It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #46
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: confused

Happy New Year friends!

I am a parrot head too...yet another thing we have in common.

For some reason, my words have dried up a bit. i cannot tell you how many posts I have started and then deleted, thinking they were either self centered, dull or boring.

I have also been nursing a head injury from a fall I took my first day at the new gym. Besides a big knot on the back of my head, I am very sore down the neck and into my shoulder. I was being trained by a "professional" and as clear as I tried to be how safety was my biggest concern, and my various health concerns, medications, and balance problems...she had me right up on a balance board about 16-18 inches off the floor and wanted me to step off backwards onto the heel of one foot. I did one, that was terribly off balance, but I caught myself. She had me try again, and I fell backwards onto my head into a rack of barbells on a wrought iron stand. I was so embarrassed, and upset. Poor thing, she was as upset as I was. She must have texted me 15 times to check on me. What a start to my new life of health and fitness!

Hey, that was LAST year...Tomorrow I will go back and start again, this time no higher than the floor and with both feet on the ground.

We brought the New Year in from the desert, where we brought the kids, the dogs, and our skeet set up. It was beautiful, but of course I was too sore to shoot. With all of our old traditions gone, we are working on making some new ones at each holiday.

I couldn't ever forget you Al, we have so much to learn about each other. I hate to think of the pain you are in. I have finally ended my cycle of pain and have been able to leave my pain doctor. That was a big accomplishment I worked on all last year. It has been three months now without any super pain. That freedom in that is what inspired me to get myself back in shape... and fall on my head-ha ha

Please excuse me for the next few days, as my husband has 5 more days of vacation, which means one more trip.

Peace and love to all,
Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #47
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

Janet i missed you and now with your high dive onto the barbell' what were you .thinking?:-) seriously I am relieved that except a knot on the noggin you will be OK. Events happen so fast sometimes I feel caution will cause a mosque. Its really nice in the desert just you the critters and cold nights. Lol

I am waiting for a call today to get a start date for my pain mgmt, its my neuropathy especially of my hands and arms hard to know where the stroke begins and my diabetis begins. I am from the school of hard knocks. Always played hard and to win. My dad was a football player and guess what his only son did? No I didn't play with dolls :-)

Your words are very thoughtful and so understandable. As you are painting a mural.
I bet you never thought this old sea dog had such a grasp of language except the navy nautical verbiage. Lol. I guess that is why its called a salty sailors sea chant. As you. Can tell by now I have spent too many days at sea

Well Janet its time to get my meds and go sit in this warm beautiful San Diego sun shine will be looking until the next time. Happy trails

Aloha. Allen.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-10-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #48
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi there my friend,

You always leave me without words..and that is not very common!

I went through the neuropathy, and I hope the treatment is helpful to you. Living with pain is such a burden on the brain and body. I will say, I got through it, but I am not diabetic (yet, knock on wood).

This thing at the gym was not the end of me. My eldest son is now guiding me, rather than the very cute little 20 something "trainer". She is so new, that her picture is not yet up on the wall. My plan is to walk up there every morning and spend 15-20 minutes getting my heart pumping and lungs moving air...then walk home, perhaps stopping at my favorite cafe for breakfast. Start at zero, progress to 1. I'll let you know when I get to 1/2.

So happy to have you with us...you are a hoot and an inspiration.

Love janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
cactus al (01-06-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #49
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

Janet, how could a nonspeach writer confuse you?
I am very pleased to hear your son is providing you with a structured workout .
I find it a challenge to test the Lois lane of this thread, remember superman's girl friend.

Well tomorrow morning a new p/tis comming to evaluate me for a new session of therapy so I agreed to test my abilities and lack of today was a very good day I used my walker without a fall I must have walked around the house several times

My main problem without the heart,or my colostomy. Then its my diabetic perepheral diabetic neuropathy my legs are very damaged from the agent orange I and thousands of troops exposed to the herbicide that killed all the foliage it was sprayed on. Our nerve muscles become weak and it starts to destroy mussle tissue, we have no been told there is no concrete evidence but we are compensated if we were in certain areas of Vietnam at certain times. They refer it to boots on the ground in my case boots in the water.

Sorry if I got on my soap box. Just wanted you and others to know.
I am still that wild and crazy guy from the farm land of Indiana.glad to have found my many friends. I need to be able to walk without any support.

