It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2001, 06:45 PM   #1

Judy HB User
Question Is extreme fatigue common after a stroke?

My mother suffered a severe right brain stroke last August. She is still paralyzed on her left side and has recently has periods of time when she just can't stay awake. She sleeps well at night, her blood tests are normal,& medications have been reviewed by the doctor. There is no apparent cause so I was wondering if this is normal for stroke victims. Thanks. Judy

Old 02-28-2001, 04:40 AM   #2

TrickyDick HB User
I would suspect that the medications she is taking are part of the cause. Secondly, I am sure that she is depressed which in of itself is something that takes away from someones energy and will.
She needs to know that exercise is an important consideration in recovering from stroke and also to prevent additional strokes.
I hope she improves, take care.
Peace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2001, 07:21 PM   #3

Judy HB User
I thought I'd follow up by mentioning that the doctor thought she may have sleep apnea and ordered oxygen at night. This has reduced my mother's daytime fatigue. Other than that I do believe it is all the medications which cause the problem. Unfortunately if you eliminate some of the medications other problems arise. I guess there is no answer.

Old 04-04-2001, 12:01 AM   #4

Peter Brown HB User
Smile

It is common for people who have had a stroke, particularly a big one, and I had a massive one, to tire easily. One of the body's mechanisms for healing is sleeping however everyone's stroke and reaction to it is different and other factors may also be involved such as medication or even the area in the brain that was affected.
It has taken me the past 12 months to work up from 3 hour days 3 days a week to 8 hour days 4 days a week. It is a long hard haul. It takes a lot of patience and support, I have achieved in a relatively short time others can take years if at all.
For the record the stroke I suffered was caused by an arterial clot complicated with a haemorrage. Bilateral in that both sides of the body affected, I was in a coma for 5 days, quadruplegic for 4 weeks, learnt to walk in 5 weeks. I have no known speech or memory problems, have regained my drivers license and returned to work part time, all in 18 months.
What I went through in terms of my stroke can be found at [url="http://tbichat.org/stories/peter_b2.htm"]http://tbichat.org/stories/peter_b2.htm[/url]

regards, Peter

Old 05-12-2004, 06:59 PM   #5

jklynchjr HB User
Re: Is extreme fatigue common after a stroke?

I've suffered a massive cerebellar stroke.Fatigue is also my number one complaint.Does anyone have any suggestions for treatment to combat the fatigue???

Old 05-13-2004, 05:02 PM   #6

beach_tiglet HB User

Jklhynchjr, How long has it been since you've had the stroke? How long can you go before you get fatigued? My husband had a massive cerebellar stroke, and we're at the 4+ year point. He can work 8 hour days, but will still get fatigued if pushed beyond that point. When fatigued, his deficits are more pronounced, fine motor skills are more difficult, it's more difficult to make his eyes focus on one image, he trips every now and again because the walking may no longer be smooth. Normally, he functions beautifully and drives and types and can write, just wobbly. When fatigued, it's a whole new ball game. The part of the brain that lets him know he's fatigued was damaged, so he has to look for these clues to know he is tired. I don't know of any treatment, just avoiding stress and overwork. It does seem to get better with time though, as the brain heals. For a long time he was sleeping a lot more than usual.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
(female)

dwallech HB User

Hi,
I, too, would like the rememdy for the severe fatigue. I am not depressed. I just tire easily. I started back to work at four hours a day, to six and finally after several months I started 8 hours this week, which is thoroughly exhausting. It is not my medication and the doctors don't know why. They say a lot of stroke patients have this common complaint, but no answer for it. I use to be up at the crack of dawn, now I drag out of bed to be to work at 8. At night I am fatigue by at least 6 pm if not earlier. I have tried many things, but to no avail. The best thing I seem to do is to rest, and only do up to what I feel I can do.If I do more than that, it is like it sets me back all over again. Any suggestions????

Old 07-26-2005, 05:31 AM   #8
(male)

jo49 HB User

my wife had big stroke plus brain operation. All she did was sleep. Its the brains way of recovering. That was 5 years ago. She still gets tired but not as much.So it does get better through time,

Closed Thread