It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
(male)

mlphish HB User
Suboxone Withdrawals

Hi everyone, I need all of your help and quick responses! I have been taking Suboxone which was prescribed to me by a money hungry doctor. He initially put me on 16 mg per day then up'ed it to 20 mg per day. I've been on it for about 5 and a half months, but in the last two months, I've weened myself down to 8 mgs per day, and in the last month, i've only been taking 2 mgs in the morning and 2 mg's at night. And I felt fine, with a few minor irritations. But I cannot afford this doctor anymore and i tried to get off completely. Now I've run out of my suboxone completely and have been off for 2 days. I feel like hell and am going through severe withdrawal symptoms, like body aches, restless syndrome, diarehha. Just think of someone who never experienced this and the worst time they were sick. This is like 100 times worse. How long will this last and is there anything I can do to help ease these symptoms. I've been missing work and school because I've been so sick. Please give me any advice you can. I would really appreciate it a lot!!
Thanks, Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
(male)

mlphish HB User
Re: Suboxone Withdrawals

I cannot bear the pain anymore please help with any advice possible!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
(female)

2nd_chance HB User

Hey there,

I am sorry that you are going through this. I recommend reading the first posts on this board about detoxing, the thomas recipe, etc. You are going through withdrawals my friend. Usually the first 3 days are the worst but sub is kind of different. It stays in your system so long that I don't think the last of it is out until day 3. I've heard of people quitting sub and feeling fine until day 4 and then feeling like they are dying. Tell people around you that you have the flu if you need to and rest. If you have anything to help you sleep, like xanax, soma, benadryl, nyquil, etc. try it. Drink a ton of water. Take hot, hot baths. Load up on your vitamins. If you can get to a health food store get some l tyrosine and take 4 1000 mg pills a day in the morning with 4 100 mg. b6 pills together- have to have the b6 for the Ltyrosine to work. When you start feeling better but are just lethargic try red bull. Watch some movies and rest! Journal. Write all of this down in detail so when you have a craving for a pain pill you can read it and remind yourself why you don't want to go down that road again. Because it always leads to this, or death.Get some immodium for the diahhrea, take more than u think you need. It has something in it that helps with opiate withdrawal. I've even heard that a cough syrup called del something helps. Try to keep your strength up with slim fast shakes or protein bars or soups or whatever you can handle, you need to eat.

I don't know what else to say buddy. It will end. It will be over. Ideally you could have had a slower taper, gone down to the 2 mg dose for several weeks, then 1 mg, etc.

Oh yea, the biggest and best thing- thank you BuckEye Tim- is EXERCISE! It seems laughable now like yea right, ***? but seriously it will make your body start creating its own endorphins again that it stopped making when you were on pain meds and sub. It will also help you sweat out your toxins and release all of those feel good chemicals in your brain.

Keep reminding yourself that this is temporary. There's a light at the end of the tunnel and you are halfway there.

Hang in there.

Debbie

Last edited by moderator2; 07-21-2007 at 12:01 AM.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

i advise you to get back on the sub and do a taper down over few months till you get to 1mg then go half mg then very small pieces.otherwise you are gonna feel this way for at least 21 days.good luck-spark

Old 07-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

kuk07 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark-o-cet View Post
i advise you to get back on the sub and do a taper down over few months till you get to 1mg then go half mg then very small pieces.otherwise you are gonna feel this way for at least 21 days.good luck-spark
I agree, and read about PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) Addiction changes the brain. During treatment some of these brain changes can be reversed. If you stop treatment too soon the symptoms of withdrawal return. It is important to match your taper with your brains ability to heal. There will still be some withdrawal at the end but it doesn't have to be that bad. I didn't even miss a day of work.

