It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User
Five months and three weeks post stroke

If there is something that really makes you nervous. Before you do it it can affect stroke symptoms. I went to the dentist and had some work done and more numbness and pain occurred. It was worth it simply because I could not chew. But wow I wish things would subside a little.

The following user gives a hug of support to guyp:
Iwamura (12-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User
Re: Five months and three weeks post stroke

Guyp, do you think it was the STRESS of going to dentist that caused it to get worse or what?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Yes I do. It was stress.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

hi guy, I'm 20 years and 5 weeks post stroke. there are a few words I call negative words that seem to intensify stroke deficiencies. examples are nervous, fear, anxiety, and stress. positive words include, ambition, determination, perseverance, desire, and focus. I've read of people having the numbness get worse, asking if it ever goes away? I'm not sure it does.I have complete feelings i my affected left side. not numb, not really painful, just a heavy weird swelled up feeling. I use a quad cane to walk mostly, but thanks to Sandy a few weeks ago, I watched my wife blow leaves off out mountain cabin site, till she got tired, when she sat it down I picked it up and logged 10-12 hours blowing and mulching leaves, using the blower/mulch er as a cane, over very uneven rocky surfaces dragging cords and leaf bags with me, think I mulched 1000 bushels of leaves? seems like it she told me "be careful not to fall. I told her "sweetheart, in the last 20 years I've been crushed, in a coma 9 days, declared brain dead, believed to be dead for 8 minutes, in the hospital/rehab for just over 3 full years. I'm not afraid of falling ad getting a boo-boo"! I'd work till tired rest a bit and work some more 2 hours at a time when done, I walked better without a cane than I'd walked with the cane to get the blower. longer stride, better gait no falls. I've fell 4 times in 20 years never hurt kind of scary.

my point is, ambition and determination will take us a long way to improve it goes slow, but endurance improves, my last blowing shift was 3 1/2- 4 hours didn't get too tired. spent the rest of afternoon/evening by fire burning broken limbs and leaves, was very enjoyable day I hope this gives inspiration to others to never give up and stop trying!

good luck to all and god bless

Larry/coupe

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: coupe
guyp (12-21-2012), writeleft (12-14-2012)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
guyp (12-21-2012), Iwamura (12-09-2012), writeleft (12-14-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
(male)

I really thank you for your post. What an inspiration to us all. There is no bad life just bad thoughts. Thank you for putting it in perspective for me. I am humbled by your words. My 15 year old daughter is being taught to drive a five speed manual by me. I got home tonight and was exhausted and she said "do you want to go for a drive dad" I of course said yes without hesitation. 2 hours later she said " dad your the best " my wife said " your such a good dad" I am glad to still be here. God bless all.

The following user gives a hug of support to guyp:
writeleft (12-14-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User

I carry a bottle of 1 MG Lorazepam tablets at all times. Although 1 MG isn't much it sure takes the edge off in stressful situations!.

The Following User Says Thank You to goldsworthy For This Useful Post:
guyp (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

In my view stress is our very worst enemy. But we can train ourselves to de-stress. Every day I devote at least a half hour, two 15 minute sessions, am and pm, to sitting still, breathing slowly, telling myself to be relaxed, calm, at peace, at one with myself. There is meditation music we can look up or find in the library.

I also take yoga classes. There are men taking them too. Nothing is competitive, we do what we can, what is comfortable and pleasant. There are books, there are videos. One man told me it kept him out of a wheel chair.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tinam7
guyp (12-12-2012), writeleft (12-14-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User

Lorazepam tablets ! They work wonders!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

We are a pill popping culture. If it works, why not?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
(female)

Hope I did not offend you, goldsworthy, or anyone re pills. I happen to be a total contrarian, in fact refused to even go anywhere when the _ _ _ _ thing struck, now a few days short of 2 years ago.

The reason for my behavior is the experience of my brother, 4 years of horrific suffering yet doing everything, taking everything he was told to do and take. From the moment it struck he turned into a patient and invalid and my heart is broken for all time.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinam7:
guyp (12-13-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Guy,

I loved your story about your daughter and wife sharing their love for you. That is what it is all about. I must say, I have been following all your updates, and I am so happy you are doing them. I can see such progress in these last 5 months and three weeks. I hope you are feeling great about yourself, as you sound great.

Keep on truckin'
janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
guyp (12-15-2012)
Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
(male)

Well, I am fast approaching my second year post stroke. I have improved tremendously and life is once again good!

Reply Reply