Until we meet again. Aloha. Allen. Aka cactus al

Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #50
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Way to go Al it feels so good when we finally strike off on our own and walk without assistance. Your continueos progress is so encouraging to us all. Please keep posting Al and let us know how your doing.
God Bless Mulchie

Last edited by moderator2; 01-08-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #51
(male)

hello mulchie,

thank you for your words of encouragement. i jusdt love this threads. mulchie i alot of determination in you bye the words you speak

i feel that you dont have to have strong muscle strength, but the mental ability to drawbfrom your inner beliefs.. we are blessed that special ability and when they are joined into ONE then its a force to be reckoned with.

there have been times when i was over whelmed but i looked around saw my wife my family and felt it was time to rise up to the challenge. i cannt darn socks or boil water but in my next life i will consider it.. lol

so my dear friend stay the course and you will be rewarded weith your efforts, talk soon

aloha allen

Last edited by Administrator; 01-10-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #52
Inactive
(female)

Good day to you Al!

I must say, I am happy to have Christmas vacation over, and be back to a more normal schedule. It's like what they say about retirement, "twice as much husband and half as much money"!

Glad to see you looking into the meditation. I have a long way to go, as I have not yet bought a tape or any of the other items recommended by Mulchie and Tina..instead I came up with my own thing. I have been practicing my breathing, mostly because I have realized that I have never fully regained full breathing because of my broken ribs and collapsed lung last year. Since then, I tend to breath shallowly, because it hurts to take a full breath yet.

I am so happy to hear of your coumadin results, as well as the therapy. I must ask, what does your batman suit consist of?

I have a picture in my head..and that is hilarious. Expect more of me, now that the New Year has started. The Healthboards has been a saving grace for me for many years, and I know it is the right place for so many reasons. Just getting my writing back is my first goal. I used to be able to just spit out words, and my fingers would keep up...now I seem to have a bit of a block in the spitting part.

Beautiful day in paradise, isnt is AL?
Love to you, and we will have that lunch soon, OK?

Janet

Last edited by Administrator; 01-10-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #53
(male)

Wink Re: confused

hi there miss janet

let me see my batman suite, 2 old used wings, one rumpled bat cave, a large sling shot to get me airborne. I am very pleased with the comundin results. my main concern is the stroke, last night i had a very painful time in bed i didnt get up until 1000 am .

ihave so much encouragement from family and friends. my nephew is x marine and he wants me to walk a 10 mile trip on the sands of coronado itold him sure you start first. you said your older son is in boston, was he in the military? i think i toldyou my wife is from boston and most of her family sdtill lives in the area.

i am sorry aboiut your ribs i know in colder weather its very difficult to take a breath, i know something about bruised not cracked ribs. Yes it is another day in paradise my kind of people and my last stop in this game of life lunch sounds great anytime

willo await your response

love to you janet your salty old dog allen

Last edited by Administrator; 01-10-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #54
Inactive
(female)

Salty dog,

Hello to you, it is one of those nights for me..no sign of sleep, so I have given up and decided to write till my eyes cross.

I do have my eldest son in Boston and he did serve in the Marine Corp, boot camped at MCRD and stationed at Camp Pendleton. From there, he trained to be a fitness trainer, and eventually found his way to Boston for a job and ended up creating his own business there, and just loves it there. His dad has a huge family, with several in the Boston area, so he has no shortage of family. He was born and raised here, so I miss him a lot. We do keep regular phone calls, and I have a little package to drop in the mailbox in the morning for him. I feel so fortunate to have two sons who are healthy, kind and honest young men. The one in Boston in Jake, and the youngest one at home with me is Jared.

The batman suit sounds very flighty! Can you catch any air in that thing? I would be happy to see some good flapping action, then takeoff. A water landing might be best.

You are such a godsend to our boards. Thank goodness for all the folks here that are willing to participate in others healing. I remember first coming here and only having one or two posts here to read and respond too. I couldn't type anyway, but I did find one friend that proved to be such a big part of my recovery. Her and I are still friends, keeping in close contact. I was hooked, and eventually began to type without hours of thought and back spacing. I never read them back before sending, because I doubt I would send them if I did. That is still my policy...think, type and send..

So many times I have read them back later and wonder who wrote that? It is a stream of consciousness, caught in an ink splotch.

I hear there is rain on the way for tomorrow. I never believe it till I am actually wet. I have a walk planned for tomorrow, rain or shine. Give me the shine everytime.

Now I am hungry for a midnite snack, and off to bed again..

