HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Stroke (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/)
-   -   8.5 months post stroke (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/940337-8-5-months-post-stroke.html)

guyp 02-23-2013 06:58 PM

8.5 months post stroke

Hey everyone. Hope your all doing fine. Well for me I am dealing with more numbness in my hand, arm, neck and leg, and left foot. Now I'm not complaining just relaying my saga. Life has been good to me and still is. I at least have a small understanding of what my dad went through and I truly miss him. Life is happy and truly loved. Never look back always look ahead. My biggest issue is that I hate not knowing how long the saga continues. As long as I can I will document for others hoping to help in any small way. I am not bored I am busy. Therefore no time to think about it until I slow down. I hope this finds you doing well and god bless.

survival sue 02-24-2013 04:44 PM

Re: 8.5 months post stroke

Hi there. Thanks for the post. You sound like you're in good spirits. I agree that it's frustrating not knowing exactly what the future will be. I'm at 3 months post-stroke and am currently unable to work or even drive. Although I can walk, my balance is very poor. Most days I am very dizzy with almost constant nausea-like I'm walking on a boat. The symptoms are definitely worse if I over do it. And that can be just folding laundry! So, do these symptoms go away or do some stay and some go.

My biggest question is "Am I disabled now? Will I qualify for Social Security?" Boy, talk about your life changing in a day. I still consider myself to be a lucky to be alive.I have a wonderful husband who has been disabled with cardiomyopathy since he was 45, and now takes care of me. And, I have two amazing daughters that I am very close to. It would just be nice to know how I'm going to be so I can step up to the plate and play the game! Hope everyone is hanging in there :)

Sue

guyp 02-24-2013 07:20 PM

Well Sue,
I'm not a doctor and I can only give my experience. Numbness or a kind of deadness has slowly creeped in where I had hypersensitivity. It still seems to be creeping. Now I can't say for sure that is normal I just know its happened to me. It really hasn't changed me much just kind of weird. I wish I could give you more and I can't really say to the disabled part that would be a conversation with the doctor.

guyp 03-03-2013 08:02 PM

It has been tough feeling more numbness and my left arm and hand being affected. It feels like I'm wearing armor that is rusted. My rib cage is much more numb. I'm still moving and grooving. I love every breath too much not too. Hope this finds everyone doing better.

Steve

guyp 03-03-2013 08:03 PM

It has been tough feeling more numbness and my left arm and hand being affected. It feels like I'm wearing armor that is rusted. My rib cage is much more numb. I'm still moving and grooving. I love every breath too much not too. Hope this finds everyone doing better.

Steve

guyp 03-04-2013 05:08 PM

Has this happened to anyone else?

Meemashell 03-04-2013 11:06 PM

Hello Steve,
I had a stroke December 3, 2012 and am still dealing with the left arm and hand issues, as well as further testing to figure out what is going on and why I had a stroke. I had my entire left side tingling when I had my stroke...everything seems to have resolved rather quickly except the arm and hand. There are days I find myself holding my arm because of the funny feeling it has. Sometimes it feels like there is a burning sensation going through it, other days I had hypersensitivity and a spot in the upper arm that is so painful to touch. I was told by my family doctor that this could go away in time or it could be permanent. I work at a physiotherapy clinic and have gotten exercises to help strengthen my arm and hand, as well as I get massage therapy on it. But in all honestly, I don't feel there is any change in the arm or the hand...I do hope things clear up for you and you find the answers you are looking for...:)

guyp 03-05-2013 06:59 PM

I remember the feelings of tingling. I will be glad when this new me becomes the new normal me.