It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
(female)

Meemashell HB UserMeemashell HB User
Unhappy Another mini-stroke

Yesterday, I awoke to a horrible feeling in my right shoulder, same as the first time when I had my first stroke back in December 2012. My vision was a little off but I thought it was due to the fact I just got up. I took my grandson to school and then went to deliever letter around town, as part of my job, and noticed again that my vision was like there was a film over my right eye. I was booked for a massage for my shoulder and went to that appointment in a great deal of pain. After my appointment I went to get a tea for my daughter and I and while at the Tim Hortons ran into my step-son and his buddy, was talking and all of a sudden the vision was very "ripply" and blurry and I became confused and I thought I was speaking fine but they kept saying to me "ma are you alright", should we call 911, what's wrong! I said I needed to go home and was going home but I couldn't figure out how to move and started to cry. My step-son took me to the hospital and it was there that the doctor said he thinks I had another mini stroke and I am scheduled for a CT scan this morning. I am so afraid of having a "Big" stroke and am so tired of not having answers as to why I am getting these. There is no family history of strokes. I am going on Friday for an ultrasound (TEE) and then hopefully we will get more answers and whether or not we are having heart surgery to repair a hole or keep taking medications....very confussed and up set by all these little strokes...Meemashell

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Meemashell
cactus al (02-27-2013), survival sue (02-27-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
(female)

survival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB User
Re: Another mini-stroke

You poor thing. That must have been so frightening for you and you sound like the typical mom, doing things for you kids even though your not feeling well. You and I had our strokes around the same time. What I didn't realize was that this was my second stroke, both on the left side of my brain. Neither stroke showed on a CT Scan, only on an MRI. Was your stroke left-brain? I have been having increasing pain in my left shoulder, and last night was terrible. I had told the Dr in November that my right shoulder and front of my neck hurt right before my stroke and they kind of brushed it off. From reading your other posts, it sounds like your deficits are similar to mine yet the first stroke. I was working but felt awful, couldn't remember anything, and made lots of mistakes. After this stroke, my deficits are similar but more and worse. I constantly feel dizzy and nauseous, I have a hard time getting the right words out and I tend to repeat the last syllable of words. And, my speech is slow. My thoughts are with you. Like you said, it's wondering if the big stroke is around the corner. Good luck with your tests and keep us posted. By the way, always call 911 if something seems off. It's better to be safe than sorry!
Take care of yourself,
Sue

Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
(female)

survival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB User

Hi again, sorry for rambling in my previous post. I noticed that I repeated everything I had posted in a response to you previously which I have no memory of doing. Anyway, I meant to say that I too have been having increased pain in my right shoulder, not my left. Just clearing up my response - I told you this was my problem area!
Again, take care,
Sue

Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
(female)

Today I had my ultrasound test (TEE), all went well and feel great. Don't remember a thing, which is good! I should get the results next week when I see the doctors, both my stroke doctor and my cardiologist. This has all been so surrial. I keep saying I never thought at 48 I would be going from being happy, healthy and starting a new relationship to having a stroke, hole in the heart and all these medical test. But then I kick myself in the *** and say "hey there are alot of people worse off than what I am going through" so suck it up buttercup and you will get through this!!! I do know what you mean about the shoulder thing Survival Sue and I think that each time I have had an episode/stroke, I have had such pain in my right shoulder that afterwards the pain is gone, so I beleive there must be some sort of connection. My doctors too, say there is no relation between the shoulder and the strokes. I was told by the doctor that my CT scan on Wednesday February 27th, did not show a stroke and that my other stroke was diminishing in size, which is great news! But like myself, the doctors are left wondering what and why this is happening to me. I still believe that my episode on Tuesday was another small stroke, even though nothing appeared on the CT scan, but what do I know. I am never felt more confused and felt like I"m a hypercondriac in my life. I hope after meeting with doctors again next week, we finally get to the bottom of this. I feel like when people ask me things the past 2 days, I just keep saying I'm fine, because I've had so many mixed things from doctors that I feel like I'm saying one things one day and then have to apologize and say well no now they say that the tests show this....can't wait till I am back to my normal self

Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User

Everything you both mention is very familiar to stroke survivors, especially in the early phases. We all agree that there is nothing mini about any stroke. Strokes affect us in so many ways, some so subtle they are never addressed.

