It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User
Question about SIDS...

I'm sorry for being so uneducated about this. I'd rather get answers from you wonderful ladies than a "medical report" that is bound to scare the bajesus out of me. Okay, i've heard that you are not supposed to place a baby on his/her stomach while they are napping or sleeping am I correct? Is this due to the fact that there is concern that they may suffocate? However I've also heard that even when placing a baby on his/her back it reduces the chances of SIDS....so there's even a chance of them dying even if their on thier backs? Is the concern suffocation or is SIDS something entirely different that has not yet been discovered? I have an Angel monitor and yes it aids in calming my fear some what I still find myself waking in the middle of the night 10 or 20 different times just to check if my son (who is 5 weeks) is breathing. We also dress him in this swaddler...it look more like a night gown to be honest. His arms slip through like if it was a sweater, but it zips up from the bottom. We were told this would also prevent SIDS...dunno how true that is, but we're willing to try anything. Any information or knowledge you would care to share to me, would be VERY appreciated. Thank you so much and may God Bless you All.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 08:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

CarrieAnnsMom HB User
Arrow Re: Question about SIDS...

Dear Redsoxcubbies,

Your question is you being a good Mom not uneducated.
At this time most researchers and the American Medical Associations do recommend that normal healthy infants sleep on their back. Although they don't really know why (and you will find many theories) but, since parents have began doing this SIDS has reduced drasticlly. The "sack" you are talking about was actullay devised by a SIDS parent... one of the risk factors associated with SIDS is overheating (dressing the baby in to many layers or to many blankets) they have two different thicknesses one for spring/summer and the other for fall/winter. It is recommended that is the only clothing the baby should need when put to bed, including no stuffed animals, bumper pads, toys, ect. just the baby.

I am sure your not getting a lot of sleep right now and that is normal with any new Mom.. just remember SIDS is not "preventible" but their are risk factors and following the AMA adivce can reduce that risk, but no one can predict which babies will or will not sercum to SIDS.

Enjoy your son take a deep breath and just know that you are doing all the right things for your son and the rest is in Gods hands.

I am going to be a Grandmother is September, the baby is due on what would have been my daughter Carrie Ann's 16th birthday, so I definetly understand your fears. But I am gunna try and take my own advice and just enjoy him... its a boy!

I wish you and your son much joy and love I hope I have helped answer some of your questions and that I haven't rambled on to much but as you can tell this subject is very close to my heart.

"In the belief every child should live"
Carrie Ann's Mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User
Re: Question about SIDS...

Thank you so much for the information. I do however have one more inquiry. Sometimes during the day on a weekend or so my fiance and my son will be asleep together. I don't know if there is a risk because as was mentioned you should never put a baby to sleep on his/her stomach. The thing is, when he's watching t.v. (and my dad even did this with me when I was a baby) my son will fall asleep (stomach down) on my fiance's chest...is the risk of SIDS elevated there as well??Thank you so much for the information. I do however have one more inquiry. Sometimes during the day on a weekend or so my fiance and my son will be asleep together. I don't know if there is a risk because as was mentioned you should never put a baby to sleep on his/her stomach. The thing is, when he's watching t.v. (and my dad even did this with me when I was a baby) my son will fall asleep (stomach down) on my fiance's chest...is the risk of SIDS elevated there as well??

Last edited by redsoxcubbies; 06-10-2005 at 06:49 PM.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

CarrieAnnsMom HB User

You are welcome, we always tell parents better safe than sorry, if you are awake and notice the baby has fallen asleep with Dad it is best to put baby in his own bed for two reasons actually, the sleeping on the tummy is one the other is co-sleeping in general can be very dangerous. There have been many cases of infants sleeping with someone on a couch or bed who became wedged up against the couch or bed or person they are sleeping with and ultimately die of suffication. This is also why they suggest nothing in the crib with baby the less stuff the less likely there will be a problem. Hope you and baby are doing good! Take care, Carrie's mom

Old 06-14-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I just wanted to add here that though the fear of SIDS is very real and it if occurs is absolutely devastating, it is extremely rare. A tummy sleeping newborn has way less than a 1% chance of SIDS. Within the past year I have read two different articles which stated that many doctors are now even questioning the back to sleep as a risk reducer because when SIDS first began to be publicized autopsies were not required. Any baby who died during sleep was diagnosed with SIDS automatically. Some suffocated or had congenital disorders or illnesses. None of those is considered SIDS. Autopsies are now required so thus, the SIDS rates have dropped dramatically. A baby can die of SIDS on his tummy, on his side, on his back, in his swing or even in his parent's arms. The thing to keep in mind though is that it is extremely rare no matter how the baby sleeps. The chances that your baby will die in a car accident are greater than dying of SIDS.

Nancy

Old 06-15-2005, 03:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User

oh great.....just when the worry had kinda subsided a bit.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

shelliam HB User

First off thanks for posting this thread I came here with the same question but I'm just looking for a little clarification here if I am watching tv or something and my newborn falls asleep on my chest tummy down is it ok to keep her there? I can understand if I am sleeping too but if I am alert does it put her in danger?

Old 06-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User

That's the same thing I was wondering as well. My son LOVES to sleep on mine and his fathers chest. He can stay there for 4 hours almost 5 at the most. But it got me to wondering if he was at a higher risk for sids since he was laying on either mine or my fiances chest or on a firm crib mattress.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Sleeping on your chests tummy down will not put your babies in danger except as you said, if you fall asleep and I guess there always is that danger.
While you are awake though it can be a wonderful thing. The days that your babies are willing to lie still and sleep on your chests are very brief and you will miss them!

Please try to keep in mind that no matter how your baby sleeps, on his back, on his side, on his tummy, in his crib, in his swing, in your arms, on your tummy and the list goes on, SIDS is EXTREMELY RARE. There are many, many things like auto accidents, injuries from falls, many illnesses, etc. that are much more common than SIDS. Just try to enjoy your babies as much as you can. The chances are GREAT that they are going to survive well into old age!

Nancy

Old 07-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #10
(female)

huntertrace HB User

Hi im jenna i lost my 3month old to sids in feb, 04. I have been researching and in new zealand they have done research and found that matresses are made with flame resistant material which the chemicals in that are poisinous to babys. By using a simple matress cover has 100% prevented sids in new zealand. Just a thought

Closed Thread