It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
(male)

avijit12 HB User
Massive stroke on left side of the brain

Dear all

My father had a massive stroke on left side of his brain on 2nd august 2013, we are very scare about that his age is 65 years . after the CT scan Doctor said that left side of his brain had died & it will creating pressure on the other side that's why he needed an surgery called " DECOMPRESSIVE CANAIOTOMY". Apart from this surgery they wont save his life. we are very much love our father, we take the surgical decision. His surgery was done on 5th of august 2013. now he has sense, but don't able to speak and also don't able to recognize any one of us.His right side of the body was now inactive.

Doctors said that his recovery was very much unpredictable. we are two brothers i am elder one, my mother was also become sick after the incident. i want to know about the consequences of this surgery. Did my father will get recover? Did he ever spoke? i am become helpless. please help me anyone.

The following user gives a hug of support to avijit12:
daughter 01 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
(female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User
Re: Massive stroke on left side of the brain

Hi, I'm sorry to hear what happened to your father. My husband is a stroke survivor also. After a stroke, the affected part of the brain always swells. Depending on how much swelling there is, they may have to intervene. They told me that they might have to remove my husband's skull if there was too much swelling, but they kept taking MRIs and he was ok to not have the surgery. But if there is too much swelling, like with your dad, the surgery doesn't change what the stroke damaged, it only prevents the swelling from killing them right now. I mean, if that brain swells too much and can't get more space, it will compress the GOOD side, and hurt it. So, you have to let the brain has room to swell, to protect what is left. So there is no bad consequences to the surgery, it only protects the good side from getting crushed by the swollen side. The consequences of not getting it, would be death, for sure.

As far as how he will do after the stroke. No one knows. All strokes are different and so are all people. I can only tell you for sure that there is no window of time where they have to get better or they won't. Progress is a forever possibility, depending on getting the right help. No matter how bleak it looks, things change. My husband had a very bad stroke, and eventhough is not recovered and now on disability, we do have a good life together and feel blessed.

The following user gives a hug of support to Sandy Caregiver:
daughter 01 (08-15-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Caregiver For This Useful Post:
avijit12 (08-18-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply