It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2001, 03:07 AM   #1

flyingeagle HB User
Post Stroke/dizziness/imbalance

HELP! This is a 1st posting. I am desperatly in need of info. Feb 1998 I suffered a heart attack and subsequent stroke during a "stent"
procedure. Recovery was good,regaining use of limbs except full control of left arm and slightly slurred speech. I took walks, went fishing and generally enjoyed life. Approx 1 yr later, I began having dizziness on rising & loss of balance. I was told this was "Stroke Residual" altho when sitting, laying flat or swimming on stomach there was no dizziness.

During the past 7 mo I cannot walk straight without a cane,holding a shoulder or a railing. KAT scans & MRIs show no change since stroke. A MD suggested inner ear and I took meds and PT with no help. Recent doctor's visits say "stroke residual"

How can this be "Stroke Residual" when probem is worse now and is Positional. Thank you for any related information.
CMS

Old 01-11-2001, 11:26 AM   #2

cheliqua HB User
Believe it or not, it can be a residual from your stroke. The clot which caused your stroke may have effected the area in your brain that controls balance. It is not that uncommon to have dizziness as you rise if this is the case. The reason you would not be dizzy while sitting, laying, or swimming is because you are not using your balance nerve near as much as you do when you stand. Hope this helps!

Cheliqua, RN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2001, 02:09 PM   #3

Pooky HB User
You may want to try the balance bars/beems when you go to PT again.

------------------
I had my stroke on September 8, 1999

Old 01-12-2001, 03:20 PM   #4

Dore5567 HB User
HI, My father has the same problem, he had a stroke August 1999, affected his balance we talked to a many of doctors saw ENT's thought it was his ears same answer it was the stroke that affected that part of the brain,really nothing you can do, went to physical therapy didn't really help much. P.S are you on any seizure medications Dad is and I think his balance is worse with all the meds. If you hear of anything to help the balance let me know.

Old 01-12-2001, 09:02 PM   #5

JKevin HB User
As has been posted, the dizziness is a result of the location of the brain affected by the stroke. I too had a stroke and the primary residual affect I feel is an occasional sensation of dizziness.

I believe it can improve over time, mine has.
Good luck.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
(female)

lcorbett HB User
Re: Stroke/dizziness/imbalance

This was last posted in 2001. Has any new studies or medicine come out to help this dizzy situation? My Great Aunt is 85 years old and for the last year has been very dizzy. The doctor said that she could of had a stroke, but the dizziness is caused by the blood vessels in her brain breaking up. She doesn't do much but sleep because she feels dizzy too often and is afraid of
falling. I hate that her life has come to this.

Closed Thread