It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
(female)

mouscelia HB User
Does this sound like Swine Flu?

I have been very sick for several days now and i'm not getting a good answer from my doctor as to what it is. My blood tests are not suggesting whether this is viral or bacterial, she said i'm on the edge of either. I've been reading about swine flu and i have a lot of the symptoms but not some of the ones you would most expect. I've read that some people with swine flu don't have a fever or all of the expected flu symptoms.

Here is what i have going on:

1. confirmed tonsillitis (unknown as to if its viral or bacterial)
2. fever, headache, extreme fatigue, moderate body aches, really sore throat, postnasal drip, sneezing, nausea & diarrhea, a little bit of nasal congestion. I don't have a cough or runny nose.

Mainly i just feel very ill in nonspecific ways. The worst symptoms are the aches/fatigue/nausea/throat.

What do you think? Should i treat this like it could be swine flu? The doctors are no longer confirming because it is so widespread here.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Does this sound like Swine Flu?

You can look on the CDC website or the one for your local health department for more specifics.

In my state right now, 100% of the flu that people are getting right now is H1N1. The seasonal stuff hasn't hit yet.

Our local health departments recommend people stay away from work/school/ etc... if they have a fever with a cough and/or sore throat. The diarrhea is also a symptoms for some with the H1N1.

Really, despite the designation of swine flu or not, you should be resting, staying hydrated and treating your symptoms as needed and not going out to expose others. If you get bad enough, go to your ER for treatment, especially if you are getting too dehydrated. You should be fever free without fever-reducers for 24-48 hours before returning to work or school. After that, make sure you wash hands frequently so you don't catch things again. Getting a seasonal flu shot when you feel better might be a good idea as well.

Take care,
MountainReader

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Hi Mouscelia,

From what i am hearing on the news is Swine flu needs to be treated as any flu. MountainReader is giving you alot of detail advice.

Please stay home , away from others and treat your flu symptoms.
Hope you get over this quick. Get lots of rest.

Wish you well
BeHappy2

Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

point08 HB User

Go to your health food store and buy some Vitamin D. This is without doubt the best defense against the flu. You should take at least 5000 iu a day.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
(female)

mouscelia HB User

well, i have missed an entire week of work now, and my fever is lower but i still have one. I have no vacation left until march now. :-( Still feeling run down, achy, sore throat, but its getting a little better. Guess it definitely wasn't bacterial because the antibiotics the first doctor gave me are not helping at all. Must be swine flu.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Glad to hear you are finally starting to hear better.

I know it affects your work and pay, but PLEASE do not go back to work until you are fever free for 24-48 hours. You will still be contagious if you return sooner.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
(female)

StillHopefull49 HB User
Red face Re: Does this sound like Swine Flu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouscelia View Post
I have been very sick for several days now and i'm not getting a good answer from my doctor as to what it is. My blood tests are not suggesting whether this is viral or bacterial, she said i'm on the edge of either. I've been reading about swine flu and i have a lot of the symptoms but not some of the ones you would most expect. I've read that some people with swine flu don't have a fever or all of the expected flu symptoms.

Here is what i have going on:

1. confirmed tonsillitis (unknown as to if its viral or bacterial)
2. fever, headache, extreme fatigue, moderate body aches, really sore throat, postnasal drip, sneezing, nausea & diarrhea, a little bit of nasal congestion. I don't have a cough or runny nose.

Mainly i just feel very ill in nonspecific ways. The worst symptoms are the aches/fatigue/nausea/throat.

What do you think? Should i treat this like it could be swine flu? The doctors are no longer confirming because it is so widespread here.
I had the swine flu a few weeks ago - talk about being run over by a mack truck - yep, it sounds like u got it. Or the beginnings of it. Mine started with a fiery sore throat, then vomiting, chest tightness and cough. Probabaly too late to take Tamiflu - 48 hours after onset of symptoms is latest it will be helpful. Drink plenty of fluids, turn, cough and deep breathe every two hours, try to cough up as much of the gunk as you can. If you develop chest pain or can't take enough fluids or develop a fever over 103 - call your doc, stat.

I felt really awful for 7-10 days, then just awful for another 7, then punky for another 7. Slow down, rest and quarantine yourself as best you can. Don't forget to get the regular seasonal flu vaccine when you feel better - you don't need the Swine flu vaccine now, you're immune.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
(male)

tj0218 HB User

I had the regular flu back in March and it was extremely bad. I had a 103 fever for about 5 days and during that time I was constantly dizzy, weak and nauseous. I couldn't even walk I was so sick.

I've heard that the Swine Flu isn't as bad but there are a lot of people getting it right now. I ended up in the hospital but most people I know haven't gotten too terribly sick with the Swine.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
(female)

Bayli oo my HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHopefull49 View Post
I had the swine flu a few weeks ago - talk about being run over by a mack truck - yep, it sounds like u got it. Or the beginnings of it. Mine started with a fiery sore throat, then vomiting, chest tightness and cough. Probabaly too late to take Tamiflu - 48 hours after onset of symptoms is latest it will be helpful. Drink plenty of fluids, turn, cough and deep breathe every two hours, try to cough up as much of the gunk as you can. If you develop chest pain or can't take enough fluids or develop a fever over 103 - call your doc, stat.

I felt really awful for 7-10 days, then just awful for another 7, then punky for another 7. Slow down, rest and quarantine yourself as best you can. Don't forget to get the regular seasonal flu vaccine when you feel better - you don't need the Swine flu vaccine now, you're immune.
I had a virus a few weeks ago, it wasnt that bad. But about 3 days ago I got a sore throat in the middle of the day. It just popped up. Then the next day I woke up feeling terrible. My symptoms as sore throat, runny nose,major aches and chills and a fever of 100.2. I don't have much of an appetite but Im not throwing up.

Does this sound like the beginnings of the swine flu or just a virus I never got rid of?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
(female)

dinky 1 HB User

Mouscelia, what part of Mo. are you from? I live in Southwest Mo.

Closed Thread