It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
(female)

Dis1 HB User
Stroke and scared

Just found this board and hope you guys can help. I was diagnosed with a "small" stroke several months ago. I had an MRI, cat scan,MRA and oodles of blood work. It was found on the MRI. My neuro said it was old( at least six months) and put me on low dose asprin. My only symptom was on again off again light headedness and alot of headaches. The lightheadedness is mostly gone and the headaches are better.

I have always had headaches and sometime migraines. My blood pressure is fine(120/74) cholesteral is 153 and every other blood test is great. I exercise every day and for the most part eat a sensible diet. That being said, the neuro thinks my headaches might have been the cause of the stroke and when asked, he said it was "highly likely" to happen again! He did give me headache medication to lessen the likelihood of more problems.

I am a nervous wreck just waiting for another stroke. I don't go anywhere, canceled our vacation and basically feel like a time bomb. Every time I get a twinge or funny feeling I think stroke. I know you guys will understand and can maybe give me some encouragement. I am paralyzed with fear and worry that the next one will be alot worse. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User
Re: Stroke and scared

sounds like you need another doctor. heck of a thing to say to someone and just send them out. I heard if you are older 70+ or so they can just write it off to old age and send you on your way. I was 45 when I had mine. Actually its been 2 years now this week which is why I dropped in here.

I can elaborate on my experience if that would help. They did a battery of tests on me since 45 was a young age to have one and I was relatively healthy overall. What they found were blood clotting issues brought on by a gentic disorder which is treatable with blood thinners. I have peace of mind now. Sometimes I notice some of the stroke effects coming back when I am fatigued or under stress and I have to run a quick test on myself to make sure. But thats not too often anymore. you know the old close your eyes and tough your nose and other coordination tests.

Worst thing you can do is let it keep you at home. I realized that if I were to have a passout or another stroke a public place was actually not a bad place to be. With all the cell phones out there someone would be bound to call it in and get me the help needed. Better than having it at home alone anyway.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by max55; 04-17-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
(female)

shug767 HB Usershug767 HB Usershug767 HB Usershug767 HB User

Hi, welcome to the board and I'm glad you found it. It has been a blessing and a comfort for me to read others experiences since so much is common among us all.

Most all of us can totally relate to "I am a nervous wreck just waiting for another stroke". In my case, the first few months were the most stressful.
I also frequently did "a quick test on myself to make sure".
When symptoms return (for me usually from stress, fatigue or weather) after being gone for a while I get very anxious again for a few days until I realize I'm okay.

After going thru a battery of tests, the only risk factors I had was family history and smoking. I couldn't change my family but there were things I could/can do to minimize the risk. I stopped smoking, never miss my aspirin each day, eat healthy (most of the time) and try to get exercise as my strength and endurance allows. I do take meds for anxiety when it runs high and I visit the board often. Those are the things that help me.

I wish you the best in your recovery.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

g'day Dis1,
just like max55 suggest. find another doctor.
wishing all the best.
george.......

Old 04-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
(female)

Dis1 HB User

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support. I have made an appointment with another neuro. He comes highly recommended. I am 62 and was perfectly healthy(except for the headaches) til this. Like many on here I guess you just never know what's in your future. I am trying to get better about living my life and not worrying so much, but when some tells you it is highly likely you will have another stroke, that's all you think about. Anyway, I will let you all know how the new neuro is and his take on things. Again, thanks everyone who answered my questions.

Reply Reply