It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
(female)

ashlienicole HB User
How long is stomach flu/food poisoning supposed to last??

Hey everyone... I am new here but I just had a question about the stomach flu or food poisoning. In the middle of the night last night around 4 am, my boyfriend woke up extremely sick. He woke up with terrible stomach cramps and was throwing up every twenty five minutes and had the chills and a very bad headache. The vomitting lasted until around eleven o'clock this morning, and he was having diarrhea the whole time as well, and even though he has stopped throwing up, he still has bad diarrhea. He has a fever and says he feels very week and his legs, back and head hurt and the stomach cramps are almost unbearable. He hasn't been able to eat and he's only recently been having small sips of water. My question is, does it sound like he has some kind of stomach bug or food poisoning? He ate at Wendy's yesterday around noon, but his friend ate there as well with him, and he feels fine. Also, how long is the stomach flu or food poisoning supposed to last? It is his 25th birthday tomorrow and I have a big dinner planned with a whole bunch of his friends... I don't know if he will be well by tomorrow, but I am really hoping he will be because it is his birthday and all and I will feel just awful for him if he is still sick like he is right now. I appriciate any answers

Old 07-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
(female)

ashlienicole HB User
How long is the stomach flu/food poisoning supposed to last??

Hey everyone... I am new here but I just had a question about the stomach flu or food poisoning. In the middle of the night last night around 4 am, my boyfriend woke up extremely sick. He woke up with terrible stomach cramps and was throwing up every twenty five minutes and had the chills and a very bad headache. The vomitting lasted until around eleven o'clock this morning, and he was having diarrhea the whole time as well, and even though he has stopped throwing up, he still has bad diarrhea. He has a fever and says he feels very week and his legs, back and head hurt and the stomach cramps are almost unbearable. He hasn't been able to eat and he's only recently been having small sips of water. My question is, does it sound like he has some kind of stomach bug or food poisoning? He ate at Wendy's yesterday around noon, but his friend ate there as well with him, and he feels fine. Also, how long is the stomach flu or food poisoning supposed to last? It is his 25th birthday tomorrow and I have a big dinner planned with a whole bunch of his friends... I don't know if he will be well by tomorrow, but I am really hoping he will be because it is his birthday and all and I will feel just awful for him if he is still sick like he is right now. I appriciate any answers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
(female)

seagoddess HB User
Re: How long is the stomach flu/food poisoning supposed to last??

sounds like the "stomach flu" to me. it is really called viral gastroenteritis. it can last for anywhere from 3-10 days. i doubt if he will feel much like celebrating tomorrow. sorry!

Old 07-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How long is stomach flu/food poisoning supposed to last??

Food poisoning usually about 24-36 hours. Stomach flu can last longer. Try to get some gatoraid, etc down him to keep him hydrated.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: How long is stomach flu/food poisoning supposed to last??

Hi, and welcome to the boards.

I just went through this with my son. If your boyfriend has a fever over 100.4, is vomiting, achy, has diarrhea and body cramps...he likely has influenza, or the flu. When my son became terribly sick, very quickly, and I could not get into our family doctor right away, I took him to the emergency room. He was diagnosed with Influenza A, the virus strain that includes the swine flu (he did not test positive for swine flu).

He was treated with I.V. fluids, pain medication, and prescribed "Tamiflu" to reduce the flu symptoms, and kill the virus. Our whole family had been exposed, so we needed Tamiflu too. Within two days, my son was feeling much better, and the rest of us avoided the flu altogether. Quick treatment is a good idea with this powerful flu going around the world. Tamiflu is very expensive...$9.50 per pill, 10 pills required without insurance. $3.10 for 10 pills with insurance. It's well worth it, at any cost.

I wish you well...

Closed Thread