It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
(male)

brando76 HB User
Question Swine Flu & Guillain-Barre Syndrome

Good Day,

I did a Google search about the current swine flu in America and found there were swine flu cases reported in 1976. I read there were several people who received vaccinations shots which ended up making healthy people sick which lead to deaths and several reported guillain-barre.
I was born in 1976 and at the age of 16 years I noticed muscle weakness in my legs and hands but I didnít think nothing of it as everyday it just got worst until I couldnít walk due to paralysis. I was diagnosed with guillain-barre and was hospitalized for 3-4 weeks then two months of physical therapy to learn to walk again.
I was wondering if there could be a possible link between 1976 and 1992.
I am not sure if my mother or myself received any vaccine shots back then but if I did shouldnít I had been ill around 1976 instead of 1992?

Just wondering and any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Swine Flu & Guillain-Barre Syndrome

Hi Brando. Let's get some history corrected first. I was around way back then.

There was a report of a possible world-wide swine flu outbreak that might be catastrophic. Then President Ford urged everyone to get a flu shot and huge clinics where held everywhere. They rushed to make the vaccine. The result was that the flu never hit and more people died from the vaccine than the flu and many were from Guillian-Barre. It wasn't the flu but the hastily made vaccine that caused it.

But Guillian-Barre can occur for a variety of reasons and for the most part, just happens. You wouldn't have gotten the shot as babies were not part of the populace vaccinated...children over 2 were. I remember because my daughter was born in Jan of '76. And Guillian-Barre doesn't show up 16 years later. It's pretty quick in manifesting itself.

If they decide to make a flu vaccine for the current swine flu, it will be made much differently than the way they were made 33 years ago. Ask your doc about whether you should have it or not but if you've had other flu shots in the past few years, you should be just fine.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

rose34511 HB User

That's an interesting question- I was also born in 1976. I didn''t have Guillian Barre in 1992 but had a bad case of mono. Anyway, in 1997 I was diagnosed was Guillian Barre but it wasn't as bad as I've heard it can get, it just lasted a really long time, I went from 135 to <100 lbs and it was extremely painful. Even with the swine flu out there my doctor told me with my history I shouldn't get a flu shot this year. Have you heard the same?

Old 09-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

If you have ever had GB you should NEVER take any flu vaccine. If you have egg allergies you should not take it. Be your own advocate and take care of yourself. Read up on this.

Glad to see someone is reading up on the H1N1 history. The Media is making everyone panic. No way am I taking the new vaccine or any of my kids. Too risky. Swine H1N1 is not new and there are cases every year. You may have had it before and thought you had the regular flu or virus. It rarely kills healthy people.

Also Flu vaccine is the most profitable $$$$$ of all the vaccines. It puts much money in the Manufactuer's pocket. Check into it. Your Doctor is getting it for 75.00 a vial to give 10 shots, that is 7.50 a shot and he gets 25.00 to 40.00 per shot for it.

You have to do what you feel is right. Take if you want too. But do not take it if you have ever had GB. Any Doctor would back that. Oleander

Old 09-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
(female)

rose34511 HB User

Maybe I should clarify. My problem is I'm not a normal, "healthy," 32 year-old. I have type 1 diabetes as well as kidney issues. I am also a graduate student on a campus where several cases of H1N1 have been diagnosed and I have a 2 year-old son who seems to pick up alot of stuff despite my efforts to keep his hands clean. I had a really mild case of Guillian Barre (never hospitalized or anything, just on pain meds for about 3-4 months, I kinda even question the diagnosis) mostly just complicated by the fact that that year my doctor did decide to give me a flu vaccine and it triggered a slight relapse. I am considered a part of the population that could die of any serious flu, although my immune system seems to be alot stronger than "they" give me credit for. Still, couldn't a serious illness, such as the swine flu, also cause a relapse of Guilliam Barre if we were to catch it anyway? In my case I don't know if whether or not to take the flu shot is a simple decision, although I have heard that this year the vaccine was especially hastily prepared. I just don't know of any specific concerns related to to the flu shot, such as, if it's not safe for me, is it at least "safe" (safe of course being relative) for my two-year old to take, which is more the nature of my question.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
(female)

lunanoir HB User

I had moderate Guillain Barre in my mid twenties-couldn't hold a pencil or anything fine motor related, couldn't lift my legs, things like that. I have Charcot Marie Tooths disease, a neuromuscular disease that has similar symptoms, but it wasn't having any real problems at that time, and the Guillain-Barre came on fairly quickly after I had had a lung infection.`My neurologist told me because I had Guillain-Barre in the past that I should never get a flu or pneumonia vaccination because it could cause a recurrence.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

If you have autoimmune diseases you should not get any flu vaccines either. The chemicals and toxins are deterimental to your health and exacerbate it.

