It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User
Thumbs up 6 months post stroke

I have been to the doctor and he said some good things. Six months is not the magic number to get things back it is the number for learning about what has happened to you. The doc said when you first have the stroke you are so scared of it happening again and everything is very scary. Life starts to become somewhat normal after 6 months and your routine kind of starts to fall back into a normal routine. I believe that is true. I have learned to accept what has happen but now I will not give in. I am not satisfied with how I feel and will continue to start over to make it better if possible. I told the doc I was glad to be here with my family and friends. Don't ever give up. Be positive and accept the challenge to overcome the small obstacles to make life better. Only you yourself has the power to make it better for you and those around you. Don't push your family and friends away. We have survived a terrible attack. Enjoy what you have as I have chosen to do. Don't look back look forward.
God bless all my friends n the board and have a safe and wonderful holiday.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: guyp
Iwamura (12-21-2012), stellar7 (01-07-2013), writeleft (12-22-2012)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to guyp For This Useful Post:
redwings (01-06-2013), tinam7 (12-21-2012), writeleft (12-22-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User
Re: 6 months post stroke

Hi guyp! Thanks for the update and I am so proud of you. I hope you have a merry Christmas and a very happy new year!

The following user gives a hug of support to Iwamura:
guyp (12-21-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Iwamura For This Useful Post:
guyp (12-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

g'day guyp,
good luck and keep up the great work you have been doing. you have the right attiude. have a merry christmas and happy new year.
wishing you and family, all the best.
george.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Thanks George. I wish you and yours the very best and Merry Christmas to you and may your next year be better and brighter than the last.

Steve

Old 12-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Guy,

I love your spirit and your refusal to let your stroke set you back any more than necessary. It is so important to continue to reinvent ourselves through all the phases of our lives, and having a stroke can be more than enough to knock us far off our paths. It has been wonderful to follow not only your progress over these last six months, but to also watch your spirit soar.

May the next six months show you even more wonders of life, as the harder you look, the clearer the vision.

Your friend, Janet

Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

You guys make me smile.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Iwamura
guyp (12-22-2012), stellar7 (01-07-2013)
guyp (12-22-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
(male)

Thanks Janet
But without my friends here it would not have been as easy. I appreciate what everyone has done for me and I hope to return it in some small way.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Wonderful advice thank you. Your right it is easy to push our family or friends away in the beginning because we are so scared like you said and we are afraid of life. Time heals all so they say and I guess thats true. Like you said routine sets in. I only hope when your putting your life back in order you will change some things to make sure your taking care of you.
Six months post stroke Yahoooooo Your doing so awesome. Congrats.
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
guyp (12-27-2012)
Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
(female)

Happy new year guyp! How are you doing? Its been awhile....I look forward to hearing back from you!

God bless,
Iwamura

Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

For those of us who are willing and able to express ourselves, using our brains to direct our ten fingers to skip across a keyboard..regardless the speed- We are fortunate!

At ten years along, I encourage you NOT to do what I did...and that is linger in a state of being a "patient" long enough to have to fight your way back. That means keeping your head not only above water, but also fight your way to the front as well.

From what I know of you, my advice is without need.

Your account of your journey forward from your stroke is insightful, and so helpful to all of us here who often wonder...is this "normal"?

You are part of the core of this forum, and anyone who donates their personal story in the hopes it will help others, is forever rich.

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
Iwamura (01-06-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
(male)

Yes I'm doing great. There is more numbness and it is stressful. But some things are just kept to ourselves. I am thankful for what I have. Everything still works and I think it's amazing that our brain will allow it to do that. The stroke must have hit my sensory area. I am thrilled to tell my story hoping it helps others cope. And yes it is a happy new year.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
(female)

Hi guyp......glad you're doing great! Your notes are all so familiar! I am saying this with a smile. "I'm doing great but more numbness which is stressful". I'm at the doctor's visit: dr asks how I been doing? I am doing pretty good at the same time I am boohooing like nobody's business! Lol. Dr says, well you don't act like it! Doctor ask how my pain level? Well, it's okay....but neck, shoulder, arm, hand, leg hurts really bad and very sensitive. Lol then I try to explain how something numb can hurt...lol. Sounds crazy doesn't it doc? He gently says...no.....you have to remember you had a stroke. So guyp....you say you're "great"...which I know means you're grateful! You say your numbness is stressful which really means it hurts pretty bad. Bottom-line is we are thankful and grateful to share our stories with you!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Iwamura
guyp (01-06-2013), stellar7 (01-07-2013)
guyp (01-06-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
(female)

sunnysouth HB Usersunnysouth HB User

It's been 9 months since my stroke. I now have more good days than bad ones. I am still working as an insurance agent which can be, in itself, trying. I really have to concentrate so much more now so that I don't make mistakes. I have to be careful of my
driving also. My hearing has not gotten any better and my doctor said It probably won't which has been hard for me to deal with since the real problem that I have is hearing music. After playing piano in church for more than 40 yrs, it's hard not being able to hear when I play now. But I know Who made me and I know that He is able to do so much more than I can ever imagine.
I only missed 1 day from work after the stroke along with a few hours here and there for tests and doctor visits so am quite fortunate to be where I am today.
Apparently I have a gene from my mother and I guess from her dad that caused the stroke. That's hard to figure out but guess it happens.
Hope your day goes well and you continue to progress.

The following user gives a hug of support to sunnysouth:
guyp (01-08-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to sunnysouth For This Useful Post:
guyp (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
(male)

I just wonder why the doctors don't warn you about the numbness to come. Or if they just don't understand the feeling. It is right about good and bad days. I sometimes feel like I am in a tunnel and yet I see the whole world as it is. What to do? My foot is number than ever. The doc says it will get worse before it gets better. My whole left arm has numbness as well as neck and shoulder. I know it has only been seven months but I'm ready. I just want others to know it is okay. I know not all people are alike. That's why there is my story. Just in case someone has something similar. I sure do appreciate everyone who responds, so thank you to all.

The following user gives a hug of support to guyp:
Iwamura (01-08-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #15
(female)

sunnysouth HB Usersunnysouth HB User

Well I've never been numb. I didn't have your typical stroke. In fact, I never knew I had one until after a few days of a mild headache I went to see the doctor and had a CT done. I just have a hearing problem as the stroke affected the primary auditory cortex and sometimes I just can't think straight. I am so thankful to be alive and still able to work. I started seeing an acupuncturist about a month after the stroke as I had shingles
and was having alot of pain. They probably can help you as they deal with aftereffects of stroke. If you have one near you, you may want to give it a shot. There are no drugs to deal with and that made me feel better just knowing there wasn't something else to take. When I go I usually fall asleep with all the little needles poked in me. Soulds weird but it's very relaxing.

The following user gives a hug of support to sunnysouth:
guyp (01-09-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to sunnysouth For This Useful Post:
guyp (01-09-2013)
Reply Reply