It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #1
(female)

papergoods HB User
any precautions you can take? special clothes or mattresses?

Im due at the end of this month Ive been reading a great deal about SIDS. Its terrifying! Has anyone tried anything like special wraps (like the miracle blanket or the halo sleep sack) or that Halo mattress that they say circulates air and can help prevent sids?

Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #2
(female)

Monkey7935 HB User
Re: any precautions you can take? special clothes or mattresses?

There are a lot of myths about SIDS. My sister died from it as a baby as well. Basically its for some unknown reason the baby stops breathing while in sleep. We cant prevent the body to quit working. However, if there is risk in the family, there is a monitor available. The monitor is wires attached to the baby, and if the child stops breathing or a wire is moved, an alarm will go off--in the even that happens, the baby is startled awake, and so the parents. The child if stopped and alarm go off, wiill breathe as startled awake. There are suffocation myths, and myths about how the child should lay when put to bed. I've seen it go from the child sleeping on back to front, front to back...I personally think, the side is the best position, however, to keep pillows away and blankets that can suffocate the baby. (thats why there are those really warm sleepers). You should also talk to your ob about these concerns and your lamaze coach..dont be afraid to ask and learn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

skbrmom HB User

The latest thing I have learned about preventing SIDS is to have a fan running in the babys room but not directly blowing on the baby!! Studies have concluded that the circulating air can drastically reduce the number of SIDS deaths each year! What a simple thing to do!
Dont fear SIDS. Just assume that your baby will be just fine. Common sense goes a long way towards raising a healthy baby. Just enjoy your new baby! Congratulations to you, in advance!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NVD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbrmom View Post
The latest thing I have learned about preventing SIDS is to have a fan running in the babys room but not directly blowing on the baby!! Studies have concluded that the circulating air can drastically reduce the number of SIDS deaths each year! What a simple thing to do!
Dont fear SIDS. Just assume that your baby will be just fine. Common sense goes a long way towards raising a healthy baby. Just enjoy your new baby! Congratulations to you, in advance!
I just have to comment on this thread. First of all, there isn't a thing you can do to prevent SIDS from happening. Everyone has their own theories on what can prevent it, yet nothing has been proven. One will say put a fan in the room because the air circulates and helps them breathe, yet another will say that the white noise the fan creates can cause them to fall too deeply into their sleep. Whatever. It's just a bunch of thoughts and ideas that "may or may not" help prevent it, but none will prevent it alone.
I used to be a SIDS instructor for the Back to Sleep campaign. I taught clients the ins and outs of SIDS, what to do to "prevent" it from happening. I thought because I was so educated in it, that my babies would be safe. It was a false sense of security. My baby died in April to SIDS. Common sense alone isn't going to get you anywhere when it comes to this horrible thing! No matter what you do right, no one is truly protected from it!
Comments like this are very irritating, and insulting to those of us who have lost a baby to SIDS.

Last edited by NVD; 10-21-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
(female)

skbrmom HB User

No insult was intended. I am sorry for your loss, NVD. Starting out with a newborn baby can be scary enough. Fearing SIDS is just one more heavy burden for a new mom, and like you have said, maybe it's something one can not even prevent. So why stress and scare a new mom? Using common sense is still a logical thing to do when caring for a baby. But there are never any guarantees that that will keep a baby perfectly safe and healthy. You just do your best.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
(female)

confused226 HB User

Hi.

First off, I'd like to say I'm so very sorry to those who have lost their babies to SIDS. I've never experienced it so I can't begin to imagine what it's like. I agree that there really isn't anything a person can do to prevent it. It isn't like the reason babies die from SIDS is because the parents didn't do anything to stop it. It happens. Unfortunately. You hear all these things that babies stop breathing because they still think they're inside the womb so they count on the mom's to breathe...you hear don't put your baby on her tummy because she can suffocate. She isn't old enough to realize she isn't breathing so she won't lift up her head or move her head to the side. Then you hear don't put your baby on his back because if he vomits or spits up from his formula he can choke. And even laying on their sides supposed to be dangerous because they can turn their face slightly against the mattress and stop breathing. It's like nothing you can do can actually prevent SIDS from happening. Of course we all wish there was something that could be done, but unfortunately there isn't. At least not yet. I was always afraid with my 2 kids. My lil one is 7 months and my older one is 2 and people say kids die from SIDS at the age of 2. I think I heard that happening maybe once or twice. It isn't too common but I'm sure it's possible.

The best thing to do is try not to worry so much about it happening. I know it's a very scary thought because you know you can't stop it but just try not to let it worry you. You will be fine and so will your baby.

G luck on the labor by the way! and Congrats!

*~Chrissy~*

Old 11-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
(female)

katyhilton HB User

I was paranoid too... I have had 3 babies. While I was preggo with my 2nd a friend of mine had her baby pass from SIDS and it terrified me. So I looked into it as much as I could... and read that you need to keep them on their backs (among other things) to reduce the risk. Well... a coworker of mine then had a newborn (like 2 weeks old) who was sleeping on her back, slightly propped, just like they say to do - and the poor baby had started vomiting while alone in the room and drowned in her own vomit. THAT happened a month after my friends baby passed due to SIDS. So this is just me personally... but with my 2nd two baby boys-I would not let them out of my sight for the first 5 months. I had a baby sling and a cosleeper bassinet attached to my bed and I was keenly aware of evey sound/movement my baby made at all time... and I lost 5 months of sleep over it but I am ok with that. I would not leave them alone in a room for more than a minute. I would even put them in a carrier to take in the bathroom with me when I had to go... my youngest (10 months old now) sleep thru the night in his own room just fine now. Don't let anyone tell you having your baby next to you at all times is going to make him clingy or refuse to sleep alone. Mine loves his crib - I moved him to it when he was 6 months old.... but I won't put bumpers up because I am scared he will wrap himself up in them. Yah... i am a very paranoid mommy. Now... don't get me started on choking hazards. That scares me just as bad as SIDS.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
(female)

