It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
(female)

babydreams123 HB User
question on sids

First I want to say Im so sorry to all who have lost a child to sids or to anything else. I lost my little girl Chantel 2 1/2 almost 3 years ago the cause was never found but when i delivered her she was dead. they did optoplsy and said they couldnt find any reason. I now have a 15 month old gilr named Caylee but am so scared I co-sleep with her still since day 1. does anyone know the age that is safe where I dont have to worry about sids? Ive heard people say once their a year old then you dont have to worry but after losing 1 child you cant help but worry.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
(female)

troublesleeping HB User
Re: question on sids

You don't say if you are married or not- but it has to be stressful on your marriage to co-sleep with your baby. I understand it is difficult to let go, but it will not be emotionally healthy for your 15 month old if you do not let go now. He will be clingy and unable to sleep alone. You are setting yourself up for a very hard time later on. The sooner you let go the better. You have to pray over your kids and trust them to God's hand. The worry NEVER stops. My children are 9 and 11 years old and I still check on them in the middle of the night and check to see that they are breathing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: question on sids

I agree, though I know what it is like to worry about your child. The PP is right. The worry never ends. Our 16 year old DS works until between midnight and 1 AM at a fast food restaurant on Fridays and Saturdays and I cannot bring myself to get into bed until he is home. We make him call before he leaves and if he is not home within the eight minutes in normally takes, I literally PANIC. There is always something to worry about. Keep in mind however, that SIDS is extremely rare. That statement was made by the AAP. The rates are less than 1 in 1000 for a tummy sleeping newborn. Those drastically low rates drop even further after the age of about four months. I know stats mean nothing if it is your child whom you lose, due to any cause, but worrying needlessly and excessively (and I am including myself in this lesson I need to learn as well) does nothing but rob you of the many joys of parenthood. Our seven year old adopted daughter was our foster child for the almost three years it took to finalize her adoption. She had been with us since birth. DH and I worried constantly that something would happen and someone might come to claim her. Looking back on it now all that worry and stress coming from the fear of losing our child really deprived us of enjoying her infancy and early toddlerhood. Enjoy your baby all you can now and try, hard as it is, not to worry too much. They grow up so fast.

Nancy

Closed Thread