It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
(female)

clockworkgirl21 HB User
Gender?

When my mom was 16, she gave birth to Michael, who ended up dying of SIDS. In her 20s, she married my father, and they had me. Next, my sister came along. Healthy, and still around. Next, she had Peter, who died of SIDS. Years after Peter's death, Livi was born, and she's still around. Marie was born in March 2006. My mother is pregnant again, and we learned it's going to be another boy. We're all over this news, of course. Is there any way it could have to do with gender? I do have a brother, but he's from another marriage. My mom is already scared to death, crying, saying her son will die. Any information?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2007, 03:28 AM   #2
(female)

Monkey7935 HB User
Re: Gender?

Gender does not have to do with SIDS. Your mother has a right to be scared, I would to as well. You know hon, my mother lost my sister from SIDS. I catch her crying too. Last year right before Christmas, I caught her crying. So I wrote her a poem of my sister and how she was a guardian angel watching over her and saying "i love you". It brought her tears of love, but she has a tendency to grab the poem that I framed for her and gave to her on Christmas when she's sad. I'll catch her once in awhile sleeping with the picture. It never really does leave a person hon. The best thing you can do is reassure her. Also, you could just casually (and I mean very casaully) point out that since it runs in the family to have her ask her doctor for a machine that helps prevent SIDS when the baby is born. You hook it up like a heart monitor and it goes off if you dont breath. It gets loud, and startles the baby to wake up and breathe. SIDS is when the baby misses a brain signal to breathe and suffocates in their sleep. There still is not much known today, but they do have medical equipment for families that would like one. Try waitiing til your mother concerns about SIDS again then say "Hey mom, I'm scared too, because I love you and I dont like to see you worried or sad. So I looked into it, and I found out that there is a monitor you can have a baby hooked up to while they are asleep and if anything happens that isnt right an alarm will go off. Why dont we ask the doctor about that mom? Maybe it will help us." I hope aall goes well for your family

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User

I believe the SIDS website says that it is more common in boys....

Old 10-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
(female)

mel416 HB User

Boys are only 1.5 times more likely than girls to die from SIDS

Old 10-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

I lost a daughter and my aunt also lost a daughter.

Tell your mother to request an apnea monitor for the first year of the baby's life. It can be stressful to have one as it can set off if the leads aren't just right (random things) but it's something that allows you to actually rest knowing IF anything happens you'll get the alarm. I had one with the child I gave birth to after we lost my daughter. The poor boy, it helped him to sleep because otherwise I would freak out if he was breathing too shallow and wake him up.

There is a SIDS hotline and I'm sorry I don't have the number handy, but it sure helped me when I was pregnant after I lost my baby. I was terrified. I bet a simple search would find the hotline number, it's a great resource.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

It's important to remember that an apneoa monitor does not prevent SIDS. But it alarms when (and if) a baby stops breathing. Hopefully the alarm is enough to startle a baby or at the very least give you the warning to get in there and intervene...
I have three children. I have seen babys become apneoic (stop breathing) and I was terrified of SIDS so I bought an apneoa monitor and I used it until each child could climb out of their cot, well beyond the recommended 6 or 12 months. Even tjhough I knew it couldnt stop SIDS it bought me GREAT comfort.
I think it is natural and normal for your mum to be anxious considering her past saddnesses. She will need a lot of support, monitor or not. I wish you and your family well
J

Closed Thread