It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User
I have had news of our dear friend Cactus Al having yet another struggle with his health over the last week. I am asking for positive thoughts and prayers if you are inclined, for the recovery of Al.

I am lucky enough to have had the treasure of personally knowing Allen and the purest soul Frances, Allens lovely wife and lifelong caretaker.

What our friends here understand about Allen does not come close to the reality of this mans service to our country and the lifelong catastophic illnesses it has left this man and his wife to endure together.

His stroke is just the icing on the cake.

I am writing this without his knowledge, but would love to write the story in full one day. It would serve in honor of my own father, who also fought for our country, and passed away never sharing that part of him with me, which I fully understand.

This is for you Chief, and for Frances. I just love knowing you both.

Thank you both for every word of encouragement and words of wisdom you have shared here.

Last edited by growagourd; 03-22-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
(female)

survival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB User
Re: Thanks and Prayers for Cactus Al

Oh no, how sorry I am to hear this. I have to admit that I had suspected something may be going on since the frequency of his posts dropped off rather quickly. Al is truly a special person and even though he wrote of his health issues, he rarely complained and has been a tremendous source of support to so many of us.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his wife. If you happen to be in touch with either of them, let them know the Boston girl misses his posts.
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Praying for you Al........

Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

g'day growagourd,
please send my best wishes to my mate, Al and his wife. hang in there Al, i know you will, you are not the type of bloke that would take a backward step.
all the very best my good friend.
george.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User

I hope Allen and Frances will be able to read all your well wishes when they return, which I hope is soon. I know Al was to see the cardiologist today, and I am waiting to hear the outcome myself.

You are all such special people, I love this place.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

Well gang the real reason I may not be on much. Is my heart is weakened by lack of oxygen and this makes me tired I am on my c pap machine again. And doc increased my lisinapril for hbp. Who ever said something about the golden years. I have same attitude and enthusiasm for life. Be strong my friends

Warmest regards. Hugs all around

Allen. Aka. Cactus al

The following user gives a hug of support to cactus al:
Positive Cynic (03-26-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to cactus al For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day Al,
Mate, you may have been tagged on the chin, but your still standing. I know you’d never drop your guard, and you’d give as good as you take.
Good on you mate and may God bless you and your loved ones.
George ...........

Last edited by goingtorun; 03-26-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
(female)

survival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB User

Hey Cactus,
Glad to see you back on the board but sorry to hear you're having heart issues. I don't know if I ever mentioned that my husband has CHF and cardiomyopathy and has been disabled for over 10 years. Heart disease stinks - I call it the invisible disease because people can't tell your sick unless you tell them and even then they don't understand. I guess it's kind of like having survived a stroke, haha. He also is supposed to use a CPAP but doesn't, despite my nagging! He can be very stubborn but that's what kept him alive. The girls and I call him Iron man!

It's good to hear that you still have your amazing attitude! Be good and stay out of trouble.

Sue

Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
(female)

Hello friends, checking in on the latest...

Sue, you mention the heart disease with your husband and the use of the CPAP. I have also had my heart issues, and have central sleep apnea. The apnea appeared after the strokes, and of course the sleep studies followed. I too, need to use my BiPap Avaps (similar to the cpap) at any time when I sleep, which we all know can be difficult to stay in all night.

I have come to learn just how much of an impact apnea can have on our heart, and after learning the results of my sleep studies, I am commited to wearing mine, as hard as it can be. I encoourage all of us who should be wearing ours, do so, or encourage our partners to do so, if they need our help. My husband always checks if mine is on, or wakes me up to put it on, when he hears my crazy breathing, starting and stopping. He also makes sure the water is full every night, which I greatly appreciate.

I still sleep so much!

I can easily go through the tank of water in one night, and will take it off, to avoid any damage to my machine from running it dry. I still end up so dehydrated in the morning, and have to drink water all night to keep up. This leads to more bathroom trips, and long nights sometimes. More joys of advanced home healthcare.

So, my dear friend Allen..If you have a CPAP in your life, be one with it. I believe I get a special on my SDGE account with it's use...

Thanks and prayers for Cactus Al and Frances!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

Taking everyone's advice, feeling much better and my breathing much improved. Thank you for your suggestions on the c-pap, but I find my best breathing comes from being outside in the beautiful air and sunshine of the ocean. So when you're ready to do dueling c-paps / bi-paps let me know.

The Following User Says Thank You to cactus al For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (03-28-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
(female)

Marthag HB User

Prayers and continued strength for you and your wife.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marthag For This Useful Post:
cactus al (04-17-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

My family is praying for you and yours. Believe it and it comes true. My heart to yours.

Reply Reply