It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: confused

Hello Al
I love your post and your right the more positive we can muster up the better. The stronger we become and the more determined. You have met with so many obsicles inyour life. Battling many fights for other people and now you battle one for yourself. We are so happy to be part of helping you this time become well and strong and continue in your determinaton. This board does have one very strong common thread, we are all fighters. We are all survivors and we are all givers of encouragement and hope.
Sounds like your doing great Al.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 12-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

HI THERE YOUNG LADY, thank you for your kindness. I have all my life have this desire to help people for what ever cause. some of us are blessed in helping,. my dad always told me ,you must understand helping others will be a help for yourself.
i was telling janet today just how much the posititive attitude really does mastter, i dont just say it but i live it.
i feel my finding this health board so much information and situtations we all go thru, so its good my my well being and to be informed.
thank you mulchie? IS THAT YOUR REAL NAME?

cactus al or just plain allen

The Following User Says Thank You to cactus al For This Useful Post:
Marthag (02-19-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

hello larry
started to write you several days ago. i agree mine all went south on my left side from shoulder to arm hand and leg ,foot. its been 3.5 months to now. my arm is getting very strong . my hand is weak especially on the thumb. leg hurts when immoble and foot is getting better especially the drop foot. i exercise everyday and most nights. this all happened on our 30th wedding anniv,
we ive in san diego and the weather really helps, except we r having a very cold spell and heavy rains which bums out my stroke. we expect by christmas it will be into seventies or higher.
i hvae lived most of my lfe in so calif,orig from indiana home of NOTRE DAME. my naval career prerpared me for indurance and survirability, hooo yaaaa
i will be asking questions and thank you for your support, this is a amazing web site with amazing people. i will close for now time to get on my stastionary bike its a bummer just one hand stay strong and stay posititive.
bless you my friend
al

Last edited by cactus al; 12-16-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello there Al,

Taking a little break from all the preparations for Christmas. With the sudden loss of both my parents at this time last year, I am determined to carry on with some new traditions this year, and mark the beginning of my new life following this personal tragedy.

I must say, the stroke experience makes it all the more obvious how we need to continue to re-invent ourselves through the many turns life's journey includes. There is never a time to lay down and quit, it is like flying an airplane...constant adjustments to all the elements. A little up a little down, left wing up, right wing down, it is not a straight flight. It is not lift off, and glide at altitude until time to land.

After 50 straight years of Christmas exactly the same way, this year we plan to take off to Ocotillo to camp, and ride our quads. My children are grown, but the youngest will go with, and his girlfriend who has never camped. That will be great fun for all of us, and perhaps the start of a new tradition. No, it will not be the same as the last 50 straight years, and next year might be very different, but I refuse to have Christmas and all other holidays be saddened by what we used to have. This and many other lessons have been given to me in my stroke recovery.

I have to get a box over to the post office for my eldest son who lives in Boston, so I am off for now, but I look forward to many more posts between us.

Janet

Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
(male)

Good afternoon janet,
I am sorry to hear abut your parents loss last year , its never easy but the holidays make it especially difficult. both my wife and i have lost our parents,kinda gives a low spot this time of year. my wife is from boston yeah bean town.
yes janet having to deal with the stroke makes think nseveral times when you go to the mall or anyplace with crowds. we were at costco
eastlake today and my mind was jumbeled I have walked in here numerous times but my first time in a wheel chair,
my one finger typing is rough, last night i had very painful leg cramps ad more numbness on my right side, my stroke is effecting my left side no recovery in my left hand and now my right had is displaing numbness and stiffness of my fingers.

looks like i might be typing with my nose .... i never have experienced such pain and weakness in my legs. I think my sea legs are gone for landlubbers.legs
the posititive attitude and the love and caring of a family will buoy a old sea dog. i will close for know and go sit on my patio on the west side of the house, never never give up we need to stay alive to pester everyone else
Al

Old 12-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Old sea dog..I feel such a connection with you. I am out in my yard too..my comfort has become having personal bonfires (very small and safe) burning the wood my dad left behind from his years of woodworking. I dearly missy own salty dog.

