It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2003, 07:21 AM   #1

brettb22 HB User
Question TIA in young people ?

Hi-

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to mine and can offer some thoughts/share experiences.

Last Thursday (1 week ago) while I was walking down the street after dinner I began to notice vision problems (felt kind of light headed) and began to lose feeling on my right side (both arm and leg). Luckily, I happened to be near a hospital and was able to make it there before I hit the ground (literally). Within less then 10 minutes from onset of symptoms I had no felling/muscle control on my right side. I could not speak coherently but I was aware of what was going on. I could respond to questions by nodding my head or using my left arm, but I could not speak a coherent sentence or get out more then a word or two at a barely audible level.

Within 90 minutes from the onset of symptoms I felt fine. All feeling/control came back and i was able to recall pretty much everything that happnened to me. While I was in the ER, the doctors gave me nothing other then an IV of saline (they were still running tests trying to figure out what happenend when I regained feeling).

I had a CT scan, MRI, MRA, the usual battery of blood tests and ultrasounds of my heart and carotid (sp?) arteries/veins. All the tests came back negative.

I met with a neurologist before they released me form the hospital and he did a few tests that were negative.

I'm 28 years old and in good health. The attending physician called my case a bit of an enigma since its not normal for a healthy 28 year old male to present these kind of stroke-like symptoms and then self-correct in less then 90 minutes.

I continue to feel 100% fine after the event. I am scheduled to see another neurologist tomorrow (friday). I've been getting suggestions that I should see a cardiologist as well.

Has anyone had similar experiences at a relatively young age?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2003, 11:38 AM   #2

mariax3 HB User
hi! i am 26 and in good health also. my symptoms are a little different from yours, but the out come is pretty much the same. i had headache, vision and speech problems, and the numbness on one side. i went to my dr. and was told i was fine, too young for a tia, but ordered and mri anyway. then a few days later had another episode, went straight to er, did cat scan, found nothing. mri just found sinus problem. so i went to neuroligist, who diagnosed me with tia. had 21 tubes of blood taken, mra and just finished having a TEE. so no you are not too young for this to happen. i wish that dr. would consider the sypmtoms instead of age!! hope it all works out fine. please let me know!

Old 10-01-2003, 03:30 AM   #3

noelwr HB User
Hi, my brother had a TIA in May (he was 29, now 30) and then a few weeks later a stroke. Because he did not have an MRI on time, he did not receive the blood thinners that could have prevented the stroke. He was left temporarily paralyzed on the right side of his body and has expressive aphasia (inability to express himself through writing or speech). He now is able to walk without a cane, but there isn't much movement in his arm and the only word he can say is "Wednesday." He will most likely never be able to return to a "normal" job and will have difficulty functioning in society.

Doctors are still baffled to this day as he is so young and they still cannot say where the blood clot came from. Please take your warning signs seriously and take all necessary actions to prevent this happening to you.

By the way, my brother also "self-corrected" from his TIA. That doesn't necessarily mean you get better. Considering it a warning sign.

[This message has been edited by noelwr (edited 10-01-2003).]

Old 10-01-2003, 07:39 AM   #4

brettb22 HB User
noelwr-

What tests did your brother have after his TIA and did they show anything?

So far I have had a CT, MRI, 2 MRAs (head and neck), a TEE, Echocardiogram, ultrasound of my carotid arteries/veinsm and an ultrasound of my leg arteries/veins. I've had a number of blood tests as well (I don't know those names).

So far *everything* has turned up negative. . .

Thanks

Brett

Old 10-01-2003, 08:31 AM   #5

noelwr HB User
I am not sure. He was in the hospital for one month (he's now been living in a rehabilitation for 4 months) so they did a bunch of tests. They must have done an MRI to see that it was a blood clot. I was there when they made an echogram of his heart. I only heard that they did all these tests and were not able to locate the origin of the blood clot (so that they can prevent another).

By the way, these tests were not after his TIA but after his stroke. After his TIA, his doctor made an appointment for an MRI six weeks later (cuz he's young so it can't be that serious, right? - WRONG). One week before the appointment, he had the stroke. We're still very angry with the doctor.

At least you had your MRI. Very strange that it didn't show anything. Maybe you had a blood clot but it managed to squeeze its way through? Sorry, don't know much about these things.

Old 10-10-2003, 11:46 AM   #6

mariax3 HB User
Hi,
I was just wondering if your doctor checked you for Protien S or Protien C deficency? I replied to you earlier, with almost the same symptoms. I just seen my nuerologist, and my mri, mra,& tee test all came out well. They did not find any clots, but did test positive for protien s, which makes your blood clot abnormally.I was put on migraine preventative, and also a blood thinner, hoping this info might help in some way. Maybe blood disorder could be cause.

[This message has been edited by mariax3 (edited 10-10-2003).]

