HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sudden-infant-death-syndrome-sids/)
-   -   baby pulls blanket over head during sleep (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sudden-infant-death-syndrome-sids/186990-baby-pulls-blanket-over-head-during-sleep.html)

besafe20 07-01-2004 05:16 PM

baby pulls blanket over head during sleep

Hi I have a 4 month old that really loves blankets. The weird thing is that he pulls it over is head when he goes down for a nap or bedtime. It is funny because if he is fussing you put the blanket to his face and he immediately calms down. The first couple times I walked in to check on him and discovered he was completely under the blanket I freaked out and checked on him and he was fine. Since he likes it so much to go to sleep I will put the blanket over his face and as soon as his eyes close and he is falling asleep I remove it. I never let him sleep like that though. Is this a risk for sids? I get very worried when he does this during the night and when I am not around to pull the blanket off his face.

tinkers 07-02-2004 12:22 AM

Re: baby pulls blanket over head during sleep

That would scare me a lot! I put my baby to bed in pj's and keep the room warm with no blanket. I am scared of sids.

excaliburgrl 07-28-2004 11:55 AM

that would scare me too...i lost my daughter in 2000

sallyko 07-31-2004 08:11 AM

I never put blanket on my baby, i would just put one warm pijamas on her and keep the temperature warm. In the winter i'd put on her warm clothes on her before putting to sleep. no blankets, no pillows, no toys next to her especially with the long string

something_witty 08-21-2004 03:49 PM

Your little one sleeping with the blankets over his head could cause him to have too much carbon dioxide and not enough oxygen (remember when you were little and tried to hide under the covers for a long time? That air can get stale pretty fast.). While many babies can hide under those covers really well, they aren't very good at getting them back off.

italys_finest18 08-29-2004 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=besafe20]Hi I have a 4 month old that really loves blankets. The weird thing is that he pulls it over is head when he goes down for a nap or bedtime. It is funny because if he is fussing you put the blanket to his face and he immediately calms down. The first couple times I walked in to check on him and discovered he was completely under the blanket I freaked out and checked on him and he was fine. Since he likes it so much to go to sleep I will put the blanket over his face and as soon as his eyes close and he is falling asleep I remove it. I never let him sleep like that though. Is this a risk for sids? I get very worried when he does this during the night and when I am not around to pull the blanket off his face.[/QUOTE]

Dear Besafe,
I have a 11 month old daughter named Angeleek. The funny thing is I understand you soooo much. My daughter does the SAME THING!!! And she has been doing since I can remember. I remember the first couple times she had it pulled over her head when she was sleeping and I walked it to check on her I FREAKED out to. But I am much more calm about it now. I never let her use a thick blanket though. And I actually told the doctor about it and she said it was fine. Also to put her asleep I put a recieving blanket over her head either if she is in the swing or in our arms. The main thing I do is when ever I check on her I also try to put the blanket like half over her face or make a air pocket on the side in case of anything. But also My daughter's crib is still in my room so I can check her many times during the night. :)

sammieP 10-11-2004 01:41 PM

You can get those baby sleeping bags, they are as warm as them having a blanket over them and a lot safer, see if you can get him one of these, they sell them in most baby shops (i know toys r us do them), maybe that will help, it may take a while for him to get used to it but its a safer option.

besafe20 10-26-2004 05:29 PM

thanks for the replies. Dylan is now 8 months old. I just keep the heat turned up at night because he kicks his blankets off every night. He is a hyper little thing and hates being confined. There have been times where the blanket is off his body and on his face only. Or he grabs the blanket and sticks his face in it and goes to sleep. I just check on him before bed and make sure it isn't like that. He is pretty good now as long as I check on him before I go to bed.

