It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

lovedadjack HB User
my dad's stroke

hello all, ive joined in this message board to gain some sort of light and guidance at the end of this hard tunnel. my dad had a stroke 4 days ago.. leaving his entire right side numb. before the stroke my dad was someone who was the life of any room he walked into and ran a successful business of custom home building. the doctors have not been able to tell us much.... but this is what i have so far... he had a blood clot in his heart that has travelled to his brain... he has not been able to speak since... he keeps saying yeah and yes to everything we ask him. today i put up a collage of pictures at the bottom of his hospital bed.... the thing that is killing me the most now... is that i just want to talk to him and have him acknowledge some sort of answer back... can anyone help me with some light or strength. my heart is completely broken.

The following user gives a hug of support to lovedadjack:
goingtorun (11-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: my dad's stroke

G’day lovedadjack,
Welcome to your family of stroke survivors. I am saddened to hear of your dad’s stroke. There are many here that have suffered strokes, some lesser and some more serious than your dad. Early on in my stroke recovery, I stop playing the comparison game because, no two strokes are ever the same.
On 18/03/2010 I suffered a clot in the brain stem in the pons area. At first my wife was told “if he survives he’ll never walk.” My right hand side was completely paralysed and numb, I was 52 at the time, healthy and quite fit, and there was no reason for the stroke. My brother and I ran a building company at the time. Thing were not going so well, the doctors said it may have been all the business pressure I was under.
Today I am working as a building inspector, writing short reports and driving about 150km a day in heavy traffic. It has been a long and hard journey, which has been made easier with the support of all the good people I’ve meet here.
I found the medical fraternity will give you the worst possible outcome every time. You have to stimulate your father senses as much as you can. Read, talk and even sing to him. Have meaning full sound around him all the time. Massage his body using material of different textures. Watch sports on T.V. and carry on as if he was in good health.
As time goes on your dad will improve, how much and when, no one can answer that. It a horrible place to be for both your dad and the whole family. The first ‘movement’ I had, were in the form of little twitches, which started about six weeks after the stroke. They appear and disappear at random.
He has to rely on his fighting spirit and will to survive to get through this rough patch. Some days it will seem that he taken one step forward then two steps back, he cannot be disheartened, it happens to everyone. You have to be patient with him, his brain has been hit an almighty blow. It needs a lot of time recover and heal.
I hope I’ve been some help. Please keep in touch.
All the best.
George……….

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Sorry to say stroke does its work on us for life, or so it seems to me. Can we ever forget it? For your dad it is very, very early to make any assessments beyond experiencing the initial shock it invariably is.

The strength of spirit George mentions is everything. Hope and a fighting spirit are our pillars to lean on. The brain does heal itself, strives to compensate for the injury. We help it along from the moment we wake up every morning. That will be true for your dad, in time. We are here to try and offer support, wishing your dad the best recovery possible.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

g'day lovedadjack,
hope your dad is improving.
all the best.
george..........

Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello and welcome to our family of stroke survivors and caregivers. I am so sorry for what your dad is going through and what you are going through. Your dad is still so early in stroke recovery and when we have a stroke our brain swells. It needs to recovery and some things improve when the swelling goes down. I know from experience and from all I have read here that you must never give up. So many times the doctors will say if its not better in 3 or 4 months its not going to get better and that is just not true. Please know that stroke surviving and progression in our recovery comes from our determination and willingess to push forward. Never give up.
Determining communication is so important for you and your dad. The pictures are such a great idea but you might want to start with one or two at first. Create a quiet and positive environment and continue to tell your dad he is going to get well. He is going to improve and he will . Your dad will get better how much we do not know but it is too soon to tell.
Insist on the best care for him and insist on answers. You are your dads advocate when he cant speak for himself. And you are not being unreasonable asking for the best care for him and demand answers for what caused the stroke and how to prevent another one. Read quietly to your dad, positive communication like George said stimulate his brain and his muscles and keep telling him he will get better.
I am 2 1/2 years post stroke and I am still improving. I have gone from wheel chair to walker to cane many of my symptoms are gone or controlled. You do get better keep telling him we all send him that message.
Keep posting and let us know how you and your dad are doing
God Bless Mulchie

Last edited by Mulchie; 12-04-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Reply Reply