It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2001, 10:42 AM   #1

SadAnn HB User
Unhappy confusion

Does the confusion ever go away? My mom had a stroke 3 weeks ago. Lost speech and right side. She is now able to walk with help. Right are is barely moving. Speech is improving. But does the confusion ever go away? She says the wrong words for the wrong things. Like she wanted macaroni and cheese and called it migraine headaches. She thinks she is at the park rather than the hospital. Is this common with strokes? Also, how did any of you overcome the depression? She has good days and bad days.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Annie

Old 05-11-2001, 07:27 AM   #2

lynnlee103 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by SadAnn:
Does the confusion ever go away? My mom had a stroke 3 weeks ago. Lost speech and right side. She is now able to walk with help. Right are is barely moving. Speech is improving. But does the confusion ever go away? She says the wrong words for the wrong things. Like she wanted macaroni and cheese and called it migraine headaches. She thinks she is at the park rather than the hospital. Is this common with strokes? Also, how did any of you overcome the depression? She has good days and bad days.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Annie
DEAR ANN
THE SPEECH DIFFICULTIES YOUR MOM IS HAVING IS CALLED APHASIA ITS VERY COMMON AFTER STROKES ESPECIALLY IN RIGHT BRAIN-LEFT SIDE AFFECTED STROKES---3 WEEKS IS NOT LONG AT ALL FOR STROKE RECOVERY I HAD SPEECH DIFFICULTY FOR CLOSE TO 1 YEAR EVERYONE RECOVERS AT THEIR OWN RATE
RIGHT AFTER STROKE IS VERY HARD ITS ALMOST AS IF YOU HAVE TO RELEARN EVERYTHING TAKES TIME PATIENCE AND A SENSE OF HUMOR TRY GOING TO [url="http://WWW.APHASIA.ORG"]WWW.APHASIA.ORG[/url] FOR MORE SPEECH INFO
IM SURE WITH YOUR SUPPORT YOUR MOM WILL MAKE A GREAT RECOVERY
LYNN

------------------

linda

linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2001, 06:33 PM   #3

John Farrell HB User
Cool

Ann,

On the left side of the brain there are 2 speech centers your mother has anomic aphasia. the most important thing you can do is maintain the range of motion in her left arm, at the shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand.

Old 08-24-2001, 01:49 PM   #4

slrodgers HB User
Question

Just wondering how your mother is progressing. My mother had a stroke in early August and she also is very confused. She has no problems speaking and physically she is fine. But she is aphasic and very confused about where she is, etc. She also has quite a bit of memory loss.

Old 10-12-2001, 03:29 AM   #5

suse104 HB User
Arrow

You seem so frustrated! I had a stroke in 96'which did a whole bunch of damage. (I was only 36)
One of my main problems was/is word retrieval. I have so much difficulty with that AND memory loss - at times I can't stand it.
It's been my own experience, that these problems have gotten worse over time and not better - but that's me. It's important to know that everyone is different! What's true for one doesn't necessarily mean it's true for all.
Whatever happens please know you're welcome here anytime!!
((((((hugs))))))
Susan

Closed Thread