It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
(female)

smartmomma HB User
SIDS is Preventable, read this book

When my son was born he would not sleep on his back, so of course I stressed about SIDS. That was almost 4 years ago and I have learned SO MUCH about SIDS and what doctors don't know. A book I am reading right now should be given to every pregnant woman. It is called The Infant Survival Guide: Protecting Your Baby From the Dangers of Crib Death, Vaccines, and Other Environmental Hazards, by Lendon H. Smith, M.D., and Joseph Hatersley, M.A. I purchased mine at an on-line bookstore used. Your library might have it. It talks a lot about what you can do while you're pregnant to help your baby survive MANY things, including SIDS. {REMOVED} There are so many fallacies about SIDS and many I've read right here on this board! For those that think SIDS is rare, please remember that it is the #1 killer of babies aged 1mo.-1yr. and approximately 3,000 babies die in the US alone each year. That's only rare when it wasn't your baby. And it IS completely preventable if you can get your hands on the necessary information. God bless you all and your little ones!

Last edited by moderator2; 03-31-2005 at 04:35 PM. Reason: we do not allow websites that sell products - please read and follow the posting rules

Old 03-31-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

CarrieAnnsMom HB User
Angry Re: SIDS is Preventable, read this book

No offense but just because a book says that SIDS is preventable does not make it so. I lost a daughter to SIDS 15 years ago, I have read many many research papers and opinions on SIDS and the cause of SIDS. To date although we know that there are risk factors that seem to put some babies at greater risk than others and new parents should be informed of these to flat out say that it is preventable is a dis-service to new parents and an insult to parents who children have surcumb to SIDS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User
Re: SIDS is Preventable, read this book

CarrieAnnsMom, I am deeply sorry for you loss and I'm sure that even though you've been able to come to terms with your daughters death you've never forgotten. My prayers and thoughts are with all the mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins that have lost a loved one to SIDS. I am due next month with our first child, a boy and i'd have to say that more than anything that is out there in the world, SIDS has me on edge. I don't know if i'll want to sleep knowing such a thing could take my son. I've heard laying them on their stomach is never a good idea, but I also hear conflicting stories about laying them on their backs...(if they happen to spit up? chocking factor)...my mother told me that she layed my brothers and me on our side. From your experience is there anything I should know? Anything I should or shouldn't do? What are the greater risks if you don't mind sharing? I took some offense to the above post from the original poster, but I won't cross into that. Once again I am so sorry for your loss and may you be together again...

Old 04-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

The only hard-and-fast known fact about SIDS is that it not preventable, not discriminatory, not understood at all, and not anybody's fault.

I'm sure if a book found a major breakthrough, the medical community would have clamoured to have it highly publicised, since the devastating impact SIDS can have on a family is far-reaching and archetypal.

The only thing we seem to have found is that laying babies on their backs to go to sleep seems to reduce the risk, and the risk seems to decrease with age, but these are not hard and fast rules, as babies who were put to sleep only on their backs have died of SIDS, and older babies have died of SIDS too.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:14 PM   #5
(female)

smartmomma HB User

CarrieAnnsMom, I am sorry for your loss. But how can you be insulted by the discovery of the cause of SIDS? That is like saying you can only have peace if they never find out what causes it, and babies continue to die. Just because they do know what causes SIDS doesn't mean it was your fault, or any parents' faults.

There are lots of scientists out there who are looking for all kinds of reasons for the cause of SIDS, and guess what? If they "found" the cause, they would be out of a job, wouldn't they? There are so many things that cannot be answered in the places they are looking. They are looking for medical causes, but did you know that a second child in a family has an increased risk for SIDS, a third child has even a greater risk, a fourth even greater...and so on? This is explained by the toxic gas theory.

If you want to know why this is not exploding in the medical community, read another book which explains the theory as well as explains what you can do about preventing crib death: The Cot Death Cover-up? by TJ Sprott. There are foundations and organizations who are happy to take your money out there to find the cure for SIDS. The scientist who wrote this book, invented the BabeSafe mattress cover, and promotes his well-proven theory without taking in one cent for all he does is continually silenced by these organizations because they would be out of work if people knew the truth. If you want statistics...approximately 200,000 babies have slept on wrapped mattresses and followed the proper bedding protocol and NOT ONE baby has died of SIDS. Statistically, 100-200 babies should have died.

Dr. Sprott's explanation for crib death answers every question, including why babies who sleep on their backs are less prone to SIDS. All those other people don't know why, do they? They just know that most (not all) babies who died of SIDS were found on their stomach.

If you are having a baby, do your research. Read these books. Research on-line. I thought I "knew it all" just a few years ago, too, but I certainly didn't. Do not trust mainstream medicine any more than you trust the media. It is your body, your baby, your life and your health. There are lots of doctors out there who support Dr. Sprott's theory and discuss it heavily on the internet. I am not a doctor. Just a mother who has done lots of reading and asked lots of questions.

In closing, a quick story. I told a friend of mine what I know about preventing SIDS. She didn't know what to believe. A few weeks later her friend's baby died of SIDS. You are required to notify the state when a baby dies, and when her friend called and told them the baby died of SIDS, they told her to throw away the crib mattress. Now why in the world would they do that? Could something be wrong with the crib mattress?

