It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
(male)

WiMike HB User
Question Stroke

My mom is 82 years old and had a minor stroke 2 months ago and was put on coumadin. Then had another stroke 3 weeks ago and had MRI and MRA tests that showed some brain blockage and the Neurologist switched her to 325mg of aspirin, told her there is nothing that can be done in brain artery blokages, sent her on her way and just told her "come back in a month unless something happens." Well we are nervously wondering are we just waiting for another stroke to happen here or is the aspirin the solution and we all can relax. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User
Re: Stroke

The mystery and ruthlessness of stroke, we know all about it. I personally think aspirin can be just as good or better than coumadin, and relaxing is the best thing to do.

Make sure her blood pressure is controlled, she eats a light, low cholesterol diet and does some easy exercise such as chair yoga, for example (you can look it up), or walking. Keep her as stress free as possible, well hydrated, and help her keep her spirits up. Keep us posted, wishing you both the best.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tinam7
james4478 (11-19-2012), WiMike (11-19-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
WiMike (11-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiMike View Post
My mom is 82 years old and had a minor stroke 2 months ago and was put on coumadin. Then had another stroke 3 weeks ago and had MRI and MRA tests that showed some brain blockage and the Neurologist switched her to 325mg of aspirin, told her there is nothing that can be done in brain artery blokages, sent her on her way and just told her "come back in a month unless something happens." Well we are nervously wondering are we just waiting for another stroke to happen here or is the aspirin the solution and we all can relax. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and welcome to our family of stroke survivors and caregivers. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. It is a worry and we depend so much on the advice and direction of doctors it makes it very difficult when we feel they are not giving the close attention they should. However, I do agree with Tinam7, there is so much you can do on your own. Research and devise your own plan and as she said blood pressure is so important to make sure its being controlled. Monitoring her blood pressure daily is a good thing.
However I always get furious when patients dont recieve the best care they should. You are your mom's advocate and it seems so many times we must demand answers and good care for ourselves and our loved ones. You most certainly deserve a second opinion and you can ask for that. It is your right, and you need to know inside that your doing everything so you can relax. Prevention of further strokes is what your doctors should be doing, however in saying that like tina7 said there is so much you can do. Controlling our stress, changing diet, controlling our BP are all life saving measures and awesome stradagies in prevention. Go through and read some posts on this site you will gain a lot of information and encouragement. Please continue to post and any questions you may have.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Beautiful post, Mulchie, as always. You have such a gift of extending yourself.

Now I am not your mother's age; but, in fact, am not so far behind. A senior for sure. What also occurred to me is that our confidence can be quite shaken with a stroke. An older person is possibly unnerved even more. So whatever you can do to encourage her to pick up her life, do for herself as she did before, find her pleasures, will be invaluable to her recovery. She may make mistakes here and there (as I do) but we can catch and correct them and that's what counts.

Posting this is a good reminder to myself too and that's the beauty of sharing. Thank you. Let us know how she is getting along.

Reply Reply