It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
(female)

lhdaughter HB User
Mom in deep sleep for 12 days now post hip surgery

Hi....

I am new to this board but just looking for some help. My mom had surgery to repair fractured hip 12 day ago. She has a vast medical history including open heart surgery (6 yrs ago) left hip fracture and surgery, pelvic fracture, and now right hip fracture and surgery. She has also had 2 strokes in between all this, the first leaving her a little confused but no permanent damage, the second leaving her with aphasia (can understand everything but cannot verbalize except for jibberish or yes/no and a few other words).

She is 82 almost 83. Since her last surgery 12 days ago, she has been basically in a deep sleep. The first few days, she would respond "yes" or "no" to questions but now she is not responding at all, only if they move her around she moans a bit. They have done 3 head CT scans with no evidence of recent stroke at all. She was found to have a urinary tract infection and gall bladder blockage/possible infection, although skin not yellow appearing. These infections are being treated with antibiotics.

From reading these posts it seems like she MUST have had a stroke of some sort...maybe just not showing up on CT scans?

She of course is unable to eat or drink and is on IV fluids only so far. They are waiting to see if antibiotics help with gallbladder, but have also indicated that my mom may need additional surgery on this, which I honestly don't see how they can do if she is already sleeping.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can share...just looking for some answers or how to deal with this....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User
Re: Mom in deep sleep for 12 days now post hip surgery

Your mother has suffered so much and now this. We are so sorry for her and your family. Stroke does not always necessarily show up on tests (as far as I know). But the symptoms sometimes speak for themselves. Sleep helps the brain to heal. Sleep is good. Maybe they ought to hold off for the next surgery.

She may be able to hear, so reassure her and help her to remain hopeful. Maybe this can help some. Wishing her and you the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
lhdaughter (11-25-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

I am so sorry to hear what your mom is going through. Its so hard when there is no clear cut answers and reasons for what the person is going through. I do know that CT scans dont always show a stroke only an MRI is absolute in determining Stroke. I have read many posts on this board where they had ct scans and it never showed stroke until an MRI was done. So maybe you can insist on an MRI to find out for sure.
Your mom has been through so much I am so sorry for that. She must be very strong women to sustain all of that and continue on.
II hope you get some answers soon. Please continue to post and let us know how you and your mom are doing.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

is she septic? what do her blood counts show? how are her potassium an sodium levels? I know my mom's sodium levels went way low several years ago and it was if she had Alzheimers, she didn't know who anyone was or anything. Just wondering, cathy

Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
(female)

lhdaughter HB User

Hi Everyone...

Thanks for all your posts. They were helpful...
Just wanted to update you all that my mom passed away last Monday afternoon.

During the 2 weeks that she was in a deep sleep postop, she had a low grade temperature. I think I mentioned that they were trying to figure out where the infection was coming from, but couldn't pin it down. She had gallbladder blockage but it didn't look like infection. She had a UTI diagnosed post surgery but they certainly gave her enough antibiotics to cover that.

That weekend her fever shot up to 103 something and they had ice packs on her to try and reduce it. She slipped into a coma and passed away. We still do not know what caused the deep sleep, although I suspect it was a stroke, and what caused the infection. The neurologist told my sister that for someone her age to have that high of a fever, she must have had a "raging infection".

Thanks again for your posts...I appreciate it. At least we were able to be there with her when she passed. She was surrounded by her family. As heartbreaking as it was, she is not suffering any more, and that is some comfort.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

My deepest sympathy my dear for your terrible loss. May you pull strength from knowing you are in our thoughts and prayers.
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
lhdaughter (12-09-2012)
Reply Reply