sarah542 11-12-2004 07:56 AM

i use the sleeping bags for children they are relly good

valleygurl 01-13-2005 08:26 AM

Hi All, I was reading all these posts and i felt that i really needed to share my story with you all. My sister in law (and my best friend in the world) had given birth to two beautiful children. She had her daughter first and never had any problems concerning anything at all. 2 1/2 years later she gave birth to her beautiful son, he weighed in at 8+ pounds. When he was about 3/12 months old she noticed that he was really liking his blanket, just like some of you described. Anyway, one morning she had woke up and she had just went about her morning housecleaning chores, she had started washing dishes when she realized what time it was and thought that it was strange that her baby (4 months old at that time) hadnt woke up yet. He always woke up about the same time every morning. So she went to his room and when she looked into his crib all she could see was his tiny little feet and they were blue! He had rolled hisself up tight in his blanket! She reached down and frantically started unrolling the blanket from around him to find that his whole body was bluish gray. She picked him up and laid him on the changing table and was trying to stimulate him...nothing....then she picked him up and put him over her shoulder and started patting him vigorously on the back and that is when he started to try and gasp for air. Needless to say, he did survive thank God. It scares me to death to think what may have happened if she had waited even 1 more minute to go in and check on him. The doctors stressed to her how very lucky he was, as he had severe bruising and petichia (sp?) all around his head as well as he had a large amount of blood pooling in both of his eyes on exam. I am in the medical profession and i had expressed to her how because of this incident he may very well end up with some mental or physical delays. That she may not see it at the time but they very well may show up when he becomes school age.
Now her daughter is 7 and the little baby boy is 4, I am now raising these children as my sweet sister in law unexpectedly passed away a few short months ago. I was right, the 4 year old has a severe speech delay. He didnt even say a word until he was almost 3 years old. He has had speech therapy for over a year and i see much improvement, however, people who arent around him dont understand what he is saying at all. He has some behavior issues as well as we have problems with occasional pants wetting and he wets to bed every night. Despite these problems and delays, i have had him tested and this childs intelligence level is VERY HIGH!!! He also has incredible artistic abilities too! I am so proud of him, and i know that his momma would be too!
ValleyGurl

kierrasmommy 01-13-2005 09:25 AM

Valleygurl, Sorry for the loss of your sister-in-law, you are an amazing perosn to be able to carry on for her with her precious children. That is so wonderful that she was able to find her son in time.
I was always scared about sids as well, and would check on my daughter a few times during the night, she was always pretty good at not blocking her face. There have been some really good suggestions on here. Take care.

valleygurl 01-13-2005 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=kierrasmommy]Valleygurl, Sorry for the loss of your sister-in-law, you are an amazing perosn to be able to carry on for her with her precious children. That is so wonderful that she was able to find her son in time.
I was always scared about sids as well, and would check on my daughter a few times during the night, she was always pretty good at not blocking her face. There have been some really good suggestions on here. Take care.[/QUOTE]

Kierrasmommy, Thank you so much for your sympathy. I miss her so much, her little boy has her eyes. Everyday i swear i see her looking at me through him. There is also another sad part to the story that i left out. She did get pregnant and have another little baby boy. She so worried about the same thing happening to him. She went out and bought those one piece blanket sleeper sacks for him. She didnt live long enough to even see her baby roll over as she died one week after him turning 3 months old. That baby has a different father then the two children that i have so he is being raised by his father (unfortunately) seperated from his brother and sister. It is a shame, as her death is still being investigated due to the possibility that the baby's father may have killed her. It is absolutely horrible, and so hard to deal with. I am sorry for rambling on and laying this all on you, as i was originally posting to you just to thank you so much for caring. Wendy

hry33 01-15-2005 08:15 AM

a garment that has a sleeping bag on the bottom is helpful, try a bonnet or beanie on the head, baby may have a cold head and be trying to keep it warm with the blanket. make sure straps cant choke
the blanket on face may be a sign of insecurity

rouge 01-23-2005 04:18 PM

I use a Halo brand sleepsack. It's a wearable blanket that will not come over their head. They have a website I think it's Halosleepsack or something like that.

mickeypluto123 01-31-2005 07:51 PM

My 9month old nephew does that and it scares me, so whenever I babysit after he is asleep I pull it off his face, and it is alwys there in mornign again.