Old 10-10-2003, 02:27 PM   #7

brettb22 HB User
They did a number of blood tests on me, including both the Protein S and C. Protein S was 100 (acceptable range = 69-185) and Protein C was 86 (acceptable range = 65-121). They have prescribed an asprin a day for the rest of my life to thin things aout a little bit, but have not yet determined that I need to go on anything stronger (kumadin (sp), etc)

Brett

Old 10-19-2003, 11:46 AM   #8

goth_jen HB User
I am a 27 year old woman who has had almost the same thing. I posted my own topic I guess I should read first. What happend to me was that my legs and left arm went numb. I couldn't speak right and got extremly tired. They did blood test and cat scan and found nothing but that didn't surprise me it was almost 5 hours after it happend that they did anything. For a few days after I was very shaky and confused. With all the research I have done it seems that nobody seems to be able to detect a stroke even in older people with obvious signs. What I don't know is what to do now. I plan on seeing my doctor and I hope she can help me.

Old 10-19-2003, 01:00 PM   #9

brettb22 HB User
First thing I would suggest is to start taking an aspirin a day ASAP. It can't hurt to thin your blood out a little bit just in case.

Aside from seeing your regular doctor you should see a nurologist. The 5 hour later thing shouldn't make a difference. Most of my tests were run days if not a week or two later.

Some tests to consider/make sure they run . . .
*MRA of your head and neck
*Echocardiogram and/or a TEE (the TEE checks for a PFO)
*Ultrasounds of the veins/arteries in your legs (looking for clots)

Something like 20% of TIA's are such that they never find the cause. Mine is probably going to be part of that statistic. Its frustrating but the important part is that you have recovered full functionality. Do you notice any loss of functionality after the fact?

Old 10-22-2003, 01:15 PM   #10

nomadjess HB User
Talking

Hi all,
This week my husband (32) had a similar thing happen to him. He has never had a headache. Two days ago he came home with a raging headache and naseau and visual disturbances. Except for the lack of headache history sounds like a migraine. However the pain pattern didn't fit a migraine and his speech was slurred and he could not find words to describe common objects for a little over 2hrs. Doctors said still probably a migraine, unlikely it was TIA. Cat scan and spinal tap were negative. He is seeing neurologist in two days, hopefully will get an MRI. Taking an aspirin a day no for precaution. Anyone else have this strange mix between what seemed to be migraine and TIA?

Old 10-22-2003, 02:17 PM   #11

brettb22 HB User
I've never had a migrane but from what i have read on-line, on this board and on a similar board operated by Mass General, your husband's event sounds more migrane then TIA. The visual issue is what leads me to play armchair Qb in that direction. I had a minor visual issue at the start (it was the first thing I noticed) but it was brief. The big symptom for me was the right side parlysis.

An MRI is a good idea to have ASAP. An MRA (Magnetic Resonance Angiogram) is another one to look into. Its like an MRI but its focus is on the arteries/veins within the body. I had MRAs of my head (brain) and neck (carotid/jugular).

Out of curiousity, what did the spinal tap show/what were they looking for in ordering it? Its one test taht they have *not* yet run on me.

Good Luck,

Brett

Old 10-22-2003, 03:46 PM   #12

nomadjess HB User
Hi Brett,
The part that concerned me with him is the speech disturbance. He could not make sense or remember the words for common things. I also thought it was unlikely to get your first migraine at this age. We'll see what the doc says on Fri. The spinal tap was to check for signs of bleeding and infection in the brain and I think for menengitis also. Supposedly they have some common symptoms also. Thanks for your input.
-Jess

Old 10-22-2003, 03:49 PM   #13

nomadjess HB User
Hi Brett,
The part that concerned me with him is the speech disturbance. He could not make sense or remember the words for common things. I also thought it was unlikely to get your first migraine at this age. We'll see what the doc says on Fri. The spinal tap was to check for signs of bleeding and infection in the brain and I think for menengitis also. Supposedly they have some common symptoms also. Thanks for your input.
-Jess

Old 10-23-2003, 07:38 AM   #14

brettb22 HB User
Jess-

About the speech disturbance, did your husband have clear thoughts but couldn't commuicate them? I have a pretty clear recollection of everything that went on but when I tried to speak nothing came out except a barely audible gasp.

Brett

Old 10-23-2003, 06:06 PM   #15

nomadjess HB User
He did have clear thoughts but when he spoke he stuttered, the words came out backwards, and he couldn't say the names of objects he was looking at. I had convinced myself not to worry that it was a migraine, but the more I think about the speech thing, the more worried I am becoming. Plus Mike is never worried about anything medical as we are both in the field, but he is very upset about this. We see the neurologist tomorrow. Have you had anymore episodes? Did anything ever show up on any tests?

Closed Thread