It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User
Five month plus

I am getting use to my numbness as it really seems to get bad if I am typing or holding a phone or focusing on one thing too long. I really do feel lucky to be here and I am now feeling the pain of a very numb shoulder and toes. My elbow hurts now when I straighten it out completely. I exercise everyday with weights trying to keep flexibility and movement. My doctor says everything looks good. I just wish it felt that way. I am being patient waiting for improvement in my numbness and look forward to that.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: Five month plus

g,day guyp,
great to hear you are doing well. when trainning with weights remember to do the full range of the movement. don't get carried away with the amount of weight your moving.
good luck and keep up the good work.

george.........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Good news from your doctor. The rest will improve. My elbow hurts in the morning and eases as the day progresses. We do a toe stretch in yoga I like: sitting on bent knees, on heels of feet, toes bent forward. You can look it up simply as yoga toe stretch and see it illustrated.

My shoulder is affected too. So I do shoulder raises; shoulder circles both directions; arms extended to the side and do small and larger circles in both directions. Weights are good but keep them easy to move, as George says. I put on favorite music and actually enjoy the exercises. Nice progress for you.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinam7:
Mulchie (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyp View Post
I am getting use to my numbness as it really seems to get bad if I am typing or holding a phone or focusing on one thing too long. I really do feel lucky to be here and I am now feeling the pain of a very numb shoulder and toes. My elbow hurts now when I straighten it out completely. I exercise everyday with weights trying to keep flexibility and movement. My doctor says everything looks good. I just wish it felt that way. I am being patient waiting for improvement in my numbness and look forward to that.
Hello
when I was reading your post I am understand that you are experiencing new pain new restrictions is that right? George is so right about being careful with weights etc however I couldnt help but ask about your medication.
I was on a cholesterol drug just after my stroke and was not aware of the side effects. After some time on this drug my arms were become very weak and I suddenly developed a frozen shoulder. They were sending me for physio for Goodness sakes and I then started researching the drugs I was on. Now this does not mean you should go off your meds I am just tell you to research them. Not everyone gets the side effects but if your one of the lucky ones like me who gets the side effects it might be as easy as changing your meds. The side effects to the drug I was on was muscle deteration and cramping. Muscle fatique. I had my meds changed and my muscles have gotten continuesly better and my frozen shoulder is gone. Just a thought.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Prevestatin
Aggrenox
Aspirin
Tylenol

Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
(male)

Prevestatin
Aggrenox
Aspirin
Tylenol

Old 11-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyp View Post
Prevestatin
Aggrenox
Aspirin
Tylenol
It was crestor that I was on. I guess Im just saying read the side effects and be aware of what you are on. the problem I had was they put me on that drug 5 days into stroke recovery and I thought the symptoms were because of the stroke. So because I was unable to make my thoughts know clearly to anyone I just stayed on it and went along untill my mind cleared and I was able to question things and then had the abilitiy to research it myself. That is when I started to question it. However I am no doctor as you know and I dont suggest anyone go off their drugs I am just saying that I want people to be aware of what you are on and what the side effects are so you can better understand how and what your feeling and your progress. Sometimes its just a matter of the doctor switiching to another brand with less side effects. So if you are questioning any drug check with your doctor, ask questions and research. I think Doctors like it when we go into an appointment with the knowledge of our drugs and our condition. I think we like it too. And it makes for a much better visit and we can ask the important questions we need to ask. God Bless Mulchie

Last edited by Mulchie; 11-23-2012 at 05:37 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
guyp (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Of course you take what a doctor says unless you are a fiendish rebel like me. It's a gamble, for sure. Guess I'm a gambler. But I experienced the terribly sorrowful example of my brother with strokes, a four year slide.

It is my firm belief that we have immense powers within us to overcome our genetic dispositions. My brother took everything dished out, caved in, suffered terribly, and only went downhill. Hence my contrarian stance.

