It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2003, 07:40 PM   #1

EO HB User
Question Stroke - Medical Negligence ???

Hi,

I would like to find out if you think this case is Medical Negligence.
My friend called me on 16th May and said he was not feeling well. He presented with symptoms of:
sudden dizziness, bad headache, partial vision loss in left eye. I immediately took him to the Casualty section of Hospital, and told them I thought his symptoms were of a mild stroke. They checked him over and said his Heart rate was very low " Atrial Fibrilation" and promptly put him in ICU.
He had been on heart medication for about 4 years, due to a heart attack.
2 days later in ICU, my friend suffered a major massive stroke, leaving him paralized down the left side. I spoke to him after the stroke and he appeared co-herent and fully aware of his surroundings and able to talk with a slight slur. He was put on a ventilator 2 day's later due to breathing problems. He was on the Ventilator for 2 1/2 weeks and came off 2 day's ago. He now cannot talk, only mumble, and he seems far worse affected than the period after the stroke and before intubation.
when I admitted him in ER, I told them I suspected a mild stroke, and again told ICU, when they asked me for a history of what happened that night.
My question is:
Why did the Cardiologist not give meds to thin the blood out, or could he have somehow stopped the stroke. Is this a case of Medical negligence........my friend will never be able to work again...has run up huge medical bills and will need taking care of, for the rest of his life......COULD THIS STROKE HAVE BEEN PREVENTED........THEY WERE WARNED WHEN I BROUGHT HIM IN.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2003, 07:59 PM   #2

Sad-Son HB User
Hi,

my dad had the same symptoms, he was improving after (about 1 1/2 hrs) upon admittance to the ER. but as soon as the doctor was talking to him (she looked like she was about 19 yrs old) he started having a 2nd stroke and she walked away from him until I yelled and got her back in the room. when she returned all she really did was say " Sam are you having another episode" and I was holding him and was like F#&K yea he is having another. It was painfully obvious! i was wondering if this could have been prevented too.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:06 PM   #3

crabbycdn HB User
YIKES! I would contact a lawyer -- both of you! Physicians are not gods and every once in a while they needed to reminded that their incompetence is killing people and destroying lives.

Old 06-14-2003, 04:59 PM   #4
Inactive

curse HB User
I agree w/ crabbycdn. Get a copy of all the paperwork of that incident from the hospital.
My Dad had a hemmorhage bleed last year because of his coumadin level. We found this out later when we took him to his DR. His DR. said he had the flu, gave him a drug & sent him home. The DR. was called the next day because Dad felt worse & wasn't making common sense. His DR. called him in a pain killer & that was all.
The following day Dad couldn't walk. He was in severe pain & we rushed him to the hospital. They did a CT scan & saw the hemmorhage. He was flown outta that hospital & into another where he underwent 2 surgeries. He will never return to his previous mental state.
Come to find out, his DR. didn't bother to consider that Dad is on coumadin, before calling in that pain killer. Looking in the PDR we found that it states that if you take coumadin which thins the blood, that drug is not for you. Had he even considered Dad's bad heart maybe he would have gotten an EEG done. He would have seen that Dad had a hemmorhage prior & he didn't have the flu. Instead, because he was "too busy" to properly care for his patient this happened.
Dad's attorney has been on the case since last year. We want that DR. to lose his license. Dad is worth more than that.

Old 06-16-2003, 10:32 AM   #5

VeryOldLady HB User
This is similar to what I'm asking in my thread "TIA symptoms?" Trying to place blame at this point is not my intent. I just want my sister to get help NOW if she needs it...before she ends up with a full-blown stroke. The docs should have done an MRI or CT scan to rule out ministroke, but they only checked her heart.

I'm hoping someone can give me some kind of answers in that thread.

If y'all try to sue your doctors, prepare yourselves for a LOT of denial from the hospital staff. They can easily say the symptoms weren't there, the patient denied taking a certain medicine, etc. Doctors are human, which means they will lie to cover their reputation. If you don't have solid proof, it's your word against theirs and no lawyer will take a case without solid proof.

Old 06-23-2003, 03:06 AM   #6

lilcrocodile HB User
For a long time my dad was complaining about "a metal band squeezing his head" amoung other symptoms. Only last week did they do an EKG and said nothing was wrong. That is untrue as my dad has St vancin dance ? Scarlet fever and Rhumatic fever all at the same time as a child. It affected him tremendously and caused his heart to 'squirt' rather than pump blood. But they said blithly he was fine. Two days ago he had a stroke. He is a trucker and was found wandering and stumbling around. Thank goodness he was in Pheonix AZ at the time as their neuro team is very good. I am so angry at the hospital. I almost never made it out of there alive 5 years ago. I wish to sue but as the one post said....they will deny deny deny.

Closed Thread