It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
(male)

Hargow HB User
Swine flu: Can the virus 'die' by itself after prolonged period of time....?

I'm scared about the swine flu epidemic and I was wondering.
Pretend one person got it, then sneezed onto a table. The table now is covered by the flu. Then one day, this person is cured, however, the table was left alone. Does this mean if this person touches the table and doesn't wash his hands, that he can still catch the flu again?
Thanks, I'm really worried

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Swine flu: Can the virus/bacteria 'die' by itself after prolonged period of time.

Flu is caused by a virus. Viruses live in body cells and cannot survive and reproduce outside these cells. It is possible for a virus to survive in body fluids left on a surface for a while, but not for more than a few minutes. As the body cells in the fluid die, so do the viruses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Swine flu: Can the virus/bacteria 'die' by itself after prolonged period of time.

Actually, under the right circumstances, flu viruses can live up to 2 weeks on a surface. However, they usually die within a few days at the worst, and most other viruses are less hardy. The only way it can last more than 2 weeks is if it finds a new person to live in, or if it is specially preserved by scientists.

If someone has just recovered from a particular illness, he won't catch it from being exposed again. He might catch another illness from being weak and run-down, but he should be immune to the first bug.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Hey everyone. Hi Seraph, if I may:

So viruses are in general intracellular pathogens--that is they live and replicate within the confines of body cells. Each different type of virus has a different type of body cell it likes to attack. Herpes Simplex, for example, likes non-keratinized skin surface while Hepatitis B obviously likes hepatocytes. While living and replicating in body tissue, viruses as part of their life cycle are "shed" in to non-cellular components of body fluids. For example, HIV is shed in to breast milk and HSV/HPV are shed in to genital secretions. The same way influenza is shed in to respiratory secretions and when you sneeze, the fomites (essentially sneeze particles) can contain large amounts of virus. The influenza virus and other viruses such as Hepatitis B can actually live on surfaces outside body cells for a relatively long period of time--on the scale of hours to days for influenza to a few days/weeks for Hep B!

That said, let me tell you a little bit about the swine flu. Mexico actually contacted Toronto two weeks before any cases of the flu were reported to the news. Part of this is because of our public health experience with the previous SARS outbreak. They had reported that a disproportionate number of young, healthy individuals were dying from an unidentified pathogen, though they were suspecting a novel version of Influenza A H1N1. The thing with respiratory viruses, unless you specifically test for them, you won't find them. Even in Canada, when people present with minor respiratory complaints to the ER, most doctors don't think of doing a nasopharyngeal swab to rule out resp viruses; however, this tends to happen more often with people who are more sick. As a result, when the outbreak was first reported, it seemed like the virus was only killing young people because they were the only ones being tested.

After speaking with public health officials from downtown Toronto, it was suggested that ANY person coming to the hospital or doctors' office with a fever should have an NP swab to be tested for viruses. As a result, all of a sudden they were finding MANY more cases, and the vast majority of them were NOT life-threatening. Because of the previous SARS outbreak, obviously we are a lot more sensitive to the prospect of a global pandemic so clearly the media has been pumping this story.

Last edited by harka; 04-27-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!! I have been telling this to people on another health site and they are just freaked out by the media reports. They keep pointing out that 100 people have died but they forget the population of Mexico city is over 25 million. It's the largest city in the world. And no one knows how many have already had it so they can't give a ratio of illnesses to deaths.

Quite frankly, I'm far more afraid of drunk drivers!

thank you again.................Jenny B

Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
(male)

boosie HB User

Swine influenza (also swine flu) refers to influenza caused by any strain of the influenza virus that is endemic in pigs (swine). Strains endemic in swine are called swine influenza virus (SIV). Of the three genera of Orthomyxoviridae that are endemic in humans, two are endemic also in swine: Influenzavirus A (common) or Influenzavirus C (rare).[1] Influenzavirus B has not been reported in swine. Within Influenzavirus A and Influenzavirus C, the strains endemic to swine and humans are largely distinct.

