It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

miss_kawasaki HB User
Lightbulb Sids Prevention

Hi Ladies
As a mother it makes me so sad to think there are still so many babies dying from SIDS and if your one of them, I am very sorry that you've lost your son/daughter this way.

I am TTC at the moment and it's being 11 years since I've had a newborn, so I find myself in some ways 'back to basics'. Alot has changed - for the better mostly - in concerns to baby care.

I thought we could start a thread so parent's-to-be can come and see what they can do to minimise/prevent SIDS.

please feel free to contribute to helping other mother's and father's, grandparent's prevent SIDS with our kids

Old 12-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: Sids Prevention

What I would like to share is that SIDS is extremely rare, even if you take none of the suggested precautions. I know it happens and when it does, it has to be totally devastating. I cannot even imagine the pain and my heart and prayers go out to all those who have had to experience the loss of a child, at any age, due to any cause. I just wanted to re-inforce though to all new parents out there that SIDS is not likely to happen to your baby no matter what you do or do not do. There are some common sense ways to minimize the risks such as not having any suffocation hazards in the crib, not smoking around a baby and not allowing the baby to sleep in places such as water beds or on very soft mattresses. However, babies have died of SIDS on their sides, on their backs, on their tummies, in their cribs, in their bassinets in their parents' beds, in their swings and even in a parent's arms. Nothing can prevent it and I think when we suggest that something can, we run the risk of making a parent who has lost a child to SIDS feel guilty about something he or she did or didn't do. The fact is, no one really knows what causes SIDS and no one really knows how to prevent it. So, do whatever you feel is best for your baby and your situation and try to relax and enjoy your baby. They grow so fast and chances are, your baby will NOT die of SIDS!

Nancy
Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
(female)

numbtoes HB User
Re: Sids Prevention

When I had my own newborn (a robust 9.3 pounds!!) I would stand at the nursery door and fear opening it-afraid that my baby would die of SIDS. I finally realized that this was an irrational, unhealthy fear that would drive my crazy. I just stopped all the fear and worry and started enjoying my daughter. SIDS is devastating to families but there is nothing to prevent SIDS. I have read that the policy of putting newborns on their backs has lowered the incidence of SiDS. My children slept on their tummies, with stuffed animals, soft pillows and warm temperatures--all now thought to be contributors to SIDS. Some scientists think that SIDS is due to a malfunction in the brainstem.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-29-2006 at 07:38 PM.

Closed Thread