As a child I was lucky enough to spend lots of time with him aboard ship, skeet shooting off the fantail and doing rope climbing and pushup contests where the sailors always came in second.

I never imagined life without my salty tough strong leader and in this moment I hope that love is passed to you.

Love Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
cactus al (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
(male)

hello janet

that was very nice and i am honored to be in the company of your father old seas dog is one of the kinder names given me. they say i am a second cousin to king neptune.. i have a question? wHAT SHIP WERE YOU ON THELOVE BOAT.
WOW maybe i missed by calling nothing but old destroyer uss kitty hawk and river runner bush chasser in nam, most thought we were in a foreign navy. i hve i feel a small set back, my right side is giving me fits and something new to me, i have a tightnes around my chest it feels like a band little pain but lots of pressure my stroke is ischemic have heard of anything like the description i justgave
one finger typing is crazy, my wife has all christmas shopping done and packages sentback east. just being here is enough for me, i love life and the beauty of every thing my nold sea dog days are here to stay, i hope your ale ments are under control
its nice to know someone youdont know but feels the same squak later
allen al

Old 12-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
Inactive
(female)

Merry Christmas Al,

I am a little concerned to hear of your new issues. Are you one to call your doctor when new things come up? Do you leave that up to your dear wife, or do they have to drag you in by your ear? What ever way it is, please do not let new and odd symptoms keep you from at least calling, ok? I know in the months after my stroke, I had lots of new and crazy symptoms that turned out to be other side effects of my stroke. It can take awhile to work all that out.

My living room looks like an explosion at Santa's workshop...wrapping paper and boxes, bags and bows. Although my family is down to only myself, my husband and my one son at home, the other in Boston, I did want to get gifts for the little ones in my neighborhood. After all, Christmas is for children in my book. For me, all I want or need is my family to be close to me. That is the ultimate gift, especially after knowing how many families do not get to experience that. The loss of both my parents last year has left me with all the more appreciation for those in my life.

Do you ever check out any posts by other stroke survivors? Your insight and positive spirit is just what so many of us are looking for. I feel badly when I know you have to wait around for me to drop in, I have been faithfully writing her on a daily basis for many years, only to have become quite quiet in the last year during my mourning process.

I have big plans to hit the new year running though, and being here has been a huge part of my recovery, so I plan to keep posting more often. Especially after meeting you Al.

Please take good care and keep those spirits high!

Love, janet

Old 12-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
(male)

. Avery merry Christmas and may the new year. Be good for all who do good for others. No I am not one. Who needs no coaxing or begging to go the drs, as my wife tells me I am not quick to go to the drs but I need no prompting I have a sense about me to find out the problem.
I have endured so many dates with the reaper we r on first name basis. I also go into other boards neuropathy,cardiac and diabetes. I have exchangedmessags with other personnel.if looked at my medical record since leaving my navy in1984 it really sayssomethn about. Me. I have such a lust for life I wear my attitude on my chest I really have no time for the I cannot, crowd. It may seem harsh words. But I know each one of us are response sible for our actions
I guess I need people to realize make a decision right or wrong make it, my old chief days we would say lead ,follow or get the h... out of the way
Janet please take these words as encouragement. I am doing OK must a fall the other day and itreallygot my attention. Just like the song. Do not cry for me Argentina
A safe and happy ho.liday to you. My friend
A salty sea dog who watches over everyone
Allen

The following user gives a hug of support to cactus al:
Mulchie (12-26-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
(male)

Janet ifeel you hve the compassion for others, i have a big heart especialy for little children. i feel i lost so much time being at sea or running around the senic country side of nam i have such caring for othert but i also have a keen sense of listening and beliveing.

my 12 years of navy recruiting a member of the navy career recruiting force. do you know when a recruiter is lying ???? whenhis lips are moving
take care my friend enjoy your family every day and every way

aloha janet

OLD SEA DOGS OF THE SEA
allen

Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #26
Inactive
(female)

Thank you Al, I think our group here is full of great people who feel good about helping others. It sure is the best way to feel better about ourselves, and there is always someone who needs our help.

