It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User
new symptoms... anxiety

Hello all,

I am almost 5 months post stroke but the last 30 days I have been experiencing a tightness or band around my ribcage. Checked it out on Google, a lot of articles point towards anxiety. Have never experienced anything like this before but feel it is attributed to the stroke and all that goes with recovery. Has anyone else ever experienced symptoms such as these...if so, I would welcome any thoughts on how to relieve the anxiety

Allen

The Following User Says Thank You to cactus al For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (01-27-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: new symptoms...anxiety

G’day cactus al,
Hope you and all your loved ones are well and in good health.
Mate I haven’t experienced tightness around the ribcage, but do have tightness all the way down my right side, no pain just tightness and continuely numb. It worsens when I try hurry along or I am under a lot of pressure to complete a task. The main reason why I haven’t being able to run YET, is cause by tightening up.
I am nearly three years into my recovery and to this day nobody can give me reason why this happens. Anxiety? I would not have a clue how to fix that. I guess it caused by worrying about the problems you may have, and not finding a solution. Well that’s my two cents worth of advice.
Al I know you will work through this rough patch, in time you’ll be all right.
George…

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
(female)

survival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB User
Re: new symptoms...anxiety

Hi Allen,
I know I'm still a recent strokee (2 months tomorrow) my emotions seemed to be triggered by my brain, not necessarily what I am feeling. I cry easily, but quickly rebound and I've noticed that if someone is smiling I automatically smile too. One thing I did mention to my doctor is my lack of anxiety - things that would normally make me anxious, like money problems, don't. Not that I feel apathy or depression or instead. I just don't seem to get the physical feelings of anxiety! Of course this could all change next week. I think it's another way of my brain showing me that it's the boss - not me.

To help your anxiety, you may want to try something that I have used in the past for stress reduction and was suggested to me recently by one of our lovely board members, try relaxation tapes. I started using one because I've been having insomnia even though I am exhausted. Just can't get my brain to stop. Anyhow, the tapes have been working. There is a post on Meditation that is helpful. I downloaded a meditation tape (MP3 ********) today and I'm going to start using that too.

Hope this helps a bit.
Have a good evening,
Sue
'

The Following User Says Thank You to survival sue For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (01-27-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User
Re: new symptoms... anxiety

Hi Sue,

Have been talking to family in your neck of the woods and it sounds like it's still a bit chilly, our rain has stopped and we have our sunny San Diego skies back...we were picking oranges, tangelos, lemons and limes this morning. We try to send my my sister-in-law "care packages" from California every 2-3 weeks, she shares with her friends so we get to spread a little San Diego sunshine to northern New Hampshire.

I fully understand about the emotional roller coaster we somestimes get on. I just keep telling myself that everyday is another chance to beat this thing called "stroke". One common trait I see here on the healthboard is no matter when your stroke occured it is a life changer, things will never be the same and everyday will present its own new set of challenges. However I still get up everyday with a smile on my face and maintain that positive attitude, thankful I have been given another day to share with my wife, family and newfound community called Healthboards.
Have been looking into the meditation tapes and will ******** to my MP3 player, was exposed to some of this early in my career so it's not a brand new concept of relaxation to me, just one I haven't explored in many decades.
I will keep you posted on my findings.

Visualize this, me in the backyard with the sun shining on my face listening to my tapes and watching the grass grow.

Bundle up and stay warm!

Allen

The following user gives a hug of support to cactus al:
survival sue (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
(male)

Hi George,

Your right, I have researched and been told my anxiety is most likely caused by situations I have no control over right now. Any other health problem I have incurred I was in control of my recovery, I could see the healing process or know what the eventual outcome would be. But with a stroke it really is day to day, and for someone who has lived most his life by a schedule and has planned his daily activities in advance, this has been a real game changer. Now, we get up everyday and plan our day accordingly, hopefully there are more good than bad, but as I am so fond of saying "any day you wake up on this side of the dirt is a good day".

I keep looking for the day I will be watching a marathon and see "goingtorun" run by...be well my friend and thank you for you words of encouragement.

My best to you and yours...

Allen

Old 03-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Hey Allen
I am 8.5 months and have that very tightening around the rib age. My arm hand and left foot has it also it is unnerving but once again I'm glad to wake up. I wish you the best.

Steve

Reply Reply