It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
(male)

fstx HB User
I found my mother 8 hours after stroke

Hello.

My mother had a stroke 5 days ago and unfortunately I found her at least 8 hours after her stroke. I am living in a 3rd world country and it took another 4 hours to move her to a stroke unit.

Her ischemia is on left side of her brain and she can't move her right leg and arm and she can't talk. Doctor is saying she has half consciousness ( I don't even know what half means). Doctors doesn't allow me to see her or anyone and they only keep monitoring her 24/7 to prevent recurrent stroke. They only allowed me to see her for 5 mins. She was looking terrible but she tried to kiss me and she was responding my questions (by head). I am 100% sure she was understanding me, I hope she can understand people.

My question is how bad to find a stroke victim that late (~12 hours)? Could damage be permanent, is it possible?

I am completely alone, she is my only living relative and I am her only living relative. ofc I am feeling terrible is there any chance can everything go well?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User
Re: I found my mother 8 hours after stroke

We are so very sorry for this terrible blow to your mother and you. But you can both have your hope up because the brain itself has wonderful ways of healing itself, regardless of timing of intervention. It is an excellent sign that she is responding to you and seems to understand you.

She will probably sleep a great deal which is how the brain tries to recover. With your love and expressions of hope and optimism you will give her the strength to recover all she can. Wishing you both the very best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Hello fstx and welcome to the board. So sorry your mother is ill. I hope she gets well soon. Has the doctor said what might have caused her stroke.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
(male)

fstx HB User

thanks tinam7

no they didn't Iwamura. But she was smoking too much recently and she is almost smoking since her 20s (its like 35 years). Today doctor said she is getting her consciousness and getting well and he said they are not treating clot atm. I can't find anything about late arrived stroke victims and treatment.

Can someone live with a clot in her brain?

Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Unfortunately, smoking is one of the leading causes of strokes along with high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. If I am understanding you about the clot...my stroke was the type stroke that was blockage (clot) that caused a moment of loss of blood flow. I am taking 325mg of aspirin daily. Some ppl take blood thinners also. My clot did not bleed out but it cause damage to that area of the brain. Each stroke victim is different. When I had the stroke June 2012, I could walk, talk, and had numbness of the entire right side of my body as if you cut my body straight down the middle from head to toe. As a few months have pasted the numbness turned into nerve pain. At first I slept all the time and was so so fatigued then depression set in. It has been a series of different phases of healing, some good and some not so good. I am not sure what the answer to your question about the clot treatment and the affects of finding her hours later. Perhaps it did not make a difference if you found her 5 minutes later. I was in the hospitals days before I was given anything......just many tests...X-rays, scans, sonograms, blood tests. So I encourage you not to blame yourself. I hope your mother will be given a chance to stop smoking. I will keep you and her in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
(female)

Travelmom HB User

Hi FSTX, I am so sorry for the situation you & your mom are in right now. Where in Malay are you? I am in Singapore. I had my stroke while in hospital, but they would not recognise it as a stroke until a month later so don't worry about those 8 hrs. They can give a certain drug within the 1st 4 hrs, but after that, the damage is done. Are you in any circumstances where you could bring her here to be treated? I have been treated quite well at the N.U.H. neurology dept. I don't like that the drs are not letting you see her. It meant everything to me to see my loved ones when I had my stroke. It made me fight harder to get home to them. I think you should try to be very firm and don't let the drs walk over you. I know they can be intimidating, but do your best to spend as much time as you can with your mum. I wish you both the very best.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

g'day fstx,
i hope your mum and all your loved ones are as well as can be. like most of us here, only time will tell how much and fast a recoverary we'll make.
you must keep your mums' spirts as high as possialbe.
please keep in touch and the best of luck to you.

george...

Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Yes it can go well. My dear hubby had a major left brain bleed and he is now in a rehab. hospital learning to walk and talk again. I was terrified at first as I have been so dependnt on him since my stroke almost two years ago. He is making a good recovery and because his was a bleed, they couldn't give the stroke drugs. He won't be able to continue as a child psycholoist or a University professor for a long while and we may have to look at moving to a retirement home but we will be together and will work it out somehow.

Reply Reply