Jake

Old 07-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
(male)

mlphish HB User

Thanks for all of your advice everyone! I really appreciate it alot, but I still feel like I just got run over by a semi-truck! Please keep posting and giving me more help and advice, everyone who has experienced this or has knowledge about this problem can give me more advice...the more the better! Once again, I thank you all and God bless you!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
(male)

Benthere HB User

Hello, I hope your doing okay, I think you should go back on any taper off
of them.
I tried to detox with nothing off of pain meds and went for 30 to 40
days. It was bad and didn't look it would get any better. I went back on
perocets or what ever I could get. I'm on Suboxone now and have been
for 1 1/2 years now. I've been taping for the last few months and take only
one a day ( 8 mg ) now. If I take 2 of them I can't sleep at night. I came
back here to see what I should do. Hoping I could find a answer and pass
to my doc. to get off them. I know you said your doc was money hungry.
I paid 75 every 3 months and maybe 4 for meds a month. That's if I use
all 90 of them which I don't. Maybe you need to shop around and taper.
I think that's what I'm going to do. Good Luck!! Ben

Old 07-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
(female)

Pilllover5555 HB User

I have been on SUBOXONE for 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!! I started at 32mg a day, only because I was addicted to vicodin & ultram for 7 years at 40 pills a day. I am now ONLY on 20 mg, I know my doc as well is stringing me along, I just now got insurance, so for 3 years paying $150 to see her and $8 per pill out here in CHicago, I was basically homeless just about because of this dam drug. I tried getting off it myself. The first 7 days was great! I thought wow this isnt so bad after all, WRONG!!!!!!!!!! I could not sleep for anyhting,. i was a ZOMBI, walking around half asleep, sitting on what I thought was my bed but it was a desk and fell down cracked my head open had bruises all over, it was hell, doc told me to not drive but to get to her ASAP, i drove anyhow, knodded off at the wheel twice and cause accidents! A semi truck hit me cause i feel asleep! I got back on them so fast! I am now addicted to these more than the vicodin, I am also worried and affraid to get off them. I need to write back later about my reg doc giving me zanax, taking them both knocks me out and you feel like hell the next day, will be back later today, im at work!
chicago girl

Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
(male)

Benthere HB User

8 for one pill is a lot to me. Shop around is what I did, I went from 6 for
one to $4.66 for one pill. Go to Pharm. that have a lot of business. The
smaller ones where the highest. I also think your better off on the Sub
because when I was on pain meds I couldn't pay my bills. I could spent
200 to 400 a day on them for 2 of us. What ever I made went that way.
No control at all. On the sub I do have control of things. As bad as we where
I think you can cut back to one sud a day. What's next I don't know, as long as I don't go backwards. Good Luck to all !! It's not easy !!Ben

Old 07-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

I am sorry you feel that your DR is a money grubbing person, you know that is not un common for sub Dr's to charge an arm and a leg... not all do though.

why don't you try and find another Dr that is less expenisve and one you don't feel so negative about.

stopping a medication so abruptly like SUB may not have been the wisest thing to do, are you aware of that, its dangerous to do!!! and of coarse you are going to feel horrible, this is 10 times stronger than a normal opiate so obviously your going to be REALLY sick and for a long time to.

If I were you I would do a taper, slowly. this is a drug that your supposed to come off slowly, you don't just go from 16 mgs to nothing and excpect to feel great. or even if you were on a lower dose it would be the same issues with W/D.. How long were you on this medication, were you using it as a maintance drug or just for a Quick taper program?

if you just can't afford it, try methadone, you can do that to but you cannot stop it once you start without a slow taper. I am very surpised you just stopped such a powerful strong medication just like that. It is dangerous and scary and you will be sick for weeks to months.

SS

See if you can locate another Dr who you like and is cheaper. go to the manufactures web site and get a list of all the Dr's in your area and call them...

good luck!

Old 07-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
(female)

Pilllover5555 HB User
Wink Re: Suboxone Withdrawals

I have been on SUBOXONE for 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!! I started at 32mg a day, only because I was addicted to vicodin & ultram for 7 years at 40 pills a day. I am now ONLY on 20 mg, I know my doc as well is stringing me along, I just now got insurance, so for 3 years paying $150 to see her and $8 per pill out here in CHicago, I was basically homeless just about because of this dam drug. I tried getting off it myself. The first 7 days was great! I thought wow this isnt so bad after all, WRONG!!!!!!!!!! I could not sleep for anyhting,. i was a ZOMBI, walking around half asleep, sitting on what I thought was my bed but it was a desk and fell down cracked my head open had bruises all over, it was hell, doc told me to not drive but to get to her ASAP, i drove anyhow, knodded off at the wheel twice and cause accidents! A semi truck hit me cause i feel asleep! I got back on them so fast! I am now addicted to these more than the vicodin, I am also worried and affraid to get off them. I need to write back later about my reg doc giving me zanax, taking them both knocks me out and you feel like hell the next day, will be back later today, im at work!
chicago girl

