It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User
8 months post stroke

Hey guys,
More deadness and my joints are much more painful. I'm good at keeping this to myself. My job is to stay positive and keep the spirits high. I wish that I knew it was coming. Well it's okay living it and learning. Hopefully sharing will help others not to panic. So far everything still works and I continue to force it to do so. Please talk about it if you start to get concerned. We are here to help. I am not a doctor but I'm happy to share my experience. God bless all and thanks for all your help.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: guyp
Iwamura (02-07-2013), Livelife15 (02-08-2013)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyp For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (02-07-2013), Iwamura (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: 8 months post stroke

G’day guyp,
I learnt very early in my recovery to keep things to myself. There are people that think one is looking for pity. They could not be further than the truth. I wish I could offer you help with your condition. In March I will be three years in recovery and I still suffer from numbness all the way down my right side. It has improved ever so slightly.
Mate dig deep and hang in there, I know you are. Time is our best friend.
God bless and watch over you and all your loved ones.
George..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Thanks George. Your right. It's hard not to express yourself because of the strangeness of the affliction. I look fine therefore I must be making it up. Not true. I think I look for understanding, not pity. It is really hard to explain what I am really looking for. I need someone to say. Yes there will be a deadness that is frightful and it will be the new you. So suck it up. I guess that it what I am coming too.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

hello guy

i wanted to send you a message yesterday but time got away from me. i hope no one on this stroke board that expresses there feelings and hurts is less a person, believe me i have the ability to suck it up, its not fair to my wife or family. we are sort of a family surviving the nasty stroke word.

i was in spec ops military but that doesnt mean i am tough, i have compassion for others and sometimes we need to be listened to. feelings is such a difficult word with so many expressions of our state of mind. i get so much great feelings just to share my medical situtation.

be strong for number one thats you and if you cannt be strong fake it
guy life is short live love and learn just to survive a stroke makes you a winner

your friend allen aloha

Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
(male)

Thanks Allen. Your words are very much appreciated as well as your service. Thank you. Life is short, sweet and full of surprises. Our lives take many paths and we should feel honored to be able to travel down any one of them. Thanks to all for the support. May your weekend be filled with great happiness.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
(male)

How long does the deadness keep spreading? Does anyone want to answer with their individual case. Please.

The following user gives a hug of support to guyp:
coupe (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

hi Guy, you must be Mona's kid? sorry I had to say it you may not remember it! Mona is my wife. it was a TV commercial year ago.

I can't tell you how long the deadness spreads? I can tell you that being almost 20 years and 4 months post stroke, it has spread to cover 100% of my affected left side, not really sharp pain, but can feel the difference. some areas hurt, some just feel dead. my left leg has gained a little movement I can control, my left arm/hand/shoulder, nothing at all.
just recently, I've learned I can cross my left leg over my right, without lifting it with my right hand by my ankle. I'll do that 20-25 times before I go to bed. but I've noticed in the morning my left leg tends to curl up, and I have to straighten it out with my right leg. when before all I could do was straighten it not bend it at the knee. also, some mornings I wake up and it feels like I'd been in the sun for hours and it feels sunburned, not being in the sun at all. another thing, if you find you can do something new? keep doing it before you forget. I know I raised my left arm a year or so back? but I can't remember how I did it! now can't

I'm waiting for you to report you are running again. as George would say "keep at it mate"

good luck and god bless

Larry/coupe

The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
guyp (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
(male)

Yes coupe I'm Mona's kid. I lived that commercial all my life. I didn't let anyone grab my cheek though. I appreciate your answer regarding the deadness. When your stroke first happened how much was affected? Coupe, you don't have to answer if you don't want to I understand. Thanks for at least talking to me about it.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

Hello guy
This is Allen cactus all. I am five months post strokeI have a lot of dead areas on my left side, sometimes it confuses me with my neuropathy I put lidicane on its sore areas and dead areas it seems to help.

Living in so Calif helps as the warm sun helps the aches. I abused my body during my military career I deal with various other ailments as everyone does. My wife told me about coupes accident and following medical problems.

I never thought in a million years having a stroke, open heart surgery and other events.
Just surviving is a testament to our abilities, yes the dead areas numbness and pain in general just shows we are survivors and need to be strong for our families and friends.

Guy you and Larry are a model for me and many stroke victims. Bless us all my friends

Stay strong and posititive

Aloha. Allen

Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

hi guy, I don't mind talking about anything. I'm here to help if I can? as long as us with experience are talking, others are learning. please understand, my stroke occurred 10/02/1992I was in a coma for 9 days following. when I woke up, after being able to see and hear everything going on, the words "stroke" and "Paralyzed" never clicked in my mind! it was my wife- your mom-Mona, who had to tell me I'd had a stroke and was paralyzed on my once dominant left side. everyone mentions how lucky we are to have survived, I think I'm the only one here? who's hospital records actually state me s being clinically dead for 6 full minutes. needless to say, at age 42, was quite a shock to me! sleep the next few weeks was intermittent at best. I cried, I prayed to die in my sleep, then was afraid to sleep cause I might?

the deadness/heaviness feelings were there from the start, more like pins an needles over my entire left side. from my left ear down to my little toe on my left foot. my hand bothered me the most, each finger was tingling and burning. at about 6 months the feeling began coming back in them one finger joint at a time, after another month or so my hand felt normal though I've never regained much actual use of anything, ( a small bit in my leg) for the most part, the pins an needles are gone from my entire body there are some places, shoulder subluxed, left hip pain, and foot pain, nothing unbearable. everything from my ear down just feels deadness and heaviness. I have full feelings everywhere, no place is numb.

good luck to you my friend and god bless

Larry/coupe

PS. Janet asked me to tell everyone bye, I'm sure Mulchie would ask the same

Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
(male)

Larry/coupe
I just read your last post. I admire you for your ability to live so many years with the pain that you endure. I have pain from my diabetic peripheral neuropathy which I have had for approx 15 years, a result of agent orange Vietnam.

I see you are a role model for your family and other stroke victims. We all learn from each other, I salute you for never giving up. Bless you Larry/coupe I have such a heavy heart with the departure of Janet and mulchie they were the first ones to welcome me to the strokehealth boards.

Fair winds and following seas

Aloha my friend. Allen

Last edited by moderator2; 02-12-2013 at 04:11 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to cactus al For This Useful Post:
coupe (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
(male)

hello Allen. and thank you for your kind words. I try to be a role model ad inspiration to everyone. 1st. thank you for your patriotic service, commitment, bravery to our great country! I applaud you for it all.

I have a very full life, 3 grandsons I love to spend time with. when one of them are around everything else comes last, except my wife and two kids.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-12-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
(male)

Thanks Larry for letting me know some things I have been asking about. Stroke is a creature that is not documented well by doctors. It is a shame because there are so many questions by so many. That's why our stories are important if nothing more than to see the similarities. Thanks to all and god bless.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
(male)

Hello again ,

I must tell you that your recovery is no less than remarkable. It only proves a strong constitution and the will to live. Thank you for your kind words about my military service I told people who asked me why I made a career of the navy. My response was I was too lazy to work and too nervous to steal ha ha yahoo. Lol.

I was born in the Midwest and sometimes I miss the snow and cold weather. Now. With my stroke and other ailments I must stay here in so. Calif and beautiful beaches.

Larry/coupe I have a feeling we have the same values of America and our ways of freedom. I bet your grandchildren are a handful but children need all the love parents grandparents can give.. this site reminds me of the navy you transfer about every few years and when you meet stroke survivors like us, then they are gone. Oh well

I hope I didn't bend your ear too much

Allen. Aloha

Reply Reply