More tomorrow,
Aloha my beach bum friend
Janet

Last edited by Administrator; 01-10-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #55
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello Al how are you doing? thanks for the great post and all your encourgement. We need all we can get and then some.
How are you making out with your pain management and physio? I know you are battling more than one battle.
In one of your posts you said you were going out to pick oranges. when I read your post we were getting a foot of snow. It looked really pretty outside but not as pretty as an orange tree. I stopped and tried to picture that in my mind but the snow kept getting in the way LOL
Hope your enjoying your surroundings and have a fresh beautiful orange for me will ya.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #56
(male)

hello mulchie,

no i waNT TO THank evryone on here who have been so supportive. it reALLY TAKES SPECIAL individuals that suffers from such a cruel pain and fighting every moment tring to help not only themselves but encouraging others to keep fighting.

so you could go for some of my calif oranges,tangelos,lemons or limes. well all you need to do is find me and i will fill your bags to the brim. we have some of your weather it really windy and cold. i had to put blankets on my lilac bushes

i am getting great treatment from mt pt/ot today i was put thru the wringer. i just love pain..lol i need to keep a relaxed mood from my days of combat . i get a realief from this website but other military sites. i have let it go for most part but some dates trigger events..

well young lady you stay weell be posititive and smile it drives grumpy people mad life is short talk later mulchie

aloha cactus al aka beach bum

Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #57
Inactive
(female)

It is a great feeling to be in such esteemed company. I am in a phase I have always called the eave of creativity. It usually means staying up all night, draw, paint, write, something creative, and spend the next day sleepy dreamy and hungry. Before my strokes these phases would last a few days, and when I woke up afterwards, there would be sign painting all over, and some creations left from the experience. It was wonderful times that kept me in inspired my whole life...It is nice when these little flares of creativity pop up, as anything seems possible for those hours. The big nap afterwards is nice too. Back to reality again tomorrow. I have never been big on schedules, but probably would be better off with one.

Love to my friends,
Janet

Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #58
(male)

Hello my friend...what a cold, cold day! Hope you had your shine for yesterdays walk. To update you, yesterday I had my first Occ Therapy session and was introduced to new low resistance exercises which I found easy to do. This therapist is taking a different approach, I know its only been one session but I'm liking it better already. As she said, what I did last time was appropriate for where I was at the time..but things have changed and so will the treatment.

Have been promising a neighbor we'd go to lunch as soon as I felt better, well...we figured today was as good a day as any. We went to our favorite diner for fish and chips, they have the best haddock this side of Boston!

It was such a clear day we drove around the strand to Coronado, it brought back such memories of running on the beach, swimmimg in the ocean, scuba diving off Coronado Islands...oh but that is a young man's game! These days I could just see myself pushing my walker through the sand...LOL

You have such a way with words Janet, sometimes it sounds so poetic, the way you write and encourage others and knowing what you have been through yourself these past several years..you are a blessing to not only me but everyone who was lucky enough to have found this board. You had me reminiscing about days gone by and my wife pulled out all the get well cards and email notes I'd received over the years..we got a real kick out of some of them. It's nice to go back and look at the old sometimes but not for too long because life is for the living and looking to the future - whatever it may bring!

So my friend...my belly is full and the fresh air has left me a little sleepy. My wife just informed me she's off to get the dustbuster and clean the backseat...seems the fish I saved for our dog is all over the place..what can I say...he has to eat too!

Until next time,
Aloha, Allen

Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #59
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day Castus Al,
I have been meaning to respond to your posts but have been down on energy lately .Not to worry I reckon it’s just the way strokes work sometimes, one step forward and two steps back. The trick is never be disheartened, you have to press on and not look back, but you’d know all about that.
My thoughts on therapy, and its only what I think, I’m no means a doctor. You have to go as hard as you can every session. With your military training background and experience I’m sure you are well equipped to handle any sort of therapy they throw at you. I have to knock off for now , hope to keep in touch.
Mate, I wish you and all your loved one all best this world can offer.
George….

Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #60
(male)

Hello George(Mate),

I am very pleased for you to respond to my post We are all in the same boat here and each of us deals with our daily struggles, mine seemed to have multiplied over the years, cancer, heart disase, diabetes, diabetic perepheral neuropathy (and those are just the highlights) and now the stroke...this one has me the most befuddled of all.

Yes indeed, I too feel sometimes it would be easy to be depressed and overwhelmed when we are dealing with such a cruel disease.You, as well as I, have found so much support on this site it makes it easier to deal with when you know yuo are not alone.

I agree I have somewhat of an advantage with my military background and my sense of dedication to be always positive and upbeat.

George, I'm a little concerned with your lack of energy that you won't be able to outrun a dingo...LOL!

Hope you are feeling improvement and regaining your mobility, please keep me posted.

Remember George...we're in it to win it!

Warm regards,
cactus al Allen Aloha my friend

Reply Reply