It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

L0gans mom HB User
Unhappy Did vaccines do this???

Hi..I am a mom to a beautiful 20 month old and I have a wonderful hubby. We were blessed Jan 2011 with a 13lb healthy baby boy. We lost him to SIDS on May 2, 2011. We have no clue what caused..he went to sleep and never woke up. Any idea what caused it, he was vaccinated 2 weeks prior and the dr at the time said he was perfect. Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the smoking theroy? What if someone in the house smoked outside

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Did vaccines do this???

I am so terribly sorry that you lost your child.

No one really knows what causes SIDS. Vaccines do not seem to increase the risk, and in most cases, there are no warning signs in advance, the baby appears perfectly healthy just a few hours before death.

Smoking in the house can increase the risk, but if someone occasionally smoked outside, I don't think it would matter that much. Putting babies to sleep on their backs can reduce the risk, and so can making sure they aren't overheated. One theory is that SIDS is related to bacteria, but I don't think it's been proven yet.

Researchers are working hard to figure out the mystery of SIDS, but we just don't know yet. Some of my relatives, who grew up back when infant deaths were tragically common, would have said that God just loved your son too much to wait.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
L0gans mom (08-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
(female)

L0gans mom HB User

Thank you so much!! If you do not mind me asking, did you lose a child to SIDS and if so, did the ME do a tox screen? Ours did because the autopsy showed nothing wrong. She said he looked perfect. We still have not gotten the tox results back and it has been 3 months. CPS will not clear their investigation until they come back..I swear they acted like my husband or myself did something wrong...we did everything right according to the cops and hospital...it just adds more to the nightmare!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
(female)

MaggiesMum HB User

My family lost a baby to sids also this yr in January and it has done nothing but tear up our lives. I to am a tad confussed about the vaccine side of things. our little girl was 4 months old when she went to heaven and her vaccines were given only a week prior to her passing. I am new to this forum but am up to chatting with any mum out there who has lost a child to SIDS/SUDI.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
(female)

mjmjam2002 HB User

My 18 month old daughter died from SUDC. Which is what they call SIDS, after the age of 1.
There was nothing in autopsy. She had a slightly enlarged brain, she had a involuted thymus gland, at least I think that's what it was. Its been 3 years. . She did receive her dpat and flu shot the day before. Well baby check up the day before she died. I'm not sure what I think, I go all over still researching things. her toxicology was fine, genetically whatever they can run after death was fine.

You can't force a 18 month old to sleep on their back. She slept in my bed because her dad was deployed. She was alone, middle of the day during a nap. She could pull clothes off of herself, she could jump, if she didn't want to sleep all she would have had to do was get up because the mattress was on the floor.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
(female)

RainbowBridge HB UserRainbowBridge HB User

I am so sorry that is awful. I noticed you wrote she had the flu shot the day before. What does your doctor say about the flu shot? I have never trusted the flu shot. I had it over 15 years ago and had one of the worst kinds of flu a month later..
anyway, so sorry for you loss

Old 08-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
(female)

MommyOfOne1974 HB User

There are correlations between vaccinations and SIDS. Many of the SIDS babies I've heard about (not all of them, just most) have had vaccinations not long before their loss. Whether it be vaccinations or the flu shot, there are no 100% safe vaccines.

As far as the sleeping on back/tummy, sadly babies can die sleeping on their backs as well (my son was a tummy sleeper since the day he came home from the hospital and he's 2 1/2 now).

No one knows why this happens, its just a horrible issue to deal with, I can't imagine what you are going through. Many healing hugs to you mama.

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Last edited by MommyOfOne1974; 08-27-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:09 AM   #8
(female)

karlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB User
Unhappy Re: Did vaccines do this???

Hi. My son Kory didn't just have recent shots. He was 8'8 when he was born. Big and healthy. Please don't make yourself crazy listening to others "ideas" or what "they heard" like I did to myself. People that hadn't even lost a baby to SIDS. Most people are trying to help tho. Good motives. I just was emotionally in no condition to handle all that extra stuff then or now even. People said some hurtful things to me that I still cannot fathom. I do realize they weren't trying to be evil or anything. Researchers are working so hard on patterns for SIDS. I'm so glad it doesn't mean that siblings also are at risk. In fact, way less chances of it happening twice in the same family. You are not alone, Hun. Jemma.

Reply Reply