It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
(female)

karen2301 HB User
Pls help. Im a sister of a TIA survivor who is 36 years old

My brother suffered TIA 2 weeks ago. I knew something was wrong and I rushed to the hospital. The common symptoms were there; numbness of his right arm and leg, dizziness and slurred speech. We got the MRI to confirm it and he was kept under observation because the doctors said they wanted to monitor him since he was too young to get a stroke.

We were at the hospital for 2 days and he was given doses of citocoline and aspirin. After awhile, it was like nothing happened. He was back to normal. We did find that he was hypertensive and that he has high blood pressure.

I sm my brother's guardian, he suffers from autism too so I dont really know whata going on with my head and since he hardly expresses himself, I was not aware. Ignorance on my part, though family say I am not to blame, but of course I feel its my fault.

He was released from the hospital and he was doing fine. He got off the citocoline and was just taking meds like Flavix and Aspirin. But last night he said he felt a throbbing pain on his head. He said there was no sharp pain, no blurry vision and he did not feel dizzy. Just a throbbing pain that comes and goes. He feels better now but my neuro said to come in for a check up and he might be admitted.. again.

Here's the thing, should I be worried? Because every time we visit the doctor thats like a week's pay for me. I do not have health insurance for him since our health care policies state I cannot list him as a dependent. I was lucky enough to have friends who help me pay for his hospital bills and I am greatly in debt now.

I guess, I want to hear other people's experiences. Since I feel so out of my league here and I am the only one that can take care of him.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: karen2301
growagourd (04-17-2013), guyp (04-22-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: Pls help. Im a sister of a TIA survivor who is 36 years old

g'day Karen2301,
welcome to our family of stroke survivors
hope you and your brother are well as can be. i have not any experience in what your brother is going through. can tell you that the thing that helped me the most in my journey as a stroke survivor, was staying poistive. i suffered a clot in the brain stem, on the 18 th march 2010.

no matter how bad things became I tried with every cell in my body to progress forward. some days i take one step forward and two steps back.

on these are the days you have to dig deep.

I wish your brother and yourself all the very best, please keep in touch.

George.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
(female)

survival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB User

Hi Karen,
I understand exactly what you are going through. While I am on this site as a stroke survivor, having had two strokes this past year at age 55, I am also the legal guardian of my older sister who is mentally retarded and has had numerous health problems as she ages. She is low-functioning and rarely can explain what is bothering her. I have dealt with so many hospitalizations and even long term rehab.

First of all, I don't know what your brother is entitled to in your country so I can only explain how it works here. My sister is not my dependent because she is an adult. As an adult she is classified as disabled and entitled to government disability payments and health insurance. I'm hoping there is a similar program that is available for your brother.

Please don't feel guilty about the care you are seeking for your brother, or not knowing what is bothering him. I'm going to assume that his is with you so chances are you know his behavior and signals better than anyone. Do you realize how amazing it is that you are caring for him? This isn't a job you signed up for but you are doing it. So many people can't even comprehend the amount of responsibility and worry is involved in caring for a special needs sibling. Your brother is very fortunate to have you. I do understand that at times we feel we're not doing enough, or should have noticed something going on. But there is a lot of guess work. Just remember, our siblings know we care about them even if they don't tell us. That is a gift.

I do hope you can get some sort of assistance for him. Perhaps the hospital has a social worker that can help you with the process. Best of luck with everything.

Take care and keep us posted,
Sue

Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User

Hello Karen, and we are so glad you have found us. Welcome, you are in a good place.

My first thought is that you need to forgive yourself for anything you did or did not do. Strokes can happen is seconds, and there is no one who can anticipate such an event. The fact that you knew he needed emergency treatment is very important, and he was in for care asap. There is nothing more anyone could do in the same situation. Your care likely saved him from a worse outcome, and he is so lucky to have you to take care of him. Even if he cannot express his gratitude for all you do. all of us here certainly. We have such a soft spot for those who answer that call, especially with the sacrifices and huge responsibility it lays on your shoulders. The fact that you are also footing the bill is even worse. I do think you should check into any programs that might help you with that.

While 36 is young for stroke, the ages of stroke survivors has lowered drastically in recent years. We have seen folks here that are very young, and I myself was quite young at 43 having 4 strokes. I would be very vigilant with keeping his blood pressure in control. That was the cause of my strokes, malignant high blood pressure. That one little pill a day can save so many of us from future strokes. Considering his special needs, 36 years old is not too young for stroke.

What is his function like these days? What has the TIA left him with physically and mentally? How long ago did this TIA occur? I cannot imagine what it would be like to try and guess when he is not able to express himself easily. I imagine you two have come up with your own way to communicate that would be amazing to anyone watching,

I really hope you can find the right programs that will help you with the expense of his medical care. While I do not know your healthcare system, i would expect there to be some assistance for those in your brother and yourself, when his medical expenses are equal to a weeks pay for you. Of course he needs to have access to proper medical care, but not at the expense of your financial needs. What if he did not have you? How would he get by as a special needs individual? i would start looking right away by calling the agencies you know that have cared for him before. Our resources are listed in our phone book, in the social services area.

I really hope you can change your thoughts about you being responsible for his TIA. it is simply not true, and is way too much for you to bear. Let yourself release that thought from your mind and heart. Those thoughts are enough to drag your mind down, when you need it most. You are instead a very loving and caring sister. Keep good thoughts in the front of your mind as you go forward. A positive attitude is the greatest tool to have in your pouch when fighting against your own minds demons. At each turn you must learn to see them as a challenge that you can overcome, not enough to rock your boat in the least. The more times you can prove yourself to be able to face any situation calmly and with no fear, the better off you will be. Living with stroke is not easy for anyone, but it is possible where there is hope with positive thinking.

We are here to help, and are happy to share whatever knowledge we have as stroke survivors. Please come back with any news...

Old 10-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
(female)

youngstroker HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen2301 View Post
My brother suffered TIA 2 weeks ago. I knew something was wrong and I rushed to the hospital. The common symptoms were there; numbness of his right arm and leg, dizziness and slurred speech. We got the MRI to confirm it and he was kept under observation because the doctors said they wanted to monitor him since he was too young to get a stroke.

We were at the hospital for 2 days and he was given doses of citocoline and aspirin. After awhile, it was like nothing happened. He was back to normal. We did find that he was hypertensive and that he has high blood pressure.

I sm my brother's guardian, he suffers from autism too so I dont really know whata going on with my head and since he hardly expresses himself, I was not aware. Ignorance on my part, though family say I am not to blame, but of course I feel its my fault.

He was released from the hospital and he was doing fine. He got off the citocoline and was just taking meds like Flavix and Aspirin. But last night he said he felt a throbbing pain on his head. He said there was no sharp pain, no blurry vision and he did not feel dizzy. Just a throbbing pain that comes and goes. He feels better now but my neuro said to come in for a check up and he might be admitted.. again.

Here's the thing, should I be worried? Because every time we visit the doctor thats like a week's pay for me. I do not have health insurance for him since our health care policies state I cannot list him as a dependent. I was lucky enough to have friends who help me pay for his hospital bills and I am greatly in debt now.

I guess, I want to hear other people's experiences. Since I feel so out of my league here and I am the only one that can take care of him.
I am 34, and have had 3 TIA since 2012. Does he have a high LDL cholesterol level? Does your family have high cholesterol run in your family?

Reply Reply

Tags
stroke, tia