It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User
7 Months post stroke

Hi guys,
Just letting you know I'm still here. The numbness is now where I had my sensitivity with the onset of the stroke. I am starting to get used to it but it is still different. I want people to know so they are not scared. The brain took a nasty hit and it has to try to recover. But first it has to accept the hit. I am not a doctor so this is my story. I think the hit is about over, I hope. I am fortunate and have not stopped even though it is a different set of hoops to jump through. I will keep jumping. My family doesn't really understand but that is normal. I keep everyone informed for my own sanity. My arm and shoulder have a very dead feeling. But it still works and I work it. My left leg has dead spots but still works. My left foot has toes that feel dead but still move and works. My left hand has dead spots but still works. my ribcage had dead spots but it has pain and hurts. I am thankful for life, the ability to share and all my friends on the board. Life is good no matter what.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: guyp
goingtorun (01-17-2013), Iwamura (01-16-2013)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyp For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (01-17-2013), Iwamura (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: 7 Months post stroke

G’day guyp,
Im glad to hear that you are in good spirits. Mate I don’t care who it is, unless they have experience a stroke they don’t really understand what we go through.
Keep up the good work and attitude, you'll be right.
All the very best to you and your family.
George…

The following user gives a hug of support to goingtorun:
guyp (01-16-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
guyp (01-16-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

Good morning George,i

It is I cactus all the desert romer. . Just another beautiful day here in San Diego. I know home is where you put your spurs down. I have been forturent enough to travel the world.

Yes I have had the honor to travel down under, really great people and a beautiful country
Unless you get too far in the out back lol. George I don't see you feel negative your words to everyone says encouragement so I think you are very mellow person. I believe what people miss is the gift of survival, a stroke is very difficult to deal with no matter how much support you have, the people on the stroke board are fantastic we understand the pain and not knowing what will the end results.

I find it so wonderful that we are from different countries yet have the common bond to keep posititive and listen as well as speak of our plight to survive. Let's all give a pat on the back as well a hug. Always keep in mind you are not alone you are given what you can handle.
Time for me to do my pm exercises life is not fair but it is worth our devotion to family and yourself. See you mate

Allen aka cactus al. Aloha

The Following User Says Thank You to cactus al For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Guyp, thanks for the update! Glad you are managing. Do you realize how exciting it is to see updates from our supporters?! Or is it just me being emotional and sensitive? :-) It really makes me happy!

Sincerely,
Iwamura

The following user gives a hug of support to Iwamura:
guyp (01-16-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Iwamura For This Useful Post:
guyp (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello Guyp So good to hear from you. Your journey continues and I love how you talk about it like Jumping through hoops. It certainly feels that way some times. People who have not had a stroke really do not understand. I am constantly having to defend myself and sometimes I wonder why I do. It seems that family try to convience you that you had that symptom before the stroke. Im not sure why they do that but it must bring thme some comfort. I find however like I said defenting myself saying NO i never had it before I have it now. I decided Im going to stop saying that and just reply "Maybe your right" and leave it at that. We are fighting these battles and that should be enough. I dont understand why we have to be judge and constantly questioned. So my friend I know there is a lack of understanding by people and its really not their fault I guess. I agree with George and Al keep up the positive additude and you will win. Big pat on the back from all of us. Please keep in touch
God Bless Mulchie

Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

I can only guess that people around us see us doing okay and want to wish our symptoms away. Well I think they are here for awhile, now it's just getting used to it. The brain is truly amazing to take a hit and continue to rewire and continue to work. Oh we'll I'm not going to let them tell me that I'm okay. If there is something wrong I will not go silently. I have to for my sanity. Sorry about rambling.

The Following User Says Thank You to guyp For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (01-22-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Guyp
Your not rambling my gosh have you see how long some of my posts are LOL
Yes I agree with you, we have to speak up and make known our needs. Its not good to be in the quiet and suffer in silence.
It is what it is and we are living proof of our courage and determination. My hat off to you my friend you are doing a great job and pushing forward in your recovery. I am 3 years this March and my recovery continues. My most agrivating problem is my energy. I am exhaused and it bothers me greatly. I work around it and stratigically plan my activities. The days of being spontaneous are on hold. Some days I think something else is wrong because of my exhaustion but then I read a few posts and realize Im not alone and we are all battling that fatique.
Good Luck and please feel free to ramble.
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
guyp (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
(male)

You are too kind. I know we must continue onward. It is nice to have friends that understand the hurdles we must jump over. It is a gift to have a second chance and now we must live it to its fullest potential. No one can put us in a corner or turn us down. We have earned the right to be heard. They may not want to hear it but we have the right. The dead feelings isn't the worst it is remembering how it used to be. That's why our families don't understand. When my father was still alive the words that bothered me worst of all when my niece said I lost my grandpa a long time ago. He was in the next room. My father was the same father I had and that's why I helped my mother take care of him for ten years. He was a good man my whole life and he deserved it. He had a stroke that took his speech and his whole right side. He could still drive a wheel chair good.