If people would focus on the health of their immune system, which they can build up naturally through food and herbs, you wouldn't need a toxic, chemically laden vaccine that may or may not work.....even if it did, not knowing how long possible immunity may last, and not have such harsh toxic chemicals injected into your body which only further lower your immune system. Think about that one for a minute.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
(female)

daisyanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaIn2006 View Post
If you have autoimmune diseases you should not get any flu vaccines either. The chemicals and toxins are deterimental to your health and exacerbate it.

If people would focus on the health of their immune system, which they can build up naturally through food and herbs, you wouldn't need a toxic, chemically laden vaccine that may or may not work.....even if it did, not knowing how long possible immunity may last, and not have such harsh toxic chemicals injected into your body which only further lower your immune system. Think about that one for a minute.
I agree. People foolishly rely only on a vaccine instead of essential vitamins such as C and D. No vaccine for me!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
(female)

daisyanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
Hi Brando. Let's get some history corrected first. I was around way back then.

There was a report of a possible world-wide swine flu outbreak that might be catastrophic. Then President Ford urged everyone to get a flu shot and huge clinics where held everywhere. They rushed to make the vaccine. The result was that the flu never hit and more people died from the vaccine than the flu and many were from Guillian-Barre. It wasn't the flu but the hastily made vaccine that caused it.

But Guillian-Barre can occur for a variety of reasons and for the most part, just happens. You wouldn't have gotten the shot as babies were not part of the populace vaccinated...children over 2 were. I remember because my daughter was born in Jan of '76. And Guillian-Barre doesn't show up 16 years later. It's pretty quick in manifesting itself.

If they decide to make a flu vaccine for the current swine flu, it will be made much differently than the way they were made 33 years ago. Ask your doc about whether you should have it or not but if you've had other flu shots in the past few years, you should be just fine.

Jenny
Right. This time the vaccine-makers got a law passed, making them totally immune from liability of any kind. They must not have much confidence in their product.

I won't take it.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

Where did you hear it was hastily prepared?what does that mean?they rushed it because of the demand for it it's not rocket science to make the vaccines anymore.they are prepared vials the same ones used for seasonal vaccines.they just used a different virus to make it. It's all prepackaged by machines,it's not 1976.They messed up from he massive deaths from 1918 and panicked,a lessoned learned.it is scary and all very confusing,but the vaccine was produced to help people ,not hrt not to make a quick buck. TRust is hard, the government has made mistakes,bt they are people like us and they put the vaccines in production as fast as they could to prevent massive deaths lke what happened in 1918.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

For Alexain2006.....for some folks with autoimmune diseases, a flu shot is imperative. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I take a biologic drug called Orencia. It kills my immune system in order to kill my RA. If I don't get a flu shot, I risk getting very, very sick. And the same goes for others with autoimmune arthritic diseases. The drugs kill certain parts of the immune system.

And the flu vaccine this year does have a new twist. A local company has sequenced the DNA of the virus and has developed a vaccine designed specifically to cause the DNA not to replicate...a different approach and it doesn't use eggs. Unfortunately, it is not being used in the USA...they sent it to Australia for testing and use. They figured the good folks of the US would be too scared to use a new type of vaccine. Little did they know they'd be afraid to use the old type too!

Now if only I could find a flu shot!

Old 11-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

they have stations in ny for people who need it. The schools are sending out the emails. you go to the flu sites run by the cdc and i think they will be able to help you find a place to go. And I agree with what you wrote and their are many of us out there who had to get the vaccine and i just read a WHO report that made me feel great for once since all this vaccine hype came out. If you have an ipod there is a app pink box that says swine flu and it gives weekly updates on vaccine shippments and a direct link to places to get one. Good luck im sure you will find one, on a happy note 65 million persons have been vaccinated world wide to date so this should slow it up a lot.

Closed Thread