Before my stokes, I wrote for the paper in my community, and afterwards, I could not write two words before I forgot what I was saying. It took me years to get my thoughts together enough to complete a sentence, and finally a paragraph. When I first found this place, it would take me an hour or more to get a post typed so anyone could read it. I had lost quite a bit of vision as well, as I had strokes on my retinas too. In time those have improved. I credit all that thinking and typing that really helped me get my thoughts back together...and all the people here were inspirational. I can not imagine what a recovery I might have had all alone? That is why I keep coming back.

Although I know it isnt funny, I do have to giggle when I picure you typing with your nose. That takes talent!

Talk soon...Janet

Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #27
(male)

Good morning janet'' yes my typing is something to behold. I get these burn marks on my nose when I stick to a key. I knew you were not the average typist you have a distinct flow on your words.. I see your trials of survival are a strong asset for you.
I was really taken back with my stroke, just four weeks prior my 4sept stroke date I was in the hospital for a few days with pneumonia it set me up for the stroke. I also have a permanent colostomy from my colon surgery. As you read my tails of woe life for me is not for the faint of heart.

I feel very comfortable talking with you , growing up in northern Indiana near the golden dome of Notre dame, was raised with six younger sisters so you understand why I get along with the ladies:-) enjoy the day and the magic of the holidays.I find our conversations very enlighting. My friend this old sea dog will always be ready for the call to duty
God bless you Janet
Allen

Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
Inactive
(female)

I continue to be amazed at your positive attitude in light of all you have been through. It is truly inspirational.

Thinking of you dipping your head up and down to touch your nose to the keyboard reminds me of those birds we used to see at novelty shops, who also dipped his head up and down into that red water..do you remember those? Like the bird, neither of you will ever give up! Bless you for that.

The cold and damp weather has changed our plans for the next few days. We are going to stay close to home instead of camping out. In fact last night we had a fire in the backyard and made smores, and the nice part was being able to go inside when we were done...leaving my mud boots at the door.

This seems like the very first year I have felt completely relaxed and ready for Christmas. What a pleasure. I hope you have a wonderful day with your dear wife.

Merry Christmas Al!

Janet

Old 12-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #29
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello Janet and Hello Allen
Well I feel like I am behind on all the news. Christmas set me back more than I thought it would. I asked Santa for a big energy bank this year but Im afraid he didnt pull through. It seems to be getting harder and harder getting ready for these events. However, I thank God Im still here to enjoy them.
Janet I hope your Christmas was everything you hoped it would be. and Allen I hope you are doing well also and enjoying some of the holidays festivities. God Bless you both I hope the new year blesses you both and your families with a multitude of blessings.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 12-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #30
(male)

Hi mulchie
Really good to hear from you..its been too long. I wish I could send you some of the energy I that for some reason has me charged up.. my secret is never feel like you cannot win the battle. Believe me my mornings are rough, I got this thing with the grim reaper that he has met his match.

I start off the day with a cold glass of tart cherry juice just to get the taste buds flowing I am out of bed ready to accept the challenge. My days are starting to pay dividends. I go from my wheel chair to a walker and when I sense my legs will Cary me I surprise my wife and walk a short distance without any assistance.

I picture in my mind I can do this and if I have a bad day I will tone it down and try another time but I never never give up pain is my friend and as long as I feel the pain then we are communicating. Strange huh. Well mulchie again it is sure glad to hear from you, we are all in this battle to win. We never left anyone behind. In the military and I strongly feel we don't leave anyone behind on the stroke thread site
Take care and again its nice to hear from you my mentor

I think Janet was covered with wrapping paper:-) your friend. Allen aka cactus

Reply Reply