People who work with poultry and swine, especially people with intense exposures, are at risk of infection with influenza from these animals if the animals carry a strain that is also able to infect humans. This virus is carried to humans through interspecies sex acts. The strain responsible for the 2009 swine flu outbreak is believed to have undergone such a mutation.[2]

In humans, the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general. In most cases, the strain responsible for the 2009 swine flu outbreak causes only mild symptoms

Old 04-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Well said Boosie--thanks.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-29-2009 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Please don't "Quote Reply" an immediate prior post. Use "Quick Reply" instead. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

So when we women says you men "are pigs" we might just be correct????(present company not included).

Thank you for the info. I am constantly surprised by what I learn here...and fascinated. Glad you both came along.

thank you again................Jenny

Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

respiratory viruses like flu can cross species just from farmers hanging around with animals, or nursing sick ones. Interspecies sex acts are not required, though they can allow other types of viruses a chance to make the "jump"

One thing you gotta understand is: Flu viruses jump species every single year. That's why we have new strains every year. This one they're talking about on TV is more new than usual, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence that it's a major killer.

In 1918, healthy 20-year-olds were catching it and dying within hours. I haven't heard any reports of anything like that.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Sorry, but did you say "interspecies sex act"? If so, forgive me, but does that mean what I think it means?! A human fooling around with one of a different species.....like, say, a pig? I'm assuming I've misunderstood and what you meant was a sex act between an infected pig and a healthy one.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

I completely agree with what Janewhite has said.

Novel flu viruses are made wherever there is a situation where large amounts of people are close to large numbers of animals. Flu season has tended to originate in China from year to year because there are a large number of people in contact with chickens. The funny thing is, is that this whole thing about influenza spreading across the world happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR! There are a couple of things that have made this outbreak more sensational, even though it didn't have to be:

1. It started in Mexico which was unexpected, but not totally unimaginable.

2. It is a strain of flu virus never seen before; HOWEVER, it is still Influenza A H1N1, not some completely never-seen-before genus.

3. The first reported cases were from ICUs, and yes there were young people involved, but as you can guess an ICU population is highly skewed. Of course the people who have influenza in intensive care will be sicker than people NOT in the ICU. Now that almost every febrile person is being tested, it is apparent that the swine flu is no more virulent than our regular home grown flu.

4. Swine flu is actually more drug susceptible than our "homegrown flu"! Flu in N. America this year was largely resistant to oseltamavir, while swine flu is susceptible to it AND zanamavir.

5. Every year, there is a small proportion of people who die unexpectedly from influenza. This is no surprise. The difference between this and this stupid swine flu is that the deaths are so well reported.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #12
(male)

pankajyadav HB User

Hey youm know that the outbreak of swine flu could be the worst flu spread in last several decades. In such a situation it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-01-2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Old 05-01-2009, 05:37 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Highly unlikely pankaj. While I still agree universal precautions should be followed, this outbreak has been severely blown out of proportion by the media.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
(female)

Location: Manchester, England. English but grew up in Greater Vancouver, Canada
lady in black HB User
Smile Re: Swine flu: Can the virus 'die' by itself after prolonged period of time....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hargow View Post
I'm scared about the swine flu epidemic and I was wondering.
Pretend one person got it, then sneezed onto a table. The table now is covered by the flu. Then one day, this person is cured, however, the table was left alone. Does this mean if this person touches the table and doesn't wash his hands, that he can still catch the flu again?
Thanks, I'm really worried
The answer to your question is 'yes', which is why years ago you would wash your hands before you ate; with the advent of antibiotics we all got slack on that stuff but back when TB was prevalent ppl took great care now we are back there. Gd news is we have herbs & btwn them and gd diet our bodies can deal with germs. Remember always that raw garlic in high doses (preferably organic) works like a super antibiotic. It stopped swine flu in it's tracks sadly i was slow 2 react so it damaged my adrenal glands but slowly herbs are healing me so don't panic

Closed Thread