It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
(male)

michael24467 HB User
Family History of Brain Hemorrhages

Hi all,

My dad (52) suffered a left side brain hemorrhage exactly one month ago. I'm very glad to say he is currently improving well. Two days after it initially happened the bleeding got worse and we were prepared for the worst, but luckily the doctors performed surgery and it probably saved his life.

He is improving quite well after 30 days, in terms of movement, mental capacity, and speech. But there is a long way to go.

Going through this ordeal has made me aware of some family history, and unfortunately on my dad's side there is a history of brain hemorrhages.

His father was finished off by one in his 50s. Also on his father's side, two of his father's sibling's children were killed by hemorrhages. My dad's brother is having some issues with slight blood clots, but nowhere near as bad as my dad's condition.

Am I right to assume that I will be at a higher risk of having a hemorrhage as well at some stage in my life, especially from maybe 40 onwards? I am currently 24 years old.

I guess there's not too much I can do, except to carefully monitor my blood pressure and stay healthy?

The doctors think it was un-diagnosed high blood pressure that caused the stroke. My dad's blood pressure at the time of the stroke was 195/100.

My dad's brother also suffers from high blood pressure.

So if it's high blood pressure, does it mean that I'm not very likely to suffer a stroke if I keep it under control?

I'm extremely glad that my dad's ok and recovering. But of course finding out all this makes me worried.

Would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User
Re: Family History of Brain Hemorrhages

Welcome to our caring community of stroke survivors. So sorry for your father's and family's connection to this misery of stroke.

I personally believe that genetics play a role, but I believe even more firmly that these tendencies need not dominate. We have great powers to help ourselves by staying on top of blood pressure, by avoiding all other risk factors, including stress, which I think is big but not always mentioned.

So....don't smoke, drink (excessively), eat well, maintain a good weight, do some exercise regularly. I also meditate and do yoga daily. These are just some ideas. Your doctor may suggest others. It is excellent that your dad is recovering which will boost everyone's spirit. Hope this is of some interest. Wishing you and your family the very best.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello
I am so glad to hear your dad is doing well. Your are right about the BP that is way too high. We know from experience and from our reading and our fellow stroke survivors that Blood Pressure is a contriubuting factor in the cause of stroke.
Your a smart to know your family history. You are smart to connect the dots because there is soooo much you can do in prevention if you know at a young age. They say that family history is only part of it and the rest is up to us and how we live our life. They say that our family history does not have to be a death sentence. Controlling our weight and the food we eat and constantly keepin track of our BP and getting proper exercise these are all great ways to prevent yourself from travelling that path. You dont have to travel that path.
It seems with your dads family having also high BP you have found the common denominator in all of this. So you can control you BP
Make yourself aware of how much salt effects your BP. Salt also makes your arteries stiff and makes them work harder. Our food now days is laced with the stuff and unless your willing to cook for yourself and monitor your salt intake its nothing for people to consume over 10 thousand miligrams of salt in a day and thats tragic. When all you are supppose to consume is no more than 1500. Getting back to the basics with eating and cooking is the way to go.
Your going to be fine. Your only 24 and know all this so early in life. Its a good thing you can stop the family history and start a new family history of good health.
Best of luck to you and your dad. I am sooo glad he is doing so well.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
(male)

michael24467 HB User

Thanks Mulchie for your detailed message.

But then again, am I correct to say there is also a good chance that I did not inherit any of these genes at all, i.e. high blood pressure, thin blood vessels in brain, aneurysms etc....?

On my mother's side no one that I'm aware of had any of these issues.

Physically I look like my mother in almost every way. Personality wise I'm it's about a 75/25 split between my dad's and mum's, respectively.

Are these problems normally caused by a dominant gene or recessive gene? But maybe this questions is too hard to answer.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Are these problems normally caused by a dominant gene or recessive gene? But maybe this questions is too hard to answer.[/QUOTE]

All we can go with is what we know for sure and that is you are some of your dad and some of your mom. How much and what trates you have from each is hard to know. However, we do know that now days our family history does not have to be our legacy. We know so much more and the information and medical breakthroughs have given us the gift of know how to take better care of our selves and not be afraid of the history we bring with us. Life grants us this freedom to choose many of our fathers and mothers did not have this freedom because they didnt know years ago how to prevent heart desease, how to prevent stroke. But we know now and there for can bring that also with us into the our future. I have the feeling your going to be on top of things and your life will be your own and the family history you leave for your family will be one of good health. Its what we all hope to leave our children.
Good Luck God Bless Mulchie

Reply Reply