It is completely normal to have fear of the "next one", once something so unexpected has happened to you. I would encourage you to carefully process each of these phases of recovery into a continuous journey that will last the rest of your life. You have been spared the fate of so many others, and have survived. Take that as a strong base from which you continue to launch yourself forward.

It is a daily commintment to yourself that is highly worth all it requires.

The Following User Says Thank You to growagourd For This Useful Post:
Meemashell (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
(female)

I thank you for you words of encouragement. If I may ask, did you go through this when you had a stroke? When did you have a stroke? You are most right in the fact that I should be greatful that I am a survivor, which I am, as I do, as well as many others have alot to live for. I guess for me, I am finding it hard to go forward when I don't have answers as to why and what can be done so that I don't have the "big" stroke. That is my greatest fear. I try very hard to be positive when it comes to things involving my children or grandchildren but I guess when it come to myself, I find that there are days when I am having a "pitty party" and am frustrated by not knowing why all of a sudden this has happened. I will take your words to heart and head forward with a more positive outlook and be thankful that the outcome wasn't different...thanks again!

Old 03-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

You should not be having strokes at the age of 48! So the cause for this must be diligently sought. An ultrasound of the carotid arteries should be done as well as a hematology workup to detect any abnormal clotting tendencies. Your regular Dr can do a test for anti-phospholipid antibodies, which are a common clotting disorder in females. A homocysteine blood level can be helpful too as it predisposes to vascular disease, like high cholesterol does, and clotting. Hopefully, you are not a smoker or on any hormone therapy for menopause, as both predispose to clots, the cause of ministrokes. You and your Dr should be very aggressive at seeking the cause of these and doing whatever needed to prevent them. Something as minor as a baby aspirin a day can be helpful during this time when the workup is being done. I would ask your Dr about it. The hole in the heart may be related if nothing else shows up. A 24 hr holter monitor can help detect atrial fibrillation that can be intermittent and cause strokes.

Last edited by ladybud; 03-02-2013 at 01:50 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Old 03-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #8
(female)

Thank you lady bug. I have had all kinds of blood work done and my cholesterol is fine. I do not have high blood pressure and I am currently taking Xarel TO 20 mg. I have had a stress done and am currently awaiting an appointment with a doctor regarding my bloodwork for clots. They said the first clot came from my left leg and went through the hole in the heart and then struck the right side of my cerebellum. As for the other two strokes they say that they sound like they were strokes and very possible but then one doctor has told me that he doesn't thing so, as there was no evidence on the CT scan but that he does feel we need to get to the bottom of this. I am going back to the stroke clinic next Thursday and hopefully we will get some more answers and hopefully an appointment with the doctor that is checking my blood is not too much more far off. Everything takes so much time and I have become frustrated and depressed. There is no stroke history, especially in early ages of strokes in my family. I was a smokere but have quite for 23 years right after my 3rd daughter was born. I am very lucky, this I know! I have 3 beautiful daughters, and 2 wonderful grandsons and would like to be around for the next arriving in the summer. Life has been very good to me and I am in the best health. My dietician says I am eating all the right stuff, so you see this is why this has left not only myself very concerned and confussed but also my wonderful daughters.
I am not taking any type of medication or replacements for menopause either. I don't like pills and take very little medication or have ever had the need too. I used to walk alot but now I am very tired and at night I find that my legs ache. My energy level is certainly a change for me, as I have always been a goer and a doer. I have gone to so many appointments for tests and have had so much blood taken but still am awaiting answers and feel like I am constantly being told " I will send my report to doctor so and so". I ask questions but I have been told that they really don't know why this happening but we will get to the bottom of it! I know in Ontario, our health care is certainly a waiting game and am not sure how quickly things get done in other countries but it is the most frustrating thing for anyone having any type of health issues, not just stroke victims. I tell myself everyday that I am lucky and there are alot worse things people are going through, so carry on and live in the moment!

Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
(female)

Ooops sorry, I put lady bug....lady bud! I tend to read things and then when I write them down, I seem to be mixing up numbers, names or patient's appointment cards...this also is very frustrating and I have to check my work 2 or 3 times. I will put a name in the system of a patient and then when I go back into their file have found that I have typed something completely different. I am somewhat of a perfectionist at work and take great pride in how I do my job at the clinic. My employer has also noticed things and we have talked. It seems like I read numbers and then when I type them they are backwards or changed around. I have had to count money countless times for deposit, as I forget what it is I have counted. I feel like I am struggling to multi-task at my job and have had to leave some notes on my desk that tells me what to do. When I came back to work after the first stroke I couldn't even remember how for the life of me to open the email. I became very teary eyed and had to ask my employer, who was more than understanding and has been very understanding since this whole ordeal has started. I have worked at my job for 11 years and love going to work every single day.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User

I had four simultaneous strokes at the age of 43. People, particularly women are having strokes at much younger ages than ever before.

I completely understand everything you say about being able to maintain for others while feeling deep loss within ourselves. I encourage you to be very watchful for depression, as it is also something very real that can last much longer than the immediate recovery. Please be very patient and kind to yourself, you have experienced a very real event in your life.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
(female)

Hi meemashell. I haven't friended anyone yet on the board, but I would like to request you as a friend so we can chat back and forth. We have so many similarities and it's hard for me to remember what has been said, or what I've typed.
Let me know if this is okay with you,
Sue

The following user gives a hug of support to survival sue:
Meemashell (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
(female)

Hello Sue, yes, I would like that very much...I'm not exactly sure what or how to friend on this board...I find things out by accident it seems. I would love to chat with you...

The following user gives a hug of support to Meemashell:
survival sue (03-03-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
(female)

sunnysouth HB Usersunnysouth HB User

I have worked as an insurance agent for 32 years. I would so much like to retire but
cannot as I feel I would just dry up and blow away. I feel I am not doing my best at
my job and am a liability. I have to count money twice also as I take payments for
insurance premiums and write policies. My legs feel like they will not carry me and I
find myself sitting most of the day. The past couple of days have been very bad. I
cannot hear especially over the phone and have to constantly keep asking people to
repeat themselves. I cannot hear music as it all sounds like noise. Playing the piano
in church is so hard. I can't tell if I'm playing the right notes as I can't hear the music. My stroke was in March 2012. Hearing is the only thing that it has affected to
any great degree. My short term memory is awful. I can do something is the front office, turn around and completely forget what I have just done. My mother had a
debilitating stroke at 63 and her father had several strokes at 65 so I know that this in in the genes. I think I have had another one but have not gone to the doctor to see. Last Monday while getting ready for work my lower right leg and foot just went numb. It is better now but my big toe and the top of my foot along my toes is still
numb. It is just good to talk about these things with others who have gone through similar things.

The following user gives a hug of support to sunnysouth:
growagourd (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Please see your Dr to figure out why these are happening. There is a reason and most likely further strokes can be prevented. There are stroke centers in most big cities, where that is all they do is preventive care and treatment/rehab.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
(female)

Being a stroke survivor means being really scared sometimes, and triumphant other times. Things we could do are lost, and must be acknowledged, while new accomplishments must also be cherished. Life changes completely in a moments time, and it is very difficult to explain to our loved ones, friends and work place people.

We all must be diligent with further stroke symptoms and seek immediate treatment. We must share with our families the proper protocol when we see our mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends and strangers show the first symptoms, particularly if a there have been previous strokes.

Most of all, in my humble opinion is that we have to change our complete focus in life, into one that allows ourselves to recover, find new joy in life and be the best person you can be. I have found the greatest strength by having great friends who are stroke survivors. Bless you all for your struggles, there is nothing easy about stroke. Keeping close is really important.

Last edited by growagourd; 03-05-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Reply Reply