It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User
Torn on regular flu shot for 2 year old???

My daughter will be 2 in October. Last year she did not get the flu shot because I really never took her out and she is not in daycare so the doctor said she should be fine. I have never gotten the flu shot and have never gotten the flu. I just don't know if I should give her the shot or not? I will not give her the swine flu vaccine. I do vaccinate her with the regular vaccine schedule. I know this is such a debatable issue and I do not mean to start up a big thing...just looking for some advice or input???

Do the kids usually get sick after getting the vaccine?
Is the shot even the current strain of the flu?

Thanks in advance!
cmarie
*Olivia Grace born 10/23/07...our little miracle!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Torn on regular flu shot for 2 year old???

I would say not to get the flu shot, she doesn't need it. First and most importantly, I encourage anyone who has not read an actual package insert from the shot, to read it. If you are comfortable with certain chemicals, metals and DNA being injected into the body then okay.

Something else to think about is that nobody talks about natural prevention or building up your immune system naturally. I can tell you I have a 3.5 year old daughter who has never been sick in her life yet. I stopped vaccines at 12 months (personal choice) and she never had a flu shot before.

I practice prevention. I give her Herbs for Kids brand Echinacea, daily vitamins, plenty of sunshine. If I believe she could get sick, such as when she little friends are sick, which they constantly are, then I give her Grapefruit Seed Extract. I also like to add essential oils such as bergamot, lavendar, and eucalyptus to her baths. What does these things have in common? Natural defense against sickness and they build up the immune system. These things are naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal.
Drinks like Naked fruit juice which are full fruits are good and the use of pro-biotics.

Something else to think about is that our bodies are not made for chemicals and we bombard them daily with the chemicals that are in our genetically modified and packaged foods. When we slather on body wash, lotion, etc. we also are putting chemicals directly into our bodies as well as environmental toxins and cleaning products. Basically what happens is that our bodies work hard to try to filter out these things because they do not belong. When you get a flu shot, you are injecting more toxins into the body which futher weakens your natural immune system's ability to fight, so it really doesn't make sense.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 09-08-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User

I gave my son the flu shot last year when he was 1 and everything turned out fine. I work at a health care facility so they request that all employees get the flu shot as well, seeing as how we are exposed to it day in and day out. I get one and have for the past 5 years or so. I skipped it one year and got terribly sick. Could have just been coincidence or not. I can't be for certain. I do know that you have to do what is right for you and your family. For some its getting the shots and immunizations, for others its all natural preventative routes.

Whatever your stance is, you know in your heart what is right for your child. Every family and every person is different. Good luck in your decision!

Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

We all get the flu shot in my family. You can practice BOTH medical and natural ways to prevent the flu. Nothing is 100% either way. You could still get the flu with a shot and of course, without. My son has never had a reaction to the shot and I feel good about giving it to him each year. However, I am not sure if I plan to give my son the swine flu shot. Still reading and educating myself on that issue.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Thanks for the tips on Natural Prevention. I am debating the flu shot also. I never had a flu shot until I was pregnant and was told over and over that I needed it since I was due in March and pregnant during the peak of the flu season. I was terrified, but it turned out fine. I got it last year also, but never got it for my DD who was under 1 then. I will get the flu shot for myself and her (she is 18M now) this year, but the H1N1, I'm not so sure about for either of us. I've got some research to do, and I am waiting to see what Dr. Sears posts on his website. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have done a ton of research on these topics throughout college. What we need to see if that the drug companies spend more money reaching out to doctors and the general public with their advertising than on research and development. They spend billions of dollars each year sending represenatives to visit doctor, handing the free samples and other kickbacks and prizes if they promote and push their brand of vaccine or drug. With that said, most doctors you can't rely on.

It is always best to research the ingredients and the history and what the flu is for yourself. They report that 36,000 people die from the flu each year, however that number is highly skewed and the real number is between 1,000 and 1,800 people. They factor is pneumonia which isn't the flu and it is mainly the elderly and very sick people with bad prexsisting health conditions who may suffer that fate.

Did you know that if a flu shot is dropped and broken, a special hazmat prodecure must take place to clean it up. Thats right. Full hazmat coveralls, facial mask, gloves, and booties.

As far as the H1N1, if you are okay with adjuvants, squalene, and mercury being put into the body, then this is the shot for you. These chemicals can induce autoimmune diseases among many other things. What does not make sense to me is that we get a flu shot to try to prevent the flu.

However, the long list of chemicals and toxins being shot into the body with the flu shot only further lower and jeopardize the immune system because you immune system tries to deal with the foreign contaminants you just introduced and while the immune system is weak and bust with that, virus and bacteria can make you sick, which you may have not got sick from otherwise.

Have you ever heard anyont else really advocated building up the immune system naturally? Do you wonder why no one speaks about it? All you ever hear about it the flu shot or washing your hands........It is really too bad the real information about boosting the immune system naturally isn't out there more because if you understand science and the human body, it is easy to understand why herbs, vitamins, and minerals and most beneficial to the bodu, not a chemically laden flu shot.

All I can say that I practice prevention and my toddler daughter has never been sick, no colds, coughs, or runny noses either. I expose he to her constantly sick friends and she never gets sick. I concentrate on building her immune system. If she gets sick someday, then so be it, it is part of life and it happens. I hope this helps to put it into perspective.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 09-25-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

My son and I both got our flu shots last week. My son has asthma (asthma is hereditary and my husband had it as a child as well). I am not taking the chance of my son getting sick with the flu. Better safe than sorry in my opinion. I also work on my son's immune system and even put echinacea in his drinks and give him multivitamins.

I remember having the flu as a child for an entire week and it was pure hell. It truly isn't fun!