brighteyes08 HB User

Hi there... first let me say that there really is nothing you can do to prevent SIDS. The best thing you can do is place the baby on their back and keep them in a room with a ceiling fan or oscillating fan. Also, keep things out of the crib/bassinet. I've read articles and studies on many different things, and tho they all make sense... I've learned that there really isn't anything you can do to prevent it. One thing you should look into is a Nanny Monitor (it monitors breathing and sounds an alarm if your baby stops breathing). Unfortunately, I learned about the fans (air movement) a month too late. I lost my 4.5 mo old daughter Sept 2nd, and a new article came out in October about the possibility of fans in the room with the sleeping infant may help reduce the risk, something to do with constant air movement. My daughter passed in her sleep in a room where the ceiling fan was off. The worse thing you can do right now is stress about your newborn... neither one of you needs that. You have 2 other children and you already know that what you did with them worked, so keep at it =) Since this has happened I have done a TON of research, and even tho I understand basically how it happened and whatnot, there still is no reason as to why... there is no way to determine what baby is a higher risk than another, which is why I am striving to raise funds and awareness for. We may never know why it happens, but if we can help figure out how to do a simple test at birth, maybe parents will stand a fighting chance!

Last edited by brighteyes08; 11-29-2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typos

Old 11-30-2008, 01:48 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Hi,
I agree that there isnt anything that will prevent SIDS and my heart goes out to all who have been touched by it. I have had three baby's and SIDS kept me frightened for years. But in Australia a lot of research has been done into SIDS and identifying risk factors. With good success. No one knows what causes SIDS but they have identified some things that can reduce the risk (not eliminate but reduce).

1. lay your baby on their back from birth
2. make the cot up with the baby's feet at the bottom
3. use a new, firm, clean, well fitting mattress
4. Do not put your baby on a water bed or bean bag
5.Quilts, doonas, duvets, pillows, soft toys and cot bumpers in the cot are not recommended
6.Tuck in your baby's bedclothes securely (I used a sleeping bag)
7.Make sure your baby's head remains uncovered during sleep
8. do not expose the baby to cigarette smoke

There are some good websites in Australia about SIDS.
Everyone has theories and all are valid for them. I suggest you consider all advice and take what ever fits for you.
Good luck for the birth of your little one. It is a beautiful time. oh, and there is no such thing as common sense when you have a new born in the house LOL!!!
J

Last edited by jsfai; 11-30-2008 at 01:58 AM.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
(female)

want a good out HB User

I used Halo sleep sacks and I had a motion moniter/sound moniter that fit under the mattress and if there was no motion for 20 sec. it alarmed. It detected breathing. It was by ANGEL CARE. Babies r us. A godsend!!! Yes, it did alarm and we rushed into her room and found her laying on her back in her halo sleep sack with her eyes open lookong like "what the heck is that sound". It didn't make her cry, but it did startle her. We quit using it when she was about 11 mo. old and we would find her in the corner of her crib off of the sensor pad as it was alarming. The scariest thing to think about is sids. Want A Good Outcome.

Last edited by want a good out; 02-22-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
(female)

jennifero HB User

I, myself, do not have any children, though there are a few things I've heard that may help to prevent against SIDS.

Tucking the bedclothes securely under the crib, laying the baby on their back, and one more thing, keep air circulating in the baby's room (using a fan).

I'm sorry to those who have lost an infant to SIDS, it's a terrible thing that sometimes cannot be prevented.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
(female)

jana83 HB User

Actually, (safe) co-sleeping with your baby reduces the risks of SIDS, because the mom's breathing rhythm stimulates the baby to breathe if they stop - besides, mom is usually aware of everything that goes on and can react on the spot (the tiniest whimper is enough to wake you up since you tend to sleep very lightly around a baby). I'm not saying it can prevent all incidences of SIDS, sometimes an undetected heart issue can be the factor and there's really nothing you can do about that, but some instances certainly can be prevented.

Breastfeeding has been found to reduce the risk, too. Make sure you don't try to impose some ridiculous feeding schedule on your baby - nurse on demand or at least every 3-4 hours.

Possibly (but I'm not sure about this one) carrying your baby in a wrap/sling often could help, too - babies thrive on lots of body contact.

If you really must keep baby in their own room, use a breathing monitor (Angelcare or some such), don't let the room get too hot and make sure air circulation is good.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
(female)

smoochienbean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by papergoods View Post
Im due at the end of this month Ive been reading a great deal about SIDS. Its terrifying! Has anyone tried anything like special wraps (like the miracle blanket or the halo sleep sack) or that Halo mattress that they say circulates air and can help prevent sids?
Yes there are many things you can do. First, if money allows you can buy an infant breathing alarm that goes under baby while sleeping and will sound an alarm if he doesn't breathe. Other than that, keep the air circulating at all times. No blankets or pillows or bumper pads or anything in the crib. Sleep as close to baby as you can for the first six months. Hearing/feeling you breathe will help regulate his breathing. Keep the room 79 degrees or below.

Reply Reply