It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
What Are Your Swine Flu Symptoms?

If you have, or have had, the Swine Flu, what were your symptoms and how long did they last.

I had something a month ago that started with a fever (101.7) aches, and weakness. In addition, I had nausea, vomiting and diarhea. The fever lasted 4 days along with everything else. The fatigue went on for 2 weeks.

I did not have a cough or sore throat and was wondering if you could have SF without them.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
(female)

2Cruise4Ever HB User
Re: What Are Your Swine Flu Symptoms?

DS has it and his symptoms are classic: fever 101, chills, body aches, cough, sore throat, stuffy nose, and diarrhea. His doc says that the cough is what triggered him to believe it's H1N1. Everyone I know who has had H1N1 had a bad, bad cough.

Last edited by 2Cruise4Ever; 10-20-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DH had a fever of 102 WITH ibuprofen. Body aches, headache, slept 20 hours a day, horrible cough -- said his lungs burned and hurt worse than they ever had before in the past when he got sick. Once he started tamiflu, the gunk in his lungs started to clear up -- meaning he was coughing UP a lot of crud. Very loose stools.

Once his fever went away he still had a headache and was very tired and week for a day or so.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Thank you for your help. I guess that I did not have Swine Flu because I did not have the cough. Shoot. I wish that I did and it was over with.

I felt really bad but I guess that it was something else going around.

Thank you again for your reponses.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
(female)

bookluver HB User

I came down with some symptoms early this morning. Chills, achy joints and eyes, vomiting with diarrhea, and a headache with extreme fatigue. When I checked the CDC site for H1N1 symtoms here's what they are saying:

You may have the flu if you have some or all of these symptoms:

•fever *
•cough
•sore throat
•runny or stuffy nose
•body aches
•headache
•chills
•fatigue
•sometimes diarrhea and vomiting
*It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.

I know two people who have been tested and confirmed with H1N1 and had mild cases. Also on a news show interviewing a medical doctor, he said the seasonal flu is not out yet and that if you have flu symtoms it is probably
H1N1. He also said that most adults do not have diarrhea with seasonal flu. (I don't remember this as I haven't had the flu in over 20 yrs.)

The CDC (Center for Disease Control) also states:

Most people with 2009 H1N1 have had mild illness and have not needed medical care or antiviral drugs and the same is true of seasonal flu.

Here is the web address: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/sick.htm

Old 10-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I am sorry to hear about your illness. It sounds as if you have exactly what I had about 6 weeks ago. It took a week for the fever to go away and a week after that to feel almost normal.

However, I can't determine if you need a cough or a sore throat to say that it is H1N1.

I don't know if this ( what you and I have/had) is just a horrible GI virus or the flu.

I keep hearing that the H1N1 is a Respiratory Virus so therefore, we would need some respiratory symptoms.

Therein lies my confusion.

Keep us posted and I hope it passes sooner for you.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I guess I just had it - it started as a horrible deep cough that felt like knives stabbing your chest. I had a fever of 100.7 and it went through my family so fast. We felt dizzy at times and didn't want to eat so we just drank liquids. I went to the doctor and they said Swine flu is worse but I don't think they know either. Some people have mild symptoms of it and others get it real bad that they have to be hospitalized. My son got a 103 degree fever. I notice my whole county was flooded with the same symptoms and the emergency room was packed. I know it has to be swine flu because it was so contagious and a normal virus doesn't do that to us. Tylenol was the only thing that helped up.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
(female)

bookluver HB User

Twanger~ Guess we just won't know for sure. I spoke to my sister who is a nurse and she said just because we didn't have upper respiratory symtoms doesn't mean we didn't get H1N1. We might have gotten a milder case. It affects people differently. Anyway, I am feeling better today. I slept 12 hrs last night. Still very achy (my hands, knees and ankles esp.), headache and so very tired. But no more GI problems- thankfully!

Last edited by bookluver; 10-28-2009 at 07:30 AM. Reason: misspelling

Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Glad to hear that you are feeling better today. I hope that your sister is correct and this is finished with. That would be great.

I hope that you keep improving.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
(female)

BNLsMOM HB User

I think my DS has it. He woke up this morning with a terrible cough, fever which has reached 103.5, headache, stuffy nose, chills, sore throat and mild body aches. He already received his seasonal flu shot, so it it's flu, It's H1N1.

He has had high fevers before, but was always well enough to play. He has only managed to sit up a little bit when the tylenol kicked in.

If the fever reaches any higher, I will call the doctor again. They said that they didn't want me to bring him in unless he got worse or didn't improve in 24 to 48 hours. He has Asthma so I am extra careful.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

I had/have a terrible cough. It started 2 weeks ago along with a fever. It was a low fever, it never got higher than 100.5. Body aches, etc. Went to the doctor on day 3 and she said I had bronchitis. Received Zmax for it and some cough syrup. Have no problems at night sleeping with the cough syrup, but the daytime coughing to about to drive me insane. I have no cold or any other symptoms, only the cough. It's a horrible barking cough. So do you think this could have been H1N1? I have a baby, so I'm concerned. Oh and I had the regular flu shot at the beginning of the month.

Last edited by Accutane2X; 10-30-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add on

Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

It is really hard to say whether you have H1N1. That is why I started this post. There are soooo many people experiencing different symptoms, the tests are not reliable, and the CDC's analysis is confusing.

I guess if the CDC says that the H1N1 is the only virus that is hitting everyone so hard...you must have it.

However, whatever happened to the good old viruses that go around every winter?

A lot of confusion with this one!

Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
(female)

jholt HB User

Started with scratchy throat and cough. Turned into extreme sore throat, headache, body aches, swollen glands, and cough for 5 days. On day 6 went back to doctor and was diagnosed with bronichitis. Severe chest congestion, coughing up the nastiest mucus, and constant coughing. Here it is 14 days later and still have residual effects of tight chest, still coughing up mucus, extremely tired, and constant coughing. This is getting really old!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

This is the weirdest thing my whole family got hit with the same you described. We are on Day 6 feeling the same way as the first day. Thinking we will get better we are so tired. The chest thing is unbearable - I had to take my son back to the doctors today. My doctor and the kids doctor have told me it is just a virus but I never seen a virus do this to me before. I actually got a fever which I never do.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

My whole had the swine flu vaccine. With this virus all we got it was a horrible sharp nasty cough and we can't seem to shake it.

Last edited by gigi11; 10-30-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Closed Thread