It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
(female)

finalfantasia HB User
swine flu help!!

Heya everyone,

well yesterday my elder sister was diagnosed with Swine flu, she is coping with it and it is ok. What i am worried about is the me, my boyfriend, my mum, my dad and my other sister had very close contact with her the day before she was diagnosed, so we are all a bit cautious at the moment. I am very worried about my mum as she has had quite a bad medical history, and me and my boyfriend have asthma.
Anyway i am currently on Macrodantin nitrourantoin capsules for a UTI, i am only on them for 3 days and i started them the day my sister was diagnosed.
My boyfriends mum is a nurse, and she say that i am lucky because im on these antibiotics, they will the germs before they start to show. Is this true? im on these tablets to treat a bacterial infection and not a viral infection, and i have felt a bit chesty today, but nothing else.

My boyfriend and my family have been fie so far, but im scared as my mum and my boyfriend are most vulnerable, what do you guys think? if anyone could give me some help on this subject it would be much appreciated!! thanks!!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

seagoddess HB User
Re: swine flu help!!

so far, the swine flu has been fairly mild. you are right, the anti-biotics won't protect you from a virus. try not to stress out over this because stress lowers your immune system. try not to worry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

My son came home from summer camp with Influenza A, and was treated for swine flu in the emergency room. I am also a high risk person, so I was also prescribed the same medication..."Tamiflu".

My teenage son recovered very quickly due to the Tamiflu, and I avoided being infected at all, due to taking the Tamiflu.

With my insurance, Tamiflu costs $3.10 for 10. Without insurance, Tamiflu runs $9.50 a pill, so $95.00 for 10. it was worth the investment, no doubt about it.

Best to you...

Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
(female)

trickey280 HB User

Whoa you BF's mom said thank goodness you are on antibiotics? UMMM...any nurse would know that swine flu is caused by a virus not bacteria which is what antibiotics kill.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
(female)

00Jen00 HB User

The swine flu scare was just silly really, swine flu is very contagious, but the symptoms are usually very mild. So, while it spreads rapidly, getting it should not be scary! Of course, mild or not, it sucks to have the flu, but this is not something to be too paranoid about. Stay calm, take in good nutrition, and drink lots of fluids. If you get it, you may not feel much worse than if you had a cold. If you don't get it, good!

And you're right, the anti-bac meds won't make any difference with a virus.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Jen00 View Post
The swine flu scare was just silly really, swine flu is very contagious, but the symptoms are usually very mild. So, while it spreads rapidly, getting it should not be scary! Of course, mild or not, it sucks to have the flu, but this is not something to be too paranoid about. Stay calm, take in good nutrition, and drink lots of fluids. If you get it, you may not feel much worse than if you had a cold. If you don't get it, good!

And you're right, the anti-bac meds won't make any difference with a virus.
Why does the news scare you though if it is not serious? I am really worried about the winter months coming up. I have a 6 year old and 8 year old but we don't have any medical conditions. I would like to get the vaccine but because it is so new I worry about that too. I have anxiety over the whole situation. I put myself and my kids on vitamin D and probiotics and a immune booster vitamin. We are always washing our hands wherever we go. We avoid public bathrooms. During the winter we will avoid large crowds and going out to dinner.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #7
(female)

00Jen00 HB User

The news media has sensationalized swine flu - what does "GLOBAL EPIDEMIC" make you think of? Swine flu has the contagious power to be classified as an epidemic. But, that doesn't make it a dangerous flu. Compared to the more "classic" flu strains, swine flu is much less common and less fatal.

The vaccine should be safe - the flu vaccine is tweaked for every virus it is expected to fight, but it is basically the same formulation as other flu vaccines.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:19 AM   #8
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User

it can be very dangerous. no one has immunity to it and even if you are young and healthy you can get a cytokine storm and die. you should not be so non chalant about it.

i suggest you read up on two things. the 1918 influenza pandemic (H1N1-2009 is presenting with similar symptoms... deadly pneumonia, organ failure, young victims) and the 1976 swine flu vaccine.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

now i am nervous again

Old 08-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
(female)

00Jen00 HB User

* Disallowed website link and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Of the estimated 50,000 cases of flu mortality last year, less than a thousand were caused by H1N1! This virus has a 0.1-0.5% estimated mortality (and even that may be an overestimation, because people who don't get seriously sick may stay home and self-treat instead of reporting to a doctor), which is lower than the typical seasonal flus we combat, and much much lower than the especially virulent strains of 1918 and 1957-8.

Basically, although it is highly contagious, it is not extremely potent, and the H1N1 strain will likely move through the population, and become one of the endemic strains that we deal with all the time. It came to attention because we saw some early atypical mortalities - people who were young and healthy. But it probably simply wasn't noticed when it killed the elderly and the weak, which are the usual flu mortalities, and likely didn't alarm anyone or raise any red flags at that point. And yes, "normal" flu viruses can kill the strong too, it isn't the norm, but it's not unheard of! And "normal" flu viruses can cause a cytokine storm too. There is nothing here that is unique to swine flu which makes it more dangerous than a typical flu. Many flu-related deaths involve pneumonia and organ failure - that too is not unique to swine flu.

That said, I don't want to sound nonchalant - we should all take precautions to avoid catching the flu. But swine flu is just another virus, and continuing to take normal precautions (hand washing, etc.) is really all the average person needs to do!

Try asking your doctor or a researcher about H1N1 - I have asked multiple doctors, and I am an Animal Science student, so I've talked to some very knowledgable and informed professors, so this is not just my opinion that I'm pulling out of thin air (I did some research on it to prove to my grandparents that NO I was NOT going to get swine flu from my pigs and die). The universal opinion I've gotten is that the government and the media have grossly mismanaged information regarding this virus, and while *normal* caution relating to flu should be taken, it is not cause for undue fear, and this virus is not strong enough to cause anything remotely close to the terrible flu pandemics that people fear will recur.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-20-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed links as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

The report today really scared me.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

The information about the potential effect of swine flu is simply that...information: to inform us, NOT scare us.

There is not a vaccine available yet to counter the current strain of swine flu, but one is expected by October 09. Tamilflu is a medication that greatly decreases the symptoms, or stops the flu altogether, and is available, but only after you become sick, or if you are in a high risk group determined by your doctor, and have been directly exposed.

To stress yourself, and your children about it is counter-productive...Instead, be pro-active. Keeping your hands clean, and yourself healthy are good measures for everyone to take. If you feel ill, see a doctor. Other than that, enjoy each day, have a positive outlook on life, and be a good person. That is all any of us can do. If you find yourself obsessing about anything, you need to address obsessing itself, not the matter over which you obsess. That is good mental health.

I wish you the best.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
(female)

lucall HB User

Please read the side effects of Tamiflu???

Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Lucall,

Like any medication, Tamiflu lists potential side effects. According to the patient information pamplet, the side effects are below:

Nausea w/o vomiting 10%
Vomiting 9%
Diarrhea 7%
Bronchitis, Abdominal pain, Dizziness, and headache, cough 2%
insomnia, vertigo, fatigue 1%

So, that means that 90-99% of users have few or no side effects. In my case, and my son's case, we had no side effects, only great results. His flu was limited to two days duration, and I avoided the flu altogether.

Not to mention, that the potential side effects are very close to the typical symptoms of the flu itself, less the fever and the sore throat.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Jen is the voice of reason. I think the media has blown this way out of proportion. More people die of the annual flu than the Swine flu "epidemic". I am more wary of the vaccine than the flu itself. I remember the Swine Flu debacle of 1976. What a disaster that was More people died or were disabled by the vaccine than by the flu. It worries me that they want to give all children & pregnant women this vaccine first and before it's been thoroughly tested. The government has also made the pharma companies blameless if something should go wrong. Just relax, do some research and follow the regular things you do to avoid the flu every year. Take care.

Closed Thread