Old 04-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

It sounds like a lot of easy answers written by people who want to profiteer off the deaths of thousands of children and the grief it causes every year.

I believe with my hearts that every neonatologist and paediatrician I have had the priviledge of learning from are there for the babies, first and foremost, and if not for the babies, there is a prestige end of it that would be enormous if they were to discover and prove through the use of blinded scientific study a decrease in the risk of SIDS.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:02 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

CarrieAnnsMom HB User
Exclamation Re: SIDS is Preventable, read this book

Hello All,
I will try to address a few things in the last few post, the most important being that IF there had been a CURE for SIDS I would be the first to be grateful that no one ever live what I had to. As stated in an early post, if SIDS had truley been CURED the news media and the medical community would have shouted it from the roof tops. What we do know about SIDS is that some babies seem to be at a greater risk if they sleep on there stomach, at this time there are many theory's as to why this has made an impact on the loss of life to SIDS. Australia started promoting laying there babies on their backs 10 years before that United States did and saw the SIDS deaths reduced by more than 50%. Why.. they don't know but if it has helped, then doing it makes sense. Laying a healthy infant on their back while sleeping is not dangerous, if they do happen to aspirate, normal healthy infants will turn their head and also have gag reflexes. Of course it is also important for a baby to have stomach time when they are a wake and alert. All of the above statements have been promoted by the American Medical Association. The other important factor that has impacted the death rate for SIDS is co-sleeping and/or improper sleeping spaces. SIDS use to be used as a "waste paper basket" diagnosis for infant deaths in general, if a baby was found co-sleeping with an adult or older sibbling or found stuck between a headboard and matteress, especially waterbeds, even if it was very likely the baby had been laid on or had sufficated the death certificate still read SIDS. After years of lobbying the SIDS community has passed laws in almost every state requiring an autopsy and requiring first responders to identify the difference between SIDS, overlaying and abuse. In the state I live in, Indiana, we also got a law passed that requires all police and EMT's to have a least 4 hours of SIDS training in their continuing education cerficates.

Well I hope I have addressed a few of the questions posed on the above posts.

To new parents, it is so important to reseach this topic. Talk with your doctor and your babies pediatrition, go the AMA's website. And most importantly enjoy your new baby... worrying will not help, the odds of lossing a baby to SIDS are decreasing each year.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User

Thank you CarrieAnn....again I am sorry for you loss.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

CarrieAnnsMom HB User

You wrote.... "CarrieAnnsMom, I am sorry for your loss. But how can you be insulted by the discovery of the cause of SIDS? That is like saying you can only have peace if they never find out what causes it, and babies continue to die. Just because they do know what causes SIDS doesn't mean it was your fault, or any parents' faults."

Please make sure you read my new post. I don't know where you got that I was insulted or blamed myself for my daughters death but, I am fustrated that there are still so many untrue statements about SIDS.

You wrote "There are lots of scientists out there who are looking for all kinds of reasons for the cause of SIDS, and guess what? If they "found" the cause, they would be out of a job, wouldn't they?

Do you realize many of these researchers use there own money and what little money they get in grants and in donations barely covers cost. I just think saying that these researchers who are trying to find a cause and cure for SIDS or any affliction for that matter deserve a little more respect and indicating that they will never find cures because they would lose their jobs is pretty insulting to their profession.

You wrote "approximately 200,000 babies have slept on wrapped mattresses and followed the proper bedding protocol and NOT ONE baby has died of SIDS. Statistically, 100-200 babies should have died."

This a very untrue statement. The stat's you are quoting from this book have been proven to be false they originated from another book called "The mysterious cause of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Unveiled" written by Bill Sardi. I personally spoke with Mr. Sardi and got him to admit that the stat's on this were taken from Australia not the United States. I went to the website for infant deaths in Austrailia and sure enough there has never been a year that there were not SOME SIDS deaths and of those deaths babies were sleeping on the doctors famous mattress cover.

You wrote "In closing, a quick story. I told a friend of mine what I know about preventing SIDS. She didn't know what to believe. A few weeks later her friend's baby died of SIDS. You are required to notify the state when a baby dies, and when her friend called and told them the baby died of SIDS, they told her to throw away the crib mattress. Now why in the world would they do that? Could something be wrong with the crib mattress?

My doctor told my husband to clean our daughters room out on the day she died so it would be "easier" for me. NOT... my point just because someone told them to throw the crib mattress away does not make it right or mean they know what the hell they are talking about. My doctor thought this would be helpful but it was just the oppisite I was devestated that all her things were gone.

You wrote: "They are looking for medical causes, but did you know that a second child in a family has an increased risk for SIDS, a third child has even a greater risk, a fourth even greater...and so on? This is explained by the toxic gas theory. "

This theory has been dismissed by almost all reputible researchers. The statisics just dont point to it first and foremost SIDS happens more often to a first born child than any other sibling.

I hope you don't take offense to this post but as you can tell this is close to home for me.

I am getting ready to become a Grandmother. This is just one more reason that I PRAY they find a cure for SIDS but in order to find a cure they have to find a cause and to date by the AMA's standards and the APA standards they do not yet know what causes SIDS.

"in the belief that every child should live"

Carrie Ann's Mom

Closed Thread