The following user gives a hug of support to guyp:
Mulchie (01-17-2013)
goingtorun (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

You are so right we deserve to be heard. You made sure your dads legacy was not forgotten because you cared for him right to the end. What a grand level of respect, love and kindness. Your neice only knew him long enough to remember who he once was however you knew him and loved him to know who he really was and knew he was not lost. He was still that great man inside he just couldnt speak.
We hope beyond hope that our loved ones will speak for us, remember us long into days when we may not be able to speak. To always remember the good we did the love we spread and the kindness we showed to everyone. It is those things that are our legacy and we need people to keep that light shining even after we have gone. It is clear you did that for your dad, the greatest gift you could possible give him. I can only hope my family remembers me with such a profound level of kindness and respect.
Hope your having a good day and pushing forward with determination. We really dont know what our strengths and abilities are until we are challenged and Stroke is defenetly a challenge. I wish you well my friend and please keep in touch.
God Bless Mulchie

guyp (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

Mulchie your awesome
Your advise is well thought out. I think the only time I never raised my voice was in the jungle of Vietnam we were in silent mode. Be like the wind. Yes w e must voice our opinions life is crazy enough and remaining silent will only enable someone that may not have our best interests at heart.

Its our families who need our assurance who will be there for them. Some days its so darn frustrating but be strong and firm. Also advice for the day. Lol
Mulchie talk soon. Its 76 here. Lol

Cactus all. Allen. Aloha

The following user gives a hug of support to cactus al:
Mulchie (01-17-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to cactus al For This Useful Post:
guyp (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

thank you Al
Glad to hear the oranges wont need a blanket tonight. It sure not 76 here.
I went outside to get the dog and I didnt want to stand out there very long. Very cold here but then again Im not growing oranges. wish I was LOL
You sound good Al always positive always great advice and always there for people. Your light shines bright my friend.
Have a great night Al
God Bless Mulchie

guyp (01-17-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day guyp,
How are you going mate? Well I hope. You’ll find that most people are trying to be kind and helpful, when they say you are same as were before the stroke. They do not realise that we know that we are not same as before the stroke. We know we don’t have all these symptoms perversely.
By the way, I suffered a blood clot in the brain stem, this occurred on the 18th of March 2010 at 2:45am. My wife was told “if he lives he’ll never walk”. I was completely paralysed down the entire right hand side of my body, and could not talk too good.
At the beginning of my stroke recovery everyone had advice to give me. I took every bit of advice on face value. None of these people had experienced a stroke. Even the medical professionals were not very optimistic about my future, saying you’ll stop improving after a year or so. You just have to get used to your new normal. Well I had other ideas.
Coming home after 10 weeks or so from rehab were I was a inpatient, a long lost friend came to visit me at home. I’ll call him Joe, Joe had suffered a huge stroke about 15 years ago, and had made a 95% recovery against all odds I might add. He said “ you are lucky to be alive, so what are you going to do with this gift of life you have been given. Every time you don’t want to get out bed in the morning, or don’t feel like doing your work out. Just think “ are you happy with the way you are now, if you don’t do exercise may not ever get any better. But if you do there is a chance you will get better, at least you won’t become old and think what if I’d trained a bit more”
Sorry about being so long winded. Sometimes I lose track of what I’m trying to say.
What I’m saying is to be content within yourself and be happy. “Keep on keeping on” All the best.
George ……….

Last edited by goingtorun; 01-19-2013 at 12:15 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to goingtorun:
guyp (01-19-2013)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
guyp (01-19-2013), Mulchie (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
(male)

Your right. Never stop so you don't look back and say what if! I will continue on through the diversity even though it is really by myself because it is within. No one can see the numbness or fatique or tiredness. So it must be done internally. That is why we are here. We don't say we can't. I appreciate all the responses I have received and I know that you understand the day to day. For others, please realize the brain has been under siege and changes will take place but may be unseen.

goingtorun (01-22-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
(male)

It is hard getting use to a new normal every week. I'm have more dead feelings in my arm and palm. Everything still works ok but it's still troublesome. Do you guys have an approximate time frame when changes settle down? Just wondering.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: guyp
goingtorun (01-22-2013), Iwamura (01-21-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

guyp, my leg and hand is hurting so bad today. :-(
I hope you are having a better day and managing the pain. It's overwhelmingly unnerving, isn't it?

I haven't been to therapy in almost a month. I MUST get back on a regular schedule but I feel pressured NOT to miss work for doctors and therapy appointments. I have got to get over that and take better care of myself!!!!!

Iwamura

Reply Reply

« Baclofen | Help... »