It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
(female)

collegegal HB User
Question Do sleep positioners prevent SIDS?

Hi! I am expecting, due next month, and am trying to decide whether I should get a sleep positioner or not. They are supposed to keep the baby from rolling over while sleeping. However, the American Pediatrics Assc. has not tested them and does not reccomend them. SO, should I get one or not!! Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
(female)

troublesleeping HB User
Re: Do sleep positioners prevent SIDS?

If it has not been tested, then proceed cautiously. I used one with both my children, (they are 11 and 9 yrs. old now) and they worked nicely. However, the reading I did on the pillows did recommend that as soon as the baby begins to roll over you MUST remove the pillow as it could be more dangerous then beneficial because the baby could roll over and then not be able to roll back if the pillow is there. The intent of the pillow is with newborns, but as every new mother does, check your baby often during the night and while they are sleeping. I still check my children when they are sleeping! Put NOTHING at all in the crib with the baby, no pillow, blanket, toy, teddy bear- nothing, even remove crib bumpers once the baby is able to move around in the crib. Don't overdress babies at night to keep them warm, like putting them in double pajama's. Some mothers are afraid that the baby will be cold so they do this. Research has shown that you don't want the baby to be "too comfortable". If you are comfortable, then rule of thumb is the baby should be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I have heard the same thing about not over-dressing the baby. As a matter of fact, I have heard more than once in the past few years that they are now beginning to think that this is one of the most common if not the most common cause of SIDS. However, keep in mind, that no one truly knows what causes it. There is nothing that can really prevent it either. There are a lot of suggestions out there, but fact is a baby can die of SIDS on its back, on its side, on its tummy, in the carseat, in a swing or even in a parent's arms. It is very scary and I cannot even imagine the devastation of losing a child to SIDS (or due to any other cause). The good thing though is that SIDS is EXTREMELY RARE. The AAP makes that statement in its final paragraph on sleep position. Something that would not prevent it but might make you feel better is one of those monitors that fits under the crib mattress and will alert you if no motion is detected for 20 seconds or more. As for the positioners, I think most parents use them as side positioners. There is no reason for one if you want your baby on his or her back in those first few weeks unless you are doing side sleeping (which many parents do). Once the baby starts rolling they are not effective and can actually be a hazard. I wouldn't bother with one, but that is just my opinion. I don't know if this would make you feel better or not, but our daughter was born to a drug addicted, smoking birth mother. She was seven weeks pre-term and bio mom had no prenatal care. She slept on her tummy because we couldn't get her to sleep well on her back and even with all those risk factors when I mentioned that to the pediatrician she said that our daughter had a greater chance of being struck by lightning than dying of SIDS on her tummy, even with all those risks factors in place. I share that only to re-inforce the fact that SIDS is very, very rare.

Nancy

Old 01-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

Yep, my son is an absolute tummy sleeper from since he was 3 weeks old---he HATED sleeping on his back and screamed and wiggled his way to his tummy and/or side early on. We'd wake up and whoa he'd be on his tummy at 3 weeks old?!?!? Eeeek! We just made sure to not have anything else in his craddle/crib---but he was fine. We figured if he was strong enough to roll/wiggle over on to his tummy and side from his back, then he was OK. He's 6 1/2 months now. Doctor actually rote in his hospital discharge when we left the hospital after he was born to put him to sleep on his tummy, not on his back---she's old school though too.

As bioadopt mom said, the risk of dying from SIDS, is much less than we think---it's actually very rare. But don't get me wrong, it does happen.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:45 AM   #5
(female)

jgirl234 HB User

i bought a sleep positioner for my son and he keeps sliding down it so in my opinion don't waste your money. your newborn isn't going to roll over so no need to worry. as the others posted once your baby can roll over don't put anything besides him and a light blanket in the crib.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
(female)

MomToMom HB User

My son is a true tummy sleeper and I am actually more concered with what the sleep positioner and mattress are made of above all! This may come as a surprise to many of you, but many baby products on the market today (such as those made of vinyl and foam) contain harmful/toxic chemicals that could off-gas or leech out into your child's environment. When concerned about SIDS, I think this new information becomes very relevant! I agree with all of your posts that it's very important not to overdress your baby and to keep blankets, pillows, and any other suffocation hazards away. But I would also encourage you to look for a non-toxic crib mattress. We just bought our stuff from a company called Naturepedic and were very pleased with their customer service in terms of being able to answer our questions. also very informative in terms of what you should be concerned about with regard to this issue. Hope this is helpful!

Last edited by moderator2; 03-15-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
(female)

Happy4Me HB User

I used the sleep positioner for both of my children. My daughter is now 10 and my son is 18 months. I loved the idea that it kept them on their side during sleep. It always concerned me that they could spit up while laying on their backs and choke to death. I felt more comfortable with them being on their sides.

Also, most doctors say that you really don't have to worry about SIDS after 1 year of age but a friend of my family lost her son to SIDS when he was 3 years old. So scary!!!

Old 05-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Sleep positioners that are good and keep the child on their left side and elevated, can reduce obstructive sleep apnea events and other events which result in the child stopping breathing. My son had severe sleep apnea from birth onward.. we didn't discover this until he was four; but, we knew something was wrong and used sleep positioners, cosleeping in recliners, and sleeping in a swing to help minimize these events.

The pediatricians would blame his sleep habits on acid reflux, and colic.. it was in fact sleep apnea. A child can be diagnosed and treated for sleep apnea as early as six months. It is the most serious under diagnosed childrens disease out there. And every parent should look up and investigate the signs. 2 out of 100 children have sleep apnea. 5 out of 100 have one of 80 different sleep disorders.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
(female)

babymackenzie HB User

Some people are on here saying how rare SIDS is. According to American Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Institute, there are approximately 2500 per year in the US alone. That is not extremely rare. You should take every precaution possible for you baby.

Closed Thread