It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
(female)

tabbithy HB User
Unhappy So worried

I have read through this forum and cried until my eyes were swollen.
I have a 7 month old daughter, I purchased an Angel Care Monitor when she was born, the alarm has gone off 4 times in the last couple of months and we run and pick her up and she is fine. When we mentioned this to her doctor she said next time don't pick her up, but observe her to see if she is actually not breathing, how is that possible, your in panic mode.. She was recently diagnosed with asthma and I am so worried. I lost a son at 10 months but not to SIDS.
Why is it said that you cannot resuscitate a SIDS infant? I don't understand that. If you catch them when they first stop breathing, why can you not help?
Am I just being paranoid? I worry constantly.. I will not let her sleep anywhere the monitor is not on...Any thoughts are welcome...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: So worried

No thoughts on that. I had a heart monitor on one of my twins and it went off often, usually from her moving. I hated that darn thing. So all I can offer is my prayers that your little one makes it. After all, she does have another little angel watching after her right?? ^i^

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
(female)

tabbithy HB User

yes she does. I can't help but worry, my children are my life, I have 4, 11 year old girl,
a 6 year old boy, a 4 year old boy and my baby girl 7 months old, I lost my son to a heart defect that surgery was suppose to correct when he was close to a year old. I cannot bear the thought of losing another one of my children. Just the thought puts me in tears.
But now knowing she has asthma makes me worry more. she is on 3 different meds and 2 different nebulizers..

Old 11-15-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I remember my daughter being on a ton of different meds. Ya know, they never said anything about asthma but for some reason today I was thinking she had it at four because she gets excited and coughs like crazy and has to slow down. I am calling the docs tomorrow to make sure. We had mold in our house too so who knows. My children are ,5,4,4. I know the sleepless nights. My niece died of spinal meningitis at seven months old and I can NEVER forget the hurt on my brothers face so I have always been protective. I woke up and checked their chests rising, there were times they were sound asleep and I shook them because I thought they stopped breathing, it freaked me out. My husband thought I was losing my marbles. I know the love you feel and I think it's normal after what you've been through. We will never stop worrying, if it's not SIDS, it's falling off their bikes, or someone kidnapping them, or them driving a car or going off to college.....it never ends....LOL
Your kids are nicely spaced. I feel like I have triplets. lol Just breath and try to relax because if the good lord wants to take a child or anyone home....he will. Lots of love.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

It is totally undertandable that you would be so worried after losing a precious son! I am so sorry.

Often an angel care monitor will go off because babies move out of range and my guess is that this is what is causing it. Once they start rolling over and moving around more it is really difficult to keep them in one place.

Nancy

Old 11-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #6
(female)

tabbithy HB User

Every time it has went off she would be in the same position, because I would check everything to see if maybe there was another reason behind it.
But my other question was why out of all the info I have read it is always said that once a baby quits breathing from SIDS you cannot start them back...I don't understand that...

Old 11-19-2005, 04:52 AM   #7
(female)

Boldonenohio HB User

You have every reason to be worried new mothers always are worried about if the baby is breathing i did too, with both of my children. I so sorry about the loss of your son. Do what makes you feel more comfortable, doctors say one thing but use your instints. The monitor is a good thing also i had the crib in the room with me till at least 1 year of age. Hope this helps, Brenda

Old 11-19-2005, 04:52 PM   #8
(female)

Karen62705 HB User

I am a total worry wort when my baby is sleeping. He's 5 months old and recently started rolling over on his tummy to sleep. I use the Angel Care Monitor as well as a video Monitor. Last month we were hit by a hurricane and lost power for 8 days. It was during this time he decides to start sleeping on his stomach. Since I had no monitors I put him in my room to sleep in his pack and play, While he slept great I was up all night long checking on him.

I have also gotten a few false alarms with the Angel Care Monitor. ALWAYS around 4am when I'm in a dead sleep. The first time it happened I ran like mad into his room, only to find him sleeping peacefully, Thank God! I ended up emailing the company to ask them how to avoid so many false alarms. They were really nice and wrote me back within a couple of hours. They wrote me a long letter telling me different things to try. He said if set up correctly the monitor WILL cover the ENTIRE mattress. He said some times you need to try different sensitivities. He gave me a bunch of things to make sure of for it to work properly. Perhaps you could write them, and get the same list I did.

Also, I have heard the same thing about not being able to revive a baby dying of sids, But I don't know why. I have researched it and can't find an answer to that.

Just like another poster said....we'll ALWAYS have something to worry about with them. I know my mom still worries about me, and her mom still worries about her. I guess it's part of being a mom.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #9
(female)

angellale66 HB User

That is quite normal to worry about your baby and the greatness of today's electronics (whatever!) Tell you the truth I have never used a baby monitor because I had a bassinet and my daughter was next to my bed, but again that was the convenience for me as a breastfeeding mother. If you get really concern you could let your baby sleep with you I know it is not the best suggestion but at least you would get a goodnight's rest and your baby would be safe with you at all times.

Closed Thread