It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
(female)

Casey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB User
Waiting for MRI Results

I havenít posted anything in a long time but Iíve been lurking in the background. For those who donít know me, I had two back-to-back strokes on May 5 and May 7, 2010. My right side and speech were affected and I had a hard time adjusting to the new me.

I went back to work in about six weeks, largely because I had to. I have been frustrated with my funny speechÖI am always amazed at what strange word might come out of my mouthÖfor example I might say jam when I mean to say toast, or groom when I mean bride, but I have learned to cover the mistakes so most people donít realize I goofed. (My family calls these gaffes ďflooblesĒ.) I do a lot of speaking in my job, so I just talk more slowly sometimes.

I also have continued memory issues. I canít remember the name of something I see on tv, a street, a phone number. I have to write EVERYTHING down. I hate this and it doesnít get better.

Lately I have been experiencing headaches and a cold wet feeling on the right side of my face. Sometimes it feels like if I could wipe my face with a tissue, the yucky feeling would go away. Of course, there is nothing to wipe. I finally went to the doctor and was sent for an MRI. Today the office called. My results are back.

Minor changes they said. The doctor will go over the results with me next Thursday. Iím a wreck. Next Thursday is a long time away. Minor changes.

Tonight I feel like I have hit rock bottom. My head and face feel drippy and cold and I could just cry! I know they said minor changes, but I am not sure I am prepared to hear any bad news at all.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Casey991
goingtorun (02-01-2013), Iwamura (02-01-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Casey991 For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (02-01-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User
Re: Waiting for MRI Results

Good morning Casey.
I am sorry to hear your problems with a stroke continue. I had my stroke five months ago so I am new to a stroke. Mine was a ischemic stroke and it was on my right side of the brain. I could not get a MRI as I have a pacemaker from my heart problems.

I know exactly how you feel waiting for the shoe to drop as some say. I am a combat veteran from Vietnam days. We were exposed to a defoilage toxin called agent orange. After forty years we are still subject to new aliments'. The frustration keeps a person on edge.

We have a saying in the navy. Hurry up and wait. Its the story we want to know right away but not any bad news. Stay positive you have made this far so keep up the good fight and if you have some lingering speech just think its character and you have it. Be strong life is short live it to the fullest

Best wishes. Allen. Fellow survivor

The Following User Says Thank You to cactus al For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
(female)

Casey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB User

Catctus Al (Allen)
Thank you for your good wishes. Today was up and down, up and down, then up and down again. The days until next Thursday will be what they are. I'm trying my best to focus on making each moment count. You are right-life is short. I am going to do my best to remember that.

I am worn out tonight!

Casey

The following user gives a hug of support to Casey991:
goingtorun (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day Casey991,
It has been a long time, I certainly do remember you, we suffered strokes about the same time, and mine was 18th March 2010.Great to hear you’re back at work. I too have return to work, although it not my chosen profession it’s the best thing that has happen to me since the stroke. I drove about 500miles a week type my own reports (although that takes for ever) and answer telephone enquiries. I not 100%, but for ever grateful for what I have, this doesn’t mean I’m sitting back and taking it easy. I continually take notes because of my lack of memory.
My entire right side is still numb, the swelling has gone except for my right foot, and a small amount of feeling has return but not much. I found that when stressing over something, the numbness increases and feeling in my affected side decreases. May be your worrying about sometime but don’t realise it. Emotions are still haywire has improved slightly, I still cry at the drop of a hat and the next minute I start to laugh.
As cactus al said “stay positive….”
Keep in touch.
All the very best
George.

The following user gives a hug of support to goingtorun:
Livelife15 (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
(female)

Livelife15 HB User

Hi Casey991.
I have recently had a stroke and have got along way to go before things improve. Waiting for news on tests is terrible. Try to stay positive and we will be here for you if you need us. Take care :-)

Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
(female)

Livelife15 HB User

Hi Casey991.
I have recently had a stroke and have got along way to go before things improve. Waiting for news on tests is terrible. Try to stay positive and we will be here for you if you need us. Take care :-)

Old 02-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
(female)

Thanks to LiveLife and goingtorun-I can't tell you how much your kind words mean right now. It's funny...I am certainly not new to this stroke thing but right now I am feeling especially vulnerable. Ah well, this weekend, I managed to watch the (and cook for) the Super Bowl (USA thing!), help my husband build a cabinet for the tv and do some real estate research. Plus grocery shopping, walk the dog several times, and all those other weekend chores I love to hate.

So I'm managing! Thursday will come when it comes and I'll find out the good, the bad and the ugly then.

Thanks again for your encouragement and support.

Casey

Last edited by Casey991; 02-04-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: typing...typing...typing....

Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #8
(female)

Livelife15 HB User

Hi Casey...The positive is, you were able to do the chores you love to hate. :-)

I will be thinking of you on Thursday, even though the time difference between USA and Australia may put it out a day or so.

Take care
Bev

Old 02-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
(female)

Livelife15 HB User
Smile Re: Waiting for MRI Results

Hi Casey...The positive is, you were able to do the chores you love to hate. :-)

I will be thinking of you on Thursday, even though the time difference between USA and Australia may put it out a day or so.

Take care
Bev

Reply Reply