HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Stroke (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/)
-   -   confused (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/931061-confused.html)

cactus al 12-09-2012 03:23 PM

confused

when i logged onto my computer today, inhave a message from mulchie and a nr 924182i cannot find any of the mentioned please help n yesterday was my first day a real ROOKIE thanks cactus al

Mulchie 12-09-2012 05:39 PM

Re: confused

Welcome and dont worry you will get the hang of it. Im glad you found the stroke board and welcome to our family. Can you tell us a little about you and what you are going through.
If you want to tell us more just go to the bottom of this message and click reply. Then type your message and click send. You will find it added to the main stroke page under Confused. Keep all your postings attached to that heading and everyone will answer you there. You can click on it any time and find out who has answered your post. Good luck. Hope to hear from you soon.
God Bless Mulchie

cactus al 12-10-2012 11:55 AM

Hello mulchie i guess i get confused on this new stroke board format. i find it difficult to type my hands especially my left is really weak. i had my stroke just over 3 months ago. i am making some progress in regaing some of my lost muscels.
i had my stroke on the right side which effects my left side of body. they dont know exactly now where on the brain,no mri due to my pacemaker..lets see i left the navy after 26 years in 1984,married sept 1982 to my soul mate and she is truley my partner in life and my caregiver. i was exposed to agent orange during my tours in country vietnam i was special forces aka navy riverrat.
in 1987 i was diagnosed with colon cancer,diabetes,1996 open heart surgery ad pherpriferal neuropathy followed with pacemaker 2008. my stroke sept 4 this year which happens to be our 30th wedding anniversary.
just a quick small noverview of my past 30 years.
dont fall over from my medical record, joined to read of others experiences., how is that mulchie

Mulchie 12-10-2012 03:38 PM

Welcome my dear friend to our stroke survior family. We are so glad you found us. Dont worry about your typing or mistakes or being confused because we ALL understand. Your doing quite well by the looks of your post.
I was so impressed when reading about your life. I feel humbled when ever I meet or read a story about someone with the guts and determination of those who join the miltary and navy. Your life sounds to be extrodinary and I would love to hear more.
Its so good that you have your darlin wife as a caregiver. Even though we have had the stroke it is hard also on those who love us and watch over us and care for us. We admire those with unconditional love and give of their hearts.
Your stroke my friends has not been that long ago. An MRI would definetly clear up things however it really doesnt change what your feeling and how your doing. My stroke was on the right side also and after 2 1/2 years I am doing amazingly well.
After we have a stroke our brain swells and many times as we start our recovery we may be experiencing some effects of the swelling. When the swelling goes down you will find some symptoms leave. However in recovery there will be days where you feel like you are going 2 steps forward and 3 back. Dont give up and dont listen to any doctors who say if its not better in 3 months it wont get better. That is just not true and it makes me angry when they distroy peoples hope for further recovery. After reading your post I know you have stamina and determination, courage and strength. All the ingredients needed to master a great recovery. You will recover how much we dont know but you will improve. Keep pushing forward. I went from wheel chair to walker to cane. At first I couldnt even lift my foot up off the floor. But not a problem now.
If you feel exhaustion that is a common thread with stroke as you will come to realize after reading many of the posts here. No two strokes are alike and no two recoveries are alike however in saying that there are some common threads.
Be kind to yourself, rest because it allows your body to heal. Keep things like P/B and diet under control if you can. I realize the stroke is only one of the medical issues your dealing with. Please continue to post and let us know how your doing. Questions and concerns your having and share any of your success also.
God Bless Mulchie
What type of symptoms are you having from stroke?

cactus al 12-10-2012 05:08 PM

Than you for your words of encouragement, mty attitude is posititive and never feel sorry for yourself. just a quick noteand tomorrow m,ore info on my travels. i know you will be very supportive and answer my questions.
cactus al aloha

coupe 12-10-2012 06:58 PM

hello cactus al, welcome to our family of stroke survivors. and a big thank you for the service you gave to our country! you are doing quite well it seems just 3 months after stroke. I'm just over 20 years post stroke myself also left side affected. I'm sure, if you have any questions or just need to rant or vent? someone here will listen and try to help you. this is a wonderful place so glad you found it.

good luck and god bless

Larry/coupe

tinam7 12-11-2012 05:02 AM

Also want to echo what others have posted: to praise you and thank you for your service to our country. Whatever we may say can never be enough.

Join us and you become part of stroke fighters par excellence. The Navy Seals of resistance and achievements. Stroke does not stand a chance. We have a life to live and put up with no interference. Welcome.

BTW, Larry/coupe, 20 years (if I'm reading this correctly) is a grand achievement, one we can all aim for. How do you think you accomplished it? Most of us are in the early stages of putting distance between us and that event we can never forget.

writeleft 12-11-2012 07:04 AM

cactus al, love that name!

I also would like to welcome you and join the others here in extending my hand in friendship and support.

My 4 strokes were 10 years ago now, but they did mark a very significant turning point in my life that I have learned to treasure.

Welcome to our family of stroke survivors. It is a wonderful place to be.

