It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
(female)

baby_blue_mouse HB User
Unhappy Run In Famlies?

It started with my cousin Thomas when he was 11 months old. Then my brother when he was 2 months old. My sister got preg. and everything seemed to be going good. She had a boy named Dylan. When he was 3 months old he also died of SIDS. At this time I had 2 son's, Dustin and Dalton I had them sleeping in car seats until they was 6 months old. I was scared to death 24-7. In 1999 I became preg. with my baby girl Devan. I told the Doctor about all the babies that have died in my family due to SIDS. He said that it dont run in families and that its usually the 1st boy born. Well looking back on how they all was the 1st boy born I belived him. I had my 1st boy and he was already 3 years old.
She was born May 25 1999. Devan Jean was a heathy baby. I was breast feeding her b/c I heard that would also help prevent SIDS. Noone was allowed to smoke around her... I was very picky with all my kids. Then Aug. 6 1999 She was asleep in my arms and stopped breathing. We tried CPR, and the ER tried breathing tubes. Nothing would help bring her back!
But, my question is if it dont run in families then why so many times in mine??
Now, I realize it dont matter where they are, what you do, boy or girl, if its gonna happen there is NO stopping it NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Old 03-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
(female)

Buffalo Gal HB User
Re: Run In Famlies?

First of all, my deepest condolences. No family should have to go through what yours has.

Recent studies have led many researchers to believe that SIDS is caused by abnormalities in the brain stem, in the areas that control breathing and heart rate. Male babies seem to have more problems than females. It seems to be an inability of the brain stem to use Serotonin, a neurotransmitter that plays a key role in breathing and heart rate. A normal baby might get a signal from the brain stem to wake up and breathe, but one with Serotonin problems wouldn't get the signal. If this turns out to be true, it may not be SIDS that runs in families, but this abnormality in the brain stem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
(female)

annelizly HB User

something similar in my family......only i didn't know it until it way too late.

I was adopted as a baby and it was a closed adoption.

My first child , a daughter, died of sids when she was 14 months old.

a few years later I found my biological family and found that my half sister also lost a child to sids and so did a first cousin. .

I now believe that it DOES run in families.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

There is a link between SIDS incidents and sleep apnea in children/infants. Unfortunately, obstructive sleep apnea is genetically dominant and tends to be passed on. Also it is unfortunate that most pediatricians are not educated better in identifying OSA in children. Most only have a 15 minute seminar on sleep disorders.

It is estimated that 2 out of 100 children under the age of 8 have sleep apnea, but less than 1 out of 5000 recieves adequate treatment and diagnosis. If you have a sleep disorder have your children tested. Testing can be done and sleep apnea can be treated as early as six months.

I have sleep apnea, my husband has sleep apnea, and my son four years of age does as well. When he was an infant I had to sleep in shifts with my husband, because our son would stop breathing so often.. never once was sleep apnea suggested. We were diagnosed with sleep apnea when our son was three. By the age of four we had run the gauntlet and determined he had severe sleep apnea as well. Any future children of ours will be tested and evaluated at the age of six months for obstructive sleep apnea.

Respectfully,
MG

Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

HI blue mouse.
I lost my little baby girl, my second child. She would have been 16 now. My aunt also had a daughter who was lost to SIDS.

I'm sorry for your loss. There is nothing worse, this I know.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
(female)

heavensgift1217 HB User

Since losing my son to SIDS in December 2006 I have done countless hours of research on SIDS. WE hold fundraisers for SIDS and educate others on SIDS.
First of all I want to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. I know the pain all too well. My son was six months and 27 days old when he died of SIDS. The doctor that told you it usually happens to the first born son is extremly misinformed. My son was our fourth son.

SIDS is NOT genetic, it does not run in families. It is simply a gene in their brain that is deformed. The gene tells our bodies when there is too much carbon dioxide in our blood which in turn triggers us to breath, for some reason that gene sometimes fails and their body doesn't tell them to breath.

Although SIDS may seem like a very common accurance only 6% of the children in the US die of SIDS each year. Not that it makes it any easier for us whom have lost a child to SIDS.

They have also stated that parents that bring their child to bed with them are 20x more likely to die of SIDS. Well that is the percentage of SIDS related deaths not all babies. They have just found out that the ones who died of SIDS more often slept with their parents than not. In acutallity it is because the parents rolled over and caused the baby to stop breathing and it was ruled SIDS.

I hope this helps you in some way. Please take care and God Bless

Latrisha

Closed Thread