Old 07-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
(female)

Pilllover5555 HB User
Wink Re: Suboxone Withdrawals

ok Im back. No see I didnt have insurance. I do now I have HMO it covers 100% of my visits, and I pay $20 for 320 SUBOXONE now its wonderful. And as far as me trying to get off it that one time, yes I did tapper for 3 months. I tappered VERY SLOW! I am to affraid to try meth thats why I did this pill thing. But I am telling you guys..I am so so so scared to get off, but I do have AWFUL side effects from this. I SWEAT so much it's unreal. My doc said it is a side effect but sweating all the time? This is nuts! And of course I have gained weight!! too much so I am trying this ALLI diet pill, its working very good. I just dont know how I am going to get off this suboxone. I bought the dvd series from HBO's store called "addisction" theres 6 cd's in there, one part talks about SUB for like 10 minutes, thats it. But I try to watch intervention and get as much info as I can about this med . I was not using it as lots of people do 8 day period with the Sub. I been on it for years, and my doc tells me people can be on a maintnenace dose say 2mg which is nothing really but that they can be on it for the rest of there life if needed.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
(male)

jimo1120 HB User

I got on this web site trying to get answers to how I can get off 1 mg of sub a day. Been on sub for almost 3 mos, started at 4 mgs (was prescribed 8), a day after about a month or so, got down to 2 mgs a day, another month or so, to 1 mg.
Lets start at the beginning. First time I was hooked on painkillers was about 9 years ago. After about a year on them, I quit my job and stopped taking the pain killers cold turkey. It was the worst two weeks of my life, but I recovered. The stupidest thing I ever did was too think I could take one 5 mg, (2 times a day), of hydrocodone instead of the 60 mgs I was doing back then, and not get hooked again. Tried quiting about week and a half later, couldn't. Within about three months, was doing more than the 60 mgs I was doing years ago. My lower back went out, just started a new job, and was impossible to not show up to work, although now, I wish I wouldn't have went to work.
Now, back to me trying to get off 1 mg of sub a day. I guess I don't have it as bad as you, or other people out there, but I still go into withdrawls by the time I wake up the next morning, and it feels just as bad as going through withdrawls coming off hydrocodone. If there is anyone out there that got down to 1 mg a day, and ended up finally getting off sub, how long on 1 mg a day did it take?

Old 07-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
(female)

rozetat2 HB User

how about going to .75mgs for a 3-4 days, then go to .5 mgs for about a week, then either jump off or take it every other day for awhile then jump

Old 07-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #15
(female)

queenpooch HB User

(Checking on Mike)

Hi Mike,

My heart goes out to you and I hope you are feeling better. I quit taking Hydrocodone this past Thursday, July 26 after a year of taking about 20 mg every day for sciatica. (Some days I took more.) I got tired of the cognitive side effects of the hydrocodone - the inability to think of words and not remembering things - as well as the MAJOR irritability when I would come down off of it. Although the hydro helped me get things done and left me almost pain-free, it was affecting my marriage and my relationship with my children and friends. My son told me that I seemed preoccupied all the time and that I didn't smile anymore. The drooling wasn't too attractive either. (kidding)

Anyway, Friday through Monday was hell-on-earth. I felt like I had been hit by a truck! I hadn't felt that bad since getting the swine flu in 1991. I really thought I was going to die, and even reminded my husband that I wanted to be cremated.

The detox and addiction web sites that I checked didn't say anything about the severe muscle aches, nightmares, extreme anxiety and agitation. I wish I had checked Health Boards first! What a comfort to read that others had also experienced my exact withdrawal symptoms and had succeeded in quitting for good!

Five days later and I feel really good. The muscle aches are almost gone and I have energy. The diarrhea is gone. Ditto for the nightmares and anxiety. My appetite has returned - almost. I can put sentences together again! Yes, my sciatica hurts and I have to take aspirin every 8 hours. That's fine. I almost welcome the old familiar pain. Most importantly, my smile has returned and I want to spend time with my husband and children rather than force myself to be social. (Happy sigh)

I so hope you are better. Please let us know how you are.

Healing thoughts your way,

Maggie

Closed Thread