Janet

cactus al 12-11-2012 10:03 AM

Good morning janet. another beautiful sun diego day. cactus al was given to me when i was in phoneix with the navy i like cactus lol;.well my stroke was approx 3 months ago and i have made some progress, i have been throuigh the numerous medical problems. i am newto the web site and i feel it will be a life saver for. i have lost almost asll my strength in left hand l;eg and arm, my stroke was on right side , however no mri because i have a pacemaker.
janet i bet you and mulchie willhelp me, iam used to women raised with 6 sisters mebeing only boy lol excuse my typing as my right hand is sore from the stroke.
sounds like you are truley a stroke survivor blessd you my wife tells me i will win the challenge as i survived 26 years navy2 toiurs in country vietnam special forces navy riverrat agent orange i just love it
good morning janet

cactus al 12-11-2012 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=coupe;5102298]hello cactus al, welcome to our family of stroke survivors. and a big thank you for the service you gave to our country! you are doing quite well it seems just 3 months after stroke. I'm just over 20 years post stroke myself also left side affected. I'm sure, if you have any questions or just need to rant or vent? someone here will listen and try to help you. this is a wonderful place so glad you found it.

good luck and god bless

Larry/coupe[/QUOTE]
good morning larry

yes i will have questions i know life isnt fair but its the only one we have
get back to you soon. i sent janet a little bio on me looking forward to chatting on our cold winter days in san diego lol

al

Mulchie 12-12-2012 09:11 AM

Good Morning Al
How goes the battle today? You mentioned your right side was weak (foot arm hand leg) Are you getting physio are you seeing any improvement in the strength as the weeks go by. I will tell you why. In the beginning I couldnt even lift my foot off the floor. I got no help from any one medically, no suggestions of physio from dr. but my daughter made me an appointment with a sports physio therapist. What he told me really helped my determination to gain strength back. He checked over my right side and said to me the muscles are still there the muscles are ok you just have to make them strong again. They are soft because the brain has lost its strenth in that muscle you have to build it up again.
So what he was saying, is yes the limb is weak but the muscle can be strengthened. So I went to work on building my strength. Its been a long struggle but I am no longer dependent on a wheel chair or walker. Just a cane for balance. The exercises he suggested I did at home stretched out over the entire day. I would get neausea and extreme dizzyness when doing them. But the muscle got stronger and the neausea got less and the dizzyness got less. I guess It helped in building up my stamina also. Now I can walk 1 mile on the treadmil too.
So I just wondered are you on a program of physio. Have you been assessed and got a program going. If not you might want to do that. Also read up on our yoga posts it also helps a lot.
God Bless Mulchie

cactus al 12-12-2012 10:48 AM

Good morning my friend
Its a lovely day here in san diego,we r expecting rain and for us in so calif with a yearly total output averaging 10 inches we just love rain..my wife and i were just picking some of our fruit to send to my sister in lawin nh near colebrookl. some oranges,tangelos,limes guva berries and mier lemons from or yard.iwas using my walker and do use my cane at times, i even walk without any supp[ort just short distances.
yes i have had physical ther and occupational ther. iam very determined to regain as much as i can. in my lifetime i have endured alot of punishmernt either by sports or military challenges. i told my wife this thing called stroke has a fight on is hands,yes i agree about youga and other methods of mind control.
i have somenice greetings from fellow board members,we all have the c0ommon bond to be supportive. I am at the righht spot on these message boards. typing with finger is really nmeat. i almost forgot to answer your question...my attack was on right side and my left arm hand and leg are the weakest. mulchie youhave done very well i sense the4 determination in your words and for your sons arrival well done
just looked at my bloodytyping finger ha just kidding ilove to make light of issues
cactus al

cactus al 12-12-2012 11:06 AM

Good morning writeleft just wanted to give you a few more names how about aardvark al..a fighter squadron miramir vf114 or humbul al navy recruiting dist the world
just to update you with some of mypast question you said you have had 4 strokes, how does a person know if another event happens cactus al

writeleft 12-14-2012 07:39 AM

Good morning Al, please forgive me for being away for a bit. We have had a gully washer here in San Diego with this rain! Finally some free irrigation.

Don't worry a bit about the one finger typing. It is just fine.

Interestingly enough, I was also in Vietnam from 60 to 63 as a dependent stationed in Saigon. Did 4 more years in Subic 69-73. Born and raised in San Diego, it was my dad who served, WWII, Korea, Vietnam. I just lost both him and my mother 30 days apart, this time last year. I loved the military life as a kid. My dad is my hero.

I am so happy you have found this place. I found that the more I wrote, the better my brain worked.

Stay dry! Janet

cactus al 12-14-2012 09:39 AM

Good morning Janet
yes we did have some gret rain and more on the way.So you r a navy brat aka curtain climber lol. I bet you were the apple of your dads eye.. i was raised with 6 sisters me being oldest and only boy yuk. I was in country 1967 until jul 1969. in was the craftmaster of 2 boats during this period, most of my time was from chu lia to the dmz dong ha qua viet nice summer retreats,

My wife and i have our home in chula vista, bought our home 35 years ago,we love it here. I suffered a ischemic stroke 3.5 months ago, i have gone thru rehab phys and occu therepy. it was difficult at first and i told my wife mr stroke has a big fight comming. After all 2 years on the rivers in nam numerous fire fights and not a scratch. lucky me.

what iam going to tell you and all board members keep that POSITITIVE ATTITUDE even when events dont seem to come together. today i want everyone know i have walked with cane about 30 yards and with my walker at least one hour. my wife is my greatest fan.
never never give up i know its going to be difficult but keep on trying
cactus al aka al