It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Exclamation Answers Please!!!

Okay, first of all, I'm not normally a worrier. But I'm completely freaked out right now.

My whole family (mom, brothers, sisters, their families....) all live in another state from me. My brother's family all came down with pig flu last week. They're all starting to get over it, but they gave it to my sister and her family. My nephew, who is 3, has it and he's just miserable with it. But he seems to be doing okay. You need to know this, so you understand that I know the pig flu is pretty much just like regular flu and that it isn't the scary killer disease the media tried to make it seem like.

That being said, my sister (3 year old nephew's mom) started showing symptoms of the flu last night.... high temp, body aches, etc. She figured it was probably the pig flu, same as everyone else, nothing to do with it except rest and drink a lot of fluids, etc. But this afternoon, she started wheezing a little bit, and within an hour, she was having severe shortness of breath and could barely talk to me over the phone. She sounded so weak.

My mom is taking her to the ER right now.

So I live a good day's drive away from them all, and I'm kind of freaking out. I don't normally freak out, but she just sounded so weak, and that's not her at all. She is very fit and healthy.... runs marathons, kick boxes, does yoga.... no underlying medical conditions.

So can anyone give me some ideas of what could have caused her to have gotten so bad so fast? When I look online, I keep seeing things about some new form of pig flu that affects the lungs, but then I haven't seen anything definitive. Is this a real thing, or just another stupid pig flu rumor that someone made up to scare people??? I'm so worried about my sister. I hate being so far away!!!!!

Last edited by marisuela; 10-08-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Re: Answers Please!!!

Swine Flu can attack the respiratory system.

I know a child with swine flu and 2 hours later another child began symptoms.
The adults who were near the children are now taking Tamiflu pills for 10 days.

The Swine Flu spreads rapidly. So whatever you are reading about the Lungs is not made up. It is a Respiratory Flu.

Hope this gives you some insight

Be Well
BeHappy2

Old 10-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

All influenzas cause respiratory problems, some worse than others. My son(31) and granddaughter(2) have this flu right now and both are having these respiratory problems and have needed to use inhalers as well as antibiotics and Tamilflu. The little one even had to go for injected antibiotics and breathing treatments as she's had 4 cases of pneumonia already in her short life. The doc put my daughter-in-law on Tamiflu as well since she's next in line to get it and hopefully it won't be as bad.

So this is to be expected and your mom did the right thing taking her to the ER. Probably needed a breathing treatment to open up her lungs. The lung problems are a lot like asthma but temporary.

So relax and if you get it, consider calling your doc and getting Tamiflu to shorten it and something for your breathing as it's bound to be a problem. Better yet, get the flu shot and hope it kicks in before the flu gets to your geographic area. Son and family are in Florida and got sick before any vaccine was available. I'm searching for it!

gentle hugs.................Jenny

Old 10-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Ditto Jennybyc.

One of my clients is a hospitalist pediatrician at the local CHildren's hospital. She says that the standard issue H1N1 can have asthma like symptoms in non asthmatic people.

I was asking her what lands kids in the hospital with this thing. Dehydration? That's when she explained about the respiratory distress. Needless to say, as the mother of a 2 year old, I didn't like that one bit. I am starting to think that *I*, a mostly non-believer in shots, will get the shot so I don't bring it home to him! If I can find it, that is!

ANyhoo, I say take it a day at a time and try not to freak out. And if you must freak out, just know you are not alone. I am freaking out too.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

It does affect the respiratory tract, that's why one would have breathing trouble.
The fact that your sister is strong and healthy will work in her favor. From what i have read symptoms get worse quickly. I hope your sister gets better really quickly, as for you freaking out, why wouldn't you? she's your sister and she's so far away, i cannot imagine. I am one that does not want to vaccinate my kids, from reading your story i am starting to question my decision. Hope your sister is better soon.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
(female)

daisyanna HB User

Tamiflu doesn't work very well. It only shortens flu symptoms by one day. And it has scary side-effects.

On the other hand, medical research has shown that elderberry tinctures, or Sambucol, shortens flu symptoms by 5 or 6 days. And it has no side-effects. Sambucol is very inexpensive, too.

Why is it that the CDC only pushes drugs and never mentions vitamin C or D, which have been proven to prevent the flu? It makes me not trust the CDC.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

Hello Marisuela,
Haven't heard from you so i thought i would check in. I hope your sister is feeling better.
Let us know how she's doing, we're all praying for her.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DH had it, was given tamiflu and recovered in about 5 days. His cousin is still recovering -- she's on day 7 but her fever is gone. Just is very tired, weak and has a headache. The person who infected DH while on a business trip is going on week 2 -- he's got a horrible cough. I've heard several people develop secondary bacterial infections -- pneumonia, bronchitis which is causing problems.

I hope the vaccine gets to our area soon!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
(female)

2Cruise4Ever HB User

DS has it and he's asthmatic, which is what made me concerned. We got him on Tamiflu in fewer than 24 hours of onset and now (3 days into it) he's doing much, much better. He hasn't needed his nebulizer at all today. And, he has suffered no side effects from the meds. I'm afraid that the vaccine will be too late.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
(female)

Dawnsdays HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cruise4Ever View Post
DS has it and he's asthmatic, which is what made me concerned. We got him on Tamiflu in fewer than 24 hours of onset and now (3 days into it) he's doing much, much better. He hasn't needed his nebulizer at all today. And, he has suffered no side effects from the meds. I'm afraid that the vaccine will be too late.
How old is your son? My son has asthma and is 6. The vaccine won't be available until Monday so I'm afraid he'll catch it before then. Did your son have to use the nebulizer alot the first couple days? Any answers would help. thanks.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:48 AM   #11
(female)

2Cruise4Ever HB User

He's 11. And, yes he used his nebulizer 3-4 times a day the first few days. That and getting him on Tamiflu within 24 hours of symptom-onset made a huge difference. From start to finish the whole thing was about 5 days. Not bad at all. But, we watched him like a hawk!

Old 10-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
(female)

Dawnsdays HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cruise4Ever View Post
He's 11. And, yes he used his nebulizer 3-4 times a day the first few days. That and getting him on Tamiflu within 24 hours of symptom-onset made a huge difference. From start to finish the whole thing was about 5 days. Not bad at all. But, we watched him like a hawk!
That's good to hear. Thank God that it didn't get any worse for him. We are waiting until tomorrow to get the flumist. Take care.

Closed Thread