It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2003, 02:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

tcb0609 HB User
Post How could this happen?

Just a quick question....

A friend of a friend's 10 week old baby died from SIDS today. She died while napping in her swing? How could this happen? I always thought that babies died from SIDS while they were in their crib or bassinet...from suffocating on their blanket or something like that, or sleeping on their stomachs. I have never heard of it happening like that before. Does this seem right to anyone? What do you think?

Old 07-28-2003, 05:11 AM   #2
Veteran

villagegal68455 HB User
hi--in answer to your question, yes sids can happen anytime anywhere...i knew a girl who had her baby die while holding it in her arms...

------------------
"To really live, you must nearly die"-author unknown
April-may you always dance with the angels above

[Please never post your real name on the boards.
Please read and follow the board guidelines.
For clarification, please email moderator2. Thank you!]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 09-30-2003).]
April-may you always dance with the angels above

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 04:39 AM   #3

Shosharnah HB User
Hi,

I just wanted to say a quick Hi to you and send my sympathy to your friends. I am a SIDS parent and have worked within SIDS counselling here in Australia. SIDS is tragic. It can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. I have experience with parents whose babies have passed away in their arms, in prams, in swings.......anywhere. There is little one can do. Again, it is tragic, and I sympathise for any parent who must carry a burden of such deep grief.....to out live their child.
Always,
Shosharnah.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:44 AM   #4

RMiller HB User
Re: How could this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosharnah
Hi,

I just wanted to say a quick Hi to you and send my sympathy to your friends. I am a SIDS parent and have worked within SIDS counselling here in Australia. SIDS is tragic. It can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. I have experience with parents whose babies have passed away in their arms, in prams, in swings.......anywhere. There is little one can do. Again, it is tragic, and I sympathise for any parent who must carry a burden of such deep grief.....to out live their child.
Always,
Shosharnah.
What is unknown to many parents is the fact that many cases of SIDS occur shortly after a vaccination. Usually within hours or a few days.
A search of the government VAERS database shows many, many, deaths which occured soon after a series, yet the doctor (covering his arse) claimed the death as SIDS.

There is a searchable VAERS database at medalerts
Check it out.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb0609
Just a quick question....

A friend of a friend's 10 week old baby died from SIDS today. She died while napping in her swing? How could this happen? I always thought that babies died from SIDS while they were in their crib or bassinet...from suffocating on their blanket or something like that, or sleeping on their stomachs. I have never heard of it happening like that before. Does this seem right to anyone? What do you think?

Hi

My sisters baby ended up staying in the hospital longer then normal after birth since she was so sick with flu when she had him. that is when they discovered he would stop breathing while sleeping. they said it was sleep apnea and put him on a breathing monitor, that would beep when he stopped breathing and she would wake him she also had to learn cpr tecniques. she never had to use the cpr, it seemed just waking him up caused him to start breathing again. she was very depressed that her baby had to be on the breathing machine for 4 or 5 months. it was inconvenient and made him look like a sick baby. but it may have saved him from SIDS. i don't know that they would have caught it if he hadn't been hospitalized longer then the 2-3 day period.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #6
Inactive

LoveBug HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller
What is unknown to many parents is the fact that many cases of SIDS occur shortly after a vaccination. Usually within hours or a few days.
A search of the government VAERS database shows many, many, deaths which occured soon after a series, yet the doctor (covering his arse) claimed the death as SIDS.

There is a searchable VAERS database at medalerts
Check it out.
so, are we not supposed to have our children vaccinated until they are at least one year old or what? how can i prevent my baby from getting SIDS? is it dangerous as well to delay vaccinations, or is it a good idea?

Old 02-07-2004, 09:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angel77 HB User

I don't know that you can necessarily prevent SIDS. I don't think there's any cut and dry cause. From what research I've done on vaccinations, I have chosen to wait until my son is 2. At 2 they have a protective barrier around their cells and it almost completely stops the risks associated with vaccinations early on.

What scares us most about SIDS is we really don't know the why of it and feel that it's somehow our faults if something like it happens. We shouldn't have vaccinated, should've staid awake longer that night, shouldn't have let them roll to their tummy, etc. That's part of being a parent and it stinks. You never know true fear until you have a child.

Hop to the vaccination board, it has many different views, it may help you make an educated decision. I have read research though about DTaP upping the risk of SIDS 3-4 fold in the first 3 days. I don't know if it's an internal reaction or something that's underlying, triggered by the vaccines. The danger level is there for both, so you need to look at it all and then decide. It's still going to be hard.

Closed Thread