It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

bresevo HB User
swaddles

is it true that swaddles will help prevent sids? i am a first time mother expecting....my daughter is due oct 14th...and i just have htis bad feeling that sids is going to take her away from me. i am only 18 and i was wondering if age of the mother had anything to do with sids...please help
im stressing..

Old 07-05-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
(female)

newbmom HB User
Re: swaddles

Hi Swaddles,
I am the mom of an 8 month old, with another one on the way. SIDS is definitely a scary issue. I still check my son at night. Ok, somethings to prevent SIDS, I am taking this from a book titled: Your Baby's First Year, second edition, Steven P. Shelov, md,ms,faap, editor in chief. I have found this book extrememly helpful and also the book "What to Expect your babies first year". But please discuss this issue with your pediatrician too.

Anyway, place your baby on his/her back to sleep. I placed my son either on his back or on his side. To keep him on his side I placed a small rolled up towel behind him, for the length of his body to help keep him on his side. This is how they brought him to me in the hospital so I kept it up at home. We would alternate sides that he slept on. It seems the back and side positions are safer than prone(on their stomaches) The books states "Both back and side sleeping positions have a lower rish of SIDS than sleeping on the stomach." The book also states that "placing babies on their backs applies to infants throughout the first year of life. However, it is particularly important during the first 6 months, when the incidence of SIDS is the highest."
It is also important to "avoid placing her on soft, porous surfaces such as pillows, quilts, comforters, sheepskins, or bean bags-even soft materials used for stuffed toys." "No waterbeds, sofas, or soft mattresses." "A firm crib mattress covered by a sheet is the safest bedding."
Keeping her/him in a swaddler is fine, it will keep him/her warm and reduces the risk that a blanket will present by riding up and covering his/her mouth and nose. I used to use a very thin blanket on occasion that I tucked firmly around the mattress. But just make sure the temperature is not too hot/not too cold and a swaddler is needed. Also try to keep your baby upright after feeding, get a good burp or a couple this helps them sleep better and prevent spitting up. The first night you will probably not sleep...we didn't, we were watching him breathe...its scary but they are so beautiful.
I don't think age is a factor. I am 38 y/o and had my first at 37. I did find the two books I mentioned earlier very, very helpful. I found that I would read them as I was waiting for a call back from the Pediatrician and he would say almost exactly what the book had suggested for treatment etc.
As I said before I still check my son everytime I get up during the night. I had tried a sleep positioner too, this is a "wedge" that the baby sleeps on that helps hold them in a certain positioner. If you get one I suggest getting one that is very breathable, mesh-like so if they do turn over the material allows them to breathe. Once my son was 5 or 6 months old however he rolled right over the wedge and back to the store it went...now he sleeps on his stomach and if I turn him over he goes right back. So I don't fight it, he seems to be doing fine.
Good Luck Swaddles! I hope this helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
(female)

newbmom HB User

Hi Swaddles,
It's me again . I just wanted to suggest that you ask your maternity nurse to show you how to swaddle your baby using a receiving blanket. This is how they are brought to you in the hospital. They are used to being all cooped up in your uterus so the swaddling helps to comfort them and make them feel secure. It also prevents little arms and legs from flying open since they can't get a handle on that at first.
Also, if you can or want to place your baby in a bassinet next to your bed, do not put baby in bed with you, that way she/he is right next to you. I had my son in our bedroom for the first 3-4 months.
Again good luck and enjoy that little bundle!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NVD HB User

The swaddlers help prevent SIDS for the fact that the the babies aren't in a bed with a lose blanket that can cover their faces...but I'm not sure for anything else. We just lost our daughter to SIDS in April...there are so many unknowns about this horrible thing. Age plays a factor in some studies, not in others, just depends what book your reading or what doctor you're talking to. Good luck...I'm sure your baby will be just fine!

Last edited by NVD; 07-16-2008 at 12:16 AM.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

I worried about SIDS a lot too, to the point I thought I was insane. My daughter turns 1 in 9 days I had horrible nightmear's after she was born. I still check on her a million times after she has gone to bed for the night. But she is fine and safe every time.
The fact of the matter is that you will worry about it, it's normal to do so, but try not to let it consume your mind. Chances are your daughter will be fine!
We used a swaddle until she grew out of it. Make sure you put her on her back to sleep, but like newbmom said, once they hit a certain age they are going to roll around and find their own comfortable sleeping position, and thats fine too. My daughter started sleeping on her tummy several months ago. At first I rolled her right back onto her back, but she eventually ended up back on her tummy so I let her have her way
But in all honesty, they have not found a cause for SIDS. They have theories, but no definate answer.
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! Everything will be fine!

Closed Thread