If the flu shot was so horrible, it would have been recalled by now. When medications or shots show a history of major side effects, then it is "pulled from the shelves", so to speak.

Like I said earlier, I would not give my son a H1N1 shot b/c it doesn't have a history right now. I don't feel comfortable with it b/c it is so new.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It takes time for vaccines to be recalled. Many people need to experience additional side effects and only a small percentage of side effects are actually officially reported.

Some people believe in the flu shot and that is fine. I advocate that each person understand which chemicals and toxins are in these shots and understand how the affect the body and if you still feel that it is what you really need, then go for it. Personally, it isn't worth the risk in my opinion. I would rather keep those chemicals and toxins out of my child's body because they are not beneficial and healthy.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Just remember, you can always choose to do a vaccine later, but once done, you can never take them back. IMO, if you're even wondering "if" then I would say "don't".

Old 09-27-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

The flu shot has been around long enough that it would have been recalled by now. There is very little risk with the flu shot. People can die from the flu; it is very rare that someone would die from a flu shot.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Exclamation Re: Torn on regular flu shot for 2 year old???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly Kelly View Post
The flu shot has been around long enough that it would have been recalled by now. There is very little risk with the flu shot. People can die from the flu; it is very rare that someone would die from a flu shot.
Yikes! The opposite is more true. Most of the people that die from the flu have other very serious health problems and most of them are elderly. The number of people dying from the flu in the US is between 1,000 and 1,800. The number the CDC throws out (36,000) is highly skewed and that flu number actually includes pneumonia which isn't the flu and again it is mostly elderly folks and those with bad pre-exsisting health conditions.

Do you realize how many ways the chemicals in the flu shot can effect you? Do you have any autoimmune diseases? These chemicals can "turn on" and stimulate your immune system to wear it won't turn off and your body begins to essentially attack itself. Once you have an autoimmune disease you are likely to develop more from the antibodies floating around in your body.

The heavy metals such as thimersol or mercury accumulate in the tissues of the brain and contribute to alzheimers disease among many, many other health ailments.

The toxins alter the tissues in the body and giving your body a bad PH balance and that allows sickness and disease to happen. A person that is PH balanced doesn't have an enviroment within their body where disease can mutate. These things need to be considered.

The flu shot is changed each year, so the virus chosen changes with it. It is beneficial is people educate themselves in biology and understand the chemicals and the effects on the body and what happens once those chemicals are introduced to the body and immune system.

You have to ask yourself, knowing the toxins and chemicals.....what are these chemicals? What is the purpose? What do they do to the body? If you don't know those answers, you need to start researching.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 09-27-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

We do not get the flu shot in our family. I'm not anti-vaccinations (we're all up to date on those!), just anti flu shot and super anti pig flu shot! But the question was on regular flu shots, so I'll focus on that.....

We don't get the flu shot because I've just never felt like it would be worth the trouble. I hate shots, my kids hate shots, and it just seems like a big fuss for something that may or may not work.

There are no guarantees with the flu shot. Some people actually get the flu from getting the shot. Other people get the flu in spite of getting the flu shot. There are others who get the flu shot and are just fine and others who don't get the flu shot and end up getting the flu. Still, there are others don't get the flu shot and don't get the flu either.

So I would guess this is probably the least helpful post here so far!

I do feel the need to address one thing slightly off topic.... BellyKelly, be careful about how much faith you put into the system as far as things being recalled. Drugs can be out for years and doctors will swear by them, only to find out that oops, they cause cancer, or heart failure, or some chronic lung issues or whatever. Sometimes it just takes that long for symptoms to be made manifest, and then it takes time for the symptoms to be linked to whatever drug, and then it takes more time for whomever is in charge to decide to take a look at it and figure out if it's actually the drug causing the symptoms, or if it's something else..... I'm just saying, don't go into anything blindly, thinking that it's all okay just because the FDA says it is. All it takes is for one guy to have one bad day and not do his job right just one time.....

Anyway.... just my thoughts on it all.

Last edited by marisuela; 09-27-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS has cystic fibrosis and he along with any family, friends and caregivers in close proximity to him get the shot as well. None of us have had any side effects and have remained influenza free these past 6 years. We also plan on getting the H1N1 vaccine as well.

I've actually been getting the flu shot for about 16 years after a coworker got influenza, developed a secondary infection and almost died. He was relatively healthy and it was pretty scary.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #14
(female)

Dawnsdays HB User

I say don't do it. Let her build up a good, strong healthy immune system naturally. Just because people say they got the shot and didn't get any bad side effects doesn't mean they still won't. Our country is one of the unhealthiest countries out there. There are so many autoimmune diseases, cancers, syndromes (like fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, etc.) and more. Who's to say that the chemicals in the shot won't make you sick years down the road? They are doing testings on chemicals in our blood, and the results are very frightening. I personally have recently thought I might be coming down with rhumatoid arthritis. When I went to the rhumatologist he said the hepatitis b vaccine given as a child can cause this disease later in life. I was shocked by what I heard. Ask any rhumatologist and they will tell you they think that vaccine is what causes this debilitating disease. I wouldn't do it. What is a few days of uncomfortableness with a flu compared to a debilitating illness that lasts a lifetime. Listen to the first ladies advice. She knows what she's talking about.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaIn2006 View Post
As far as the H1N1, if you are okay with adjuvants, squalene, and mercury being put into the body, then this is the shot for you.
Flu vaccines in the US, including the 2009 novel H1N1 "swine" flu version, do not contain adjuvants, squalene or otherwise. And thimerosal (the preservative that contains mercury) free single dose prefilled needle versions are available, as well as nasal sprays that also do not contain thimerosal.

Closed Thread