It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

Marthag HB User
75 yr old Mother massive left brain stroke

My mother was admitted to hospital for pneumonia after 10 days of antibiotics not feeing any better, but not worse. She also has essential tremors. Parkinson's has been eliminated numerous Nueros.
The following morning she suffered a massive left brain stroke. I was advised by her beloved Dr that the possibility of her surviving this event was slim. This was also confirmed later, after more scans etc., ny her Nuero.
This happened 1/28. She was never placed on a ventilator-her advanced medical directive-- or feeding tube. She was given oxygen and placed in ICU. 4 days later she stepped down to PCU unit. Friday, she will complete her 2nd week at an acute inpatient rehabilitation center.
She responds with squeezing hand, says a few words. She said my name when asked but could not say last name. I realize she understands most of what is said as well as her surroundings. She has a congested cough, but lungs are clear according to Dr and nurses and no fever. She is on a puréed diet and requires assistance. Very little if any right side movement. Today she has diarrhea .
She is fighting this devastating stroke-- her Dr's, nurses, family, and all want her to have the tools she needs to fight.
As all know, this is an emotional roller coaster for all. However, I am so afraid for her. She is and always has been very independent. Thank you for allowing me to vent. I have never posted anywhere.

Last edited by Marthag; 02-18-2013 at 08:14 PM.

The following 5 users give hugs of support to: Marthag
cactus al (02-19-2013), goingtorun (02-19-2013), guyp (05-01-2013), midwest1 (02-19-2013), survival sue (02-25-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: 75 yr old Mother massive left brain stroke

I'm sorry for what you both are going through. My own mother was a hale and healthy 68 year old when she suffered a devastating stoke, so I can relate.

Strokes to the left brain result in damage to the right side of the body. These are the kind that cause speech impairment. I have little doubt your mother understands you; she simply can't find words to express a response.

Is there any rehab planned for her? Speech therapy can help provide her with the means to communicate and to eat more safely. Occupational therapy might help her with day to day tasks like teeth brushing, etc. Physical therapy might help keep her limbs strong enough to help her lift herself, among other things. Whatever tasks she is able to relearn to help herself will be easier on you and her caregivers from here on out; but the biggest plus by far will be for her own self-worth at being able to be as independent as possible within the confines of her limitations. I saw this in my own mom.

Best wishes to you and her. Hang in there.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: midwest1
guyp (05-01-2013), Marthag (02-19-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
Marthag (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

Marthag'

I just read the status of your mother and it was error. I was in the hospital with pneumonia and exactly ten days. After I was released I was then struck with a ischemic stroke on my right so my left. Side is reeling from the stroke.
I am approx six months post stroke. I have severe weakness on my left side and still have headaches and loss of left hand . I want to tell you faith a strong belief in your mothers determination to survive.

I have strong family support behind me stay posititive and prayer works..
There many stroke victims on this board bless you and your mother

Allen

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: cactus al
guyp (05-01-2013), Marthag (02-19-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to cactus al For This Useful Post:
Marthag (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
(female)

Marthag HB User

Many thanks. Yes, she is in acute rehab facility. They are doing well with her. Only 10 rooms at this facility. She was at this center approx 4 yrs ago after a fall and hip fracture. All therapist, nurses and Dr's know her. She worked really hard and liked them all.
We have had many blessings and I recognize them
I live approx 2 hrs from where she is. I have been with her 80% of the time. She will be transported to a facility where I am in a couple of weeks. Not acute rehab but all therapies on site.
Again thank you for sharing with me. HOpe all is well

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Marthag
guyp (05-01-2013), survival sue (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
(female)

survival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB User

Hi Martha. Welcome to the board. I'm sure you have already noticed by the posts you've received that this is an amazing group of people who will be there to support and listen to you. you. I had my first stroke 14 months ago and My second stroke 3 months ago, both in the same area of the left side of my brain. I am very fortunate not to have any paralysis of my right side but I do have some pain. My worst deficit is my speech, my ability to find the right words, short term memory impairment, and a constant feeling of dizziness. My balance is very poor, so I have not driven in 3 months and have only left the house a handful of times due to the fatigue that overwhelms me.

I listed everything (almost) that I'm experiencing just to let you know about some of the symptoms your mother may or may not experiencing. You stated that she isn't speaking yet but understands what your saying - I think that's great. Please understand that I'm not trying to give you medical advice, just sharing for your benefit.

Your post immediately tugged at my heart. My mother was sick for about 6 years with many heart issues, strokes, and we had many close calls. I understand how it is to be the daughter. I think it's harder than being the patient. It sounds like your mother is a fighter. My mother was a fighter and that determination was the best medicine for her. We took the journey together, with God by our side all the way. Now I'm the mother, although at 55 I'm much younger than my mother was, and My daughter's want to fight the fight with me, for me. Please feel free to ask any questions, you can even use the board to vent. We all do!

My prayers are with you and your mom,
Sue

Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
(female)

Marthag HB User

Thank you so very much for sharing with me. My prayers are with you and your. Daughters. You are right it is tough. I am selfish,in wanting my mother. I have always had a wonderful relationship with her. She is mother and always will be, but she was best friend and I was her. She would not like this BUT she is fighting and I along with her physicians are giving her all ti fight with. I say to her "boots on the ground"
She arrived in a rehabilitation nursing home, in my hometown, and appears to be adjusting well. She is speaking some. However most of the time I get what she is saying but I am not so sure she is processing as well as I thought at first. I realize their will be peaks and valleys in this journey. I meet with care team tomorrow morning and I have a list of questions and comments.

The following user gives a hug of support to Marthag:
survival sue (03-05-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
(female)

Marthag HB User

Today i am at my mother's home (she is in my hometown continuing to fight at a skilled nursing home with I house rehabs). This is the first opportunity to get back to her home and take of some business for her. While, I love being here and it is so her smells, placement of her things, etc. going through pictures, personal items and business dealings-- she kept EVERYTHING AND I AM GRATEFUL. it is emotional good and not so good to be here. As time continues the REALITY sets in and I admit I have several "moments" and she does too. Her speech is not much better. She has experienced in the last couple of weeks chest congestion and a horrible cough -chest X-ray is clear, FEES swalowl test for aspiration was encouraging. They will introduce her to more texturized foods but the therapist and trained personnel will have to be with her. Her Dr prescribed antibiotics when a low grade fever started and it appears to help. I called this morn and she had a normal temp. A new nurse says doing well considering her condition. When I hear "considering her condition" it makes me sad. No one means any harm I know.
She cries with me everyday. I do my best to stay upbeat and continue to use our BOOTS ON THE GROUND --with our warrior spirit. I am thankful for all the DR's, Therapist, nurses and most of all the wonderful CNA's. at no time have I felt anyone is not rooting for her. I am there everyday and often, I would know if they were not. GOD GAVE ME AN ABUNDANT AMOUNT OF INTUITION. I miss my mother and I know she HATES THIS- but her will is XXXXXXXLARGE.........

The following user gives a hug of support to Marthag:
guyp (05-01-2013)
Reply Reply