It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
(male)

just1primate HB User
When Pigs Fly

Do any of you Pure "O" folks who obsess bout health, find that the swine flu media is driving you NUTS!? I can't stop worrying about getting it, or my son getting it at school. I swear I take my temperature 40 times a day...gah. I hate the news lol.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
(male)

ExtremelyWired HB User
Re: When Pigs Fly

Yes, I obsess over getting the swine flu also, but from every thing I’ve read about it, a cough is the first symptom. The fever and body aches follow. So …..I wouldn’t start to panic until you get a nagging cough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
(male)

endless october HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1primate View Post
Do any of you Pure "O" folks who obsess bout health, find that the swine flu media is driving you NUTS!? I can't stop worrying about getting it, or my son getting it at school. I swear I take my temperature 40 times a day...gah. I hate the news lol.
i'm nervous about it. i'll be getting the H1N1 shot and the seasonal. i do so every year.

there's a lot of stuff on the internet posted by the anti-vaccine woo-woos who have never taken an immunology or virology course. and 99.9 percent of it is absolute nuttery.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

Well for one i am very worried of getting it or my children getting it for that matter. As for the news i must say at least they keep us informed. Yes, it has become out of control and that makes us more fearful, but as for you taking your temperature constantly you really don't have to because if you get a fever your body will definately tell you that you have one. If you get the swine flu i think you will also know. Just try to follow the recommendations like frequent hand washing and staying away from people who are sick and you may not even get it.

Last edited by fufu; 10-16-2009 at 10:33 AM.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
(female)

daisyanna HB User

I'm not worried about it. I take 1000 IU of vitamin D daily, and 2,000 mg of vitamin C daily. You should do a little research on the vital importance of those two inexpensive vitamins on preventing flu. Pretty remarkable!

We are eating extra amounts of leafy greens and fresh produce. No sodas, no junk food. We feel calm and protected.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

Vitamin c and d are both great vitamins to be taking especially during the winter months and especially if you don't get adequate amounts through your diet. Where i live we do not get an adequate amount of sun so the d is definately needed.
Myself and my family are also taking these vitamins, though it is not a proven fact that these vitamins protect you from getting the flu.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
(female)

daisyanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufu View Post
Vitamin c and d are both great vitamins to be taking especially during the winter months and especially if you don't get adequate amounts through your diet. Where i live we do not get an adequate amount of sun so the d is definately needed.
Myself and my family are also taking these vitamins, though it is not a proven fact that these vitamins protect you from getting the flu.
I believe it HAS been proven. I know is I am CONVINCED by the research, and we faithfully take our vitamins, and now we take extra C and D during the flu season. I haven't had the flu in 15 years. (I never get those flu shots.)

Last edited by moderator2; 10-18-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: please do not discuss the moderators

Old 10-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

We had our seasonal flu shots 3 weeks ago and are eagerly awaiting the H1N1 Vaccine. A couple weeks ago while on a business trip, DH contracted the H1N1 flu and he said it was the WORST he'd ever felt. He's had influenza a before and this was a LOT worse. He said his lung actually hurt and that he didn't know how our elementary school child would do if he contracted it. Nasty stuff and it's scaring the heck out of me.

I'm checking the local health department site daily for word as to when we'll get the vaccine. I'm scared to death!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

nero HB User

I have trepidations about the vaccine especially when after years of Hormone Replacement Therapy and Birth Control pills research has rendered the conclusion that they cause predisposition to cancer. As well the latest vaccine for cervical cancer for young girls which has no history and which they fail to tell you how many girls are flat out ill from it for months or who go anaphylatic etc. So, the thought of taking an untested serum and/or risking it on my child is very concerning. I am all for conventional medicine in emergency situations and aware that alternative medicine has years of history behind it ie. Vit C/D being taken by 88 year old Noble Prize winning scientists in mega doses who render their medical knowledge to the elite (like the queen mother who was/is over a 100 years old) So, having had a mega flu myself in the end of june to begin'g of August and having survived it I think I would rather have built my natural immunity to the next bout of this flue.
In the end..you have to look yourself in the mirror and decide but people have not been informed that this flu also reared its ugly head back in the 50s and 70s I believe and there was no immunization and people survived it.

So correct me pLEZZZZZ if I am misinformed.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Sillygrl HB UserSillygrl HB User

I am the same way about being freaked out by all the hype!! The more I hear about the flu or the more I google info about it, the more I start to sweat and feel the dread. I think that the best thing is to stop freaking out (hard to do for OCD folks, believe me, I am one). I think everyone is failing to see that the people dying from the flu have compromised immune systems or they have some underlying health issue. If you have a strong immune system and no health issues, you should be fine. I am sure the flu is no walk in the park, but you will get better. I am a pre-service teacher and every day at least 2 kids are gone, but believe me after a week they are back, rosy cheeked and full of energy. The media has made this into a WAY bigger fiasco than it truly is.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyanna View Post
I'm not worried about it. I take 1000 IU of vitamin D daily, and 2,000 mg of vitamin C daily. You should do a little research on the vital importance of those two inexpensive vitamins on preventing flu. Pretty remarkable!

We are eating extra amounts of leafy greens and fresh produce. No sodas, no junk food. We feel calm and protected.

I started the same program about a year ago - my kids take 7 different vitamins, exercise, and they eat right. No candy or sugar of any type. They also take a kids yoga class. I take 11 different vitamins, acupuncture, and we started to juice carrots, apples. I even do holistic treatment as well. Thinking I was on top of all of this and feeling so secure FOR ME IT DIDN'T DO A BIT of GOOD. My husband brought home a virus to us last Friday and we are convinced it is swine flu. It started as a nasty cough and put the whole family down in hours. We all got a fever, congestion in the chest, cough, aches, no appetite, my daughter had vomiting. My son's temp got up to 103 degrees. If that wasn't swine flu I don't what was. I am still down and this is the 5th day with it. We all went to the doctors and all they could confirm was that it was a virus. I never get a fever. Even with pneumonia I never got a fever. So if it wasn't swine flu I couldn't imagine anything worse than what we just went through. Plus I was able to get the swine flu vaccine for my kids.

So I urge everyone please be careful and don't take this flu lightly. You hate to hear the bad news on the local news but it affects people in different ways. Great immune system or not.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Another thing - haven't got the flu in 10 years and this was a flu but it felt like it.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:11 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

Unfortunately the fact is that for unknown reasons it is hitting people in their prime with strong immune systems. Healthy teenagers with no underlying medical conditions are dying, that is the scariest part. Unlike the regular flu it is not targetting the very young and the elderly or people with weak immune systems, that's what makes it different and more frightening as they don't know why and they don't know who. Everyone is at risk.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your exactly right.

Closed Thread