Want to add Pyramid Pose or just Pyramid clasp: reaching back with both arms, hands clasping. This straightens and strengthens arms, shoulders, and straightens our all important spine. Helps us maintain good posture.

guyp (11-23-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
guyp (11-23-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day Guyp,
How are you, well? The whole of my right side is numb, and like you when I’m under stress or “multi-tasking “the numbness increases. You have to be careful, knowing how much force you are applying with your numb hand.
I’ll give you an example. The other day I was changing a “long life” light bulb, not realizing how much pressure I was applying the bulb broke in my hand.
Also sometimes it takes a while to register temperature, for example when having a shower.
I’m sure you are aware of all these things. I felt I had to share some of my experiences with you. Keep up the training and good luck mate.
George …………………..

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
guyp (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
(male)

Thanks for the info. Your right the more stress I have the more the numbness becomes more pronounced. It just seems to keep growing. It is very nerve racking. My hand and arm got very stiff today.

The following user gives a hug of support to guyp:
tinam7 (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
(female)

It can get discouraging when you work your head off and you're not sure whether there is any improvement or all wishful thinking. But I can say I am least aware of the damage when I'm walking outdoors. The air, sky, sun, trees, bushes, grass, birds, etc. distract me, raise my spirit and I can forget the rest. For that 30-40 minutes it's a very welcome reprieve. Gets me out there every day.

Not sure I was fully aware of why I get out regularly until I wrote this. That's the beauty part of sharing and encouraging each other.

guyp (11-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
guyp (11-25-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

My dear friend tinam7
Yes our daily struggles can be discouraging and we fight to keep motivated and our days filled with hope. You are a very strong person with so much to give. Your posts here have been a saving grace for so many and it is people like yourself who make this website the dynamic inspiring place that it is. So much encouragement comes from those who have suffered or are suffering with the same daily battles and trials that we oursleves are battling. Such strength comes from our posts and our sharing. It is unbelievable the good work you have done.
Your walks outside are such a blessing to gain that peace and regain your balance. I find it is as important as our breathing. We must do it and we must continue doing it or we will not thrive. And it is all about not just living and not just going day to day but thriving in this new life we have been given. So much is unknown to us but one thing we do know, we were saved for a reason and thats a great thing. We know we must march forward and keep our vision for a better life always outfront where we can see it. We must rely on friends ( your stroke board family ) to help you get over the mountains that we are constantly challenged and required to climb, and we do.
We are survivors, we are strong and we beat the odds. We are the battlers of depression, fear, uncertainty, and we win those battles. We win them every day and we help others win their battles.
To you my friend I hope God blesses you with a great abundance of joy and peace for all the good you do on this earth. God Bless Mulchie

Last edited by Mulchie; 11-26-2012 at 07:36 AM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
guyp (11-26-2012), Iwamura (11-26-2012), tinam7 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
(female)

Thank you Mulchie, that is so dear of you. Wish it were true, some of it is, and the rest we all work at together.

It is wonderful to come here and share our struggles, our experiences. Am very grateful for the site and the heroic people here.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Hello guyp,
I hope you had a good day today. I know it's hard but let's help each other through these tough days. There are days where I just want to have my own pity party but I realize we have so much to be thankful for. I KNOW it does not take the hardship and pain away but we are all praying and wishing you well. My days are going about the same. Neurologist said last week that my stroke was near the thalamus which explains the hypersensitive and sensory issues I am having. My entire right side from my scalp to me foot hurts. Dr wants to double my cymbalta dosage in another week.

Hang in there buddy!
Iwamura

The following user gives a hug of support to Iwamura:
guyp (11-26-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Iwamura For This Useful Post:
guyp (11-26-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
(male)

Now I have a broken tooth and my doctor said it was too risky to go off of my blood thinners but man is it painful. I now have squiggly lines in my eyes on the right side now. Man I must be falling apart.

The following user gives a hug of support to guyp:
Iwamura